Contraceptive pill & Weight gain?

Options
I was on the progesterone only contraceptive pill for about two years and during this time was when i gained most of the weight I'm now losing ( THANK YOU MY FITNESS PAL :) ) but not sure if it was because of it.
Weight gain with it happens to 1 in 10 women according to the side effects on the box :S

I havent taken the pill for over three months - the same amount of time I've been activly trying to lose weight, but now I want to go back on it, I'm just worried that it WAS the reason for my previous weight gain, and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem with it or any help :(

Thank you!!! :)

Replies

• ktbug1186
    Options
    I've never been on the pill, but my sister and two friends got on 3 different kinds of birth control and they all have massive appetites and been piling on the pounds :( So I don't know! It could be the way THEIR body reacted to it...Everyone is different!
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control for a long time and was still able to lose weight. Like the above post said, most of that weight gain is water retention. Add a splash of lemon juice to every glass of water and your body should let go of that extra water!. Otherwise, just stick to your calories and workouts! I've lost 25 pounds so far and am still on the pill! Good luck to you!
  • ashcrashly
    Options
    I too am on the minipill, and my weight shot up. A few months back, I had an abcessed tooth, and needed to go on antibiotics, so the birth control had to stop, and I lost weight, or at least inches. I've been taking them lately and it seems my weight is going down still. One thing I tell myself, I'd still prefer to gain a few pounds over having a baby right now!
  • amylouisem
    amylouisem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice people!! :D gonna be trying to keep the weight down and stay on the pill i think!

thank you again xx
  • AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    im beginning to think this is my problem. ive maintained eating habits (not the best in the world) over the past few years and maintained the same activity level and weight. well I got on BC and everything was fine for a while and during my 2nd 3rd round of the 3 mo cycle of my bc ive gained about 17 pounds :( i dont want to BLAME it on the bc, cause obviously i can work it off. but id just like to know if that is a contributing factor.