Lost 60 pounds on WW. Gained back and here I am!

Options
I lost nearly 60 pounds on Weight Watchers in 2009. I was sticking to points and running at least five days a week. I maintained my goal weight for about three months before some personal things got in the way. Now I've gained nearly all of the weight back.

I tried WW again about a year ago and it just wasn't working. I'm really lacking motivation and I'm hoping what seems like a great community here will be a source of inspiration for me to keep going.

Anyone else done Weight Watchers and ended up here? How do you compare the two?

Neil

Replies

• trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW to MFP.

Feel free to add me :)
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    113 lbs lost with weight watchers...worked for them...gained it back. Now using this and it is such a great help.
  • neilshane
    neilshane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks Track!

Why did you switch? What do you like better about MFP?
  • neilshane
    Options
    Congrats on 94 pounds Sheri! What do you like better about MFP?
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Me! I did WW for 4 months and then figured it wasn't worth paying 20$ a month (online WW) for something i could for free!
    MFP has a nicer and more helpful community!
    WW had me on the equivalent of 1040 calories a day and did not encourage me to eat back my exercise calories.
    I learned a lot about fitness and a healthy diet on MFP, and now i am on a 1400 cal a day and eating back my cal and losing weight!
  • neilshane
    Options
    I never ate my points back on WW. I sometimes wonder if that made the weight loss slower.
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know this story too well. I think MFP works because there are no 'magic points', it's simple calories in, calories out. I believe that MFP is also more realistic of lifestyle change, I feel more in control.
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I haven't used WW, but I have noticed others with your exact question. Since you're new and not to familiar with the site yet, you probably haven't noticed the "Search" option. Just type in WW and/or Weight Watchers (or other key words you're curious about) and it should lead you to past posts with other responses. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • Lauren344
    Lauren344 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost 44lb on WW in 2009 and put it all back on plus more! Been on here for nearly 14 week now and find it so much better than WW and its FREE! Haha good luck!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Don't know anything about WW, but I'm here because after 3 1/2 months of working out at least 5 days a week (cardio and weight training total of 80-90 minutes daily), I have yet to lose any real weight. I have seen some inch changes, but feel like I'm working really hard and wondering why the weight isnt coming off...and yes, I do need to lose actual weight! I feel a ton better since starting regular exercise, but I admit it's difficult to stay motivated when the lbs aren't coming off. Thought perhaps if I kept better track of calories and portions on here it would help. It's also nice to see success stories all around, whether the goals are moderate or large. Keep going, people!!
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 lbs with WW and pretty much kept it off except maybe 15 or so pounds. I just started MFP because I found that the new points system (without calories in the formula) just didn't help me shed these 15 lbs. I feel more in control with MFP and I love having friends that cheer me on.
  • neilshane
    Options
    Good work Chrissy! Thank you.
  • stacy71773
    Options
    Hey Neil, I too did the exact same thing. I lost a ton of weight on WW, things happened and it all came back. I tried to do WW again and the scale just won't budge. I'm giving this a try as I have counted calories before on another program and it worked so hopefully this time around will also work!

Feel free to add me :)
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've done WW 2x, had success and then couldn't keep up with the way to calculate points.
    MFP has been working GREAT for me!
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I gave WW a go about six years back and it just wasn't for me. For some reason, my body clings desperately to carbs, especially highly processed ones. I found that WW (at least, back then) put too much value in high carb, low fat eating and it didn't do anything at all for me.

I find the MFP is a much more realistic and encouraging tool to use, as it is so versatile. You can track things the same way whether you're strictly limiting calories, participating in low fat/high carb, trying on low carb/high protein, or any number of other eating plans. It also sets you up for success in terms of maintenance.

I'd love to have more MFP friends! Please feel free to add me :}
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    did WW and lost about 35/40 then I switched to here when WW changed to points plus.
    the more I was reading about the food the more I wanted to decide what was good for me or not, and WW was not teaching me anything in the end.
    Good to get you started though. Also exercise was not really rewared back then
  • vga2000
    vga2000 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Neil,

I am Vincent from the Netherlands. haven't done WW, but some healthier equivalent. Even though i have been on it for 1,5 years I'm still struggling.

I have lost 45lbs in 6 months and after that nothing happened anymore. Even though I started fitness 3 times a week. now I'm gaining again. So here I am.

If you'd like to add me, feel free. Good luck!!!

Kind regards,

Vincent