5 2 diet

Options
Anybody on the 5 2 diet and can say that it works?
Just ended my 1St day.
I just weighed myself and I'm astonished. I lost half a kilo (
1.1 pounds)
Any tips or anecdotes would be very welcomed.
Thank you
Janette

Replies

• littlered1981
    littlered1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi. i know a few people who are doing this and have lost quite a bit on it. can't do it myself because my blood sugar drops very quickly so just eating 500 cals on 2 days would make me a bit ill
    good luck with it !
    lucy x
  • NettyDiez
    NettyDiez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :-) thanks Lusy
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    what is the 5 2 diet exactly? (500 calories for 2 days) then what?
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    what is the 5 2 diet exactly? (500 calories for 2 days) then what?

The diet specifies a low calorie consumption (sometimes described as "fasting") for two days a week, which should not be consecutive, but allows normal eating for the other five days.[4][5] Men may eat 600 kcal (food calories) on fasting days, and women 500.[6] A typical fasting day may include a breakfast of 300 kcal, such as two scrambled eggs with ham, water, green tea, or black coffee, and a lunch or dinner of grilled fish or meat with vegetables, amounting to 300 kcal.[5] The daily 500 or 600 kcal limit requires small portions
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation :)

I think I will stick to my current regime :)
  • NettyDiez
    Options
    Then you eat what you want. My friend told me she eats cake. But I'm still sceptical sooooo I'll take it easy for the 1st week and see how I go.
    Its not easy but the 2 writers in the book (the fast diet written by
    Dr Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer) they say that it gets better.

A hell of a lot of scientific research behind this around the world.
  • shanodot
    shanodot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal on the 5:2 diet but I rarely eat cake or pie hahahaha. My personal tips that helped me on Fasting Days: For breakfast drink a protein shake like LeanBody. Really helps you get thru the day. If you get hungry, make hot tea. Gives you something flavorful and hot and a good change to water.
    There's a nice app for the 5:2 diet called TrackMyFast for android phones
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trackmyfast&hl=en
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There are a few groups on here about 5.2, just put 5.2 in the group search & take your pick

The non fast days you are expected to eat sensibly, not stuff one's face with burgers, chocolate cake & wine
  • NettyDiez
    Options
    How long did it take you to reach your goal?
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're eating around a maintenance level the other five days I guess I see how this could work. You've still got a ~3000 calorie deficit for the week but you're doing it all in two days. Personally I'd rather spread the deficit out over every day of the week so I don't become a miserable b**** every couple days.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options

this. why starve to only gain it back in a few days.
  • NettyDiez
    Options
    Thanks a million, I don't want to stuff my face. I normally east sensible but my portions are too big.
    I just bed a helping hand.
    My treat is Chinese take. This will have to stop I know.
  • NettyDiez
    Options
    Actually wasn't that bad. I'm a mother so rarely have time to stop
    And think about me. And today its a bank holiday in Ireland. The rest of the
    Time I'm working and then I get home and don't get to sit down till around 8.30
    If lucky. Do won't have tone to think about food.

I think I'll do well.
    Besides, my mum may have cancer again and one of the benefits is
    Prevention of cancer. My grand mother died of cancer, this is my mums second time.
    I want to do anything to prevent my little boy of going through what I did from the age of 17 till I was 20 and now again.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Assuming you're eating around a maintenance level the other five days I guess I see how this could work. You've still got a ~3000 calorie deficit for the week but you're doing it all in two days. Personally I'd rather spread the deficit out over every day of the week so I don't become a miserable b**** every couple days.

^^^^^This....no one would want to be around me for those 2 days a week...including myself
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The non fast days you are expected to eat sensibly, not stuff one's face with burgers, chocolate cake & wine

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is NOT a choice to make so you can eat like crap for the 5 days!!!! Clearly, if you are eating 500 calories for two days just so you can eat flipping cake the rest of the 5 you don't really care about being healthy.

And NO - I'm not saying you can't ever have cake. I just find that people use this diet as an excuse to eat crap.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There's tons of scientific evidence that either fasting or consistently eating below maintenance levels with promote longevity and prevent various diseases, but I'd honestly rather die a bit sooner and be happier! I could barely manage a 1500 calorie day (though strangely at 1900 calories I rarely meet that goal).
  • NettyDiez
    Options

this. why starve to only gain it back in a few days.
    I have to disagree. My friend has lost half a stone.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 5:2 diet since March, it is easily the best diet I have every tried as it is sustainable. My diary is open so take a look at what I eat. Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and yes, some cake! Look at the 5:2 group on MFP and Google Michael Mosley Fast diet. It works! Very popular in the UK.
  • csanner
    csanner Posts: 5
    Options
    I actually did it for one month. The shock to my system actually ended up giving me more energy and felt more alert during the day. I also lost 10lbs and gained 2 back... but I highly recommend it. When your system is bored you're more likely to retain fat. Same rules should be applied to working out. Keep your body guessing... it'll adapt quickly and you'll burn more fat!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Use the Home > Recent Posts > My Topics > Settings > Search button above to search for 5:2.

I have been doing it since January and am pretty happy. I am really interested in the long term health benefits.

Tips:

Try to be busy as possible doing non food things on the fast days.
    Drink LOTS of water. I have a 1.5ltr bottle within arms reach and get through 3ltrs on fast days.
    Have plenty of flavoured herbal teas to hand. I have about 6 different ones here.
    Sugarfree gum for when you need to chew something!

I also boil up about 5 eggs the night before and only eat the whites. That and wafer thin sliced ham kill the worst hunger pangs. I prefer to leave breakfast as late as possible and then have 5-6 small snacks over the course of the day.