Pain during exercise

Options
Hey, just looking for a bit of advice. I have been exercising and increasing my fitness since february now with no problems however over the last week ive experienced pain in what feels like my lungs during exercise. First time I noticed it was on a run, the pain initially felt like a stitch and I thought it would go but it became sharper and felt like was from my lungs as I seemed to be struggling to get a good breath. Same has happened again in some gym classes, the pain / lack of breath and it becomes worse higher impact.

Anyone else ever experienced something like this? Thought I should phone the doctor but dont want to waste there time if it is nothing.

Thanks

Replies

• gymteachermommy
    Options
    I have experienced this. I live in the Ohio valley though so weather changes, allergies, and whatever else is in the air are typically the culprit. If none of those are a concern and/or if you have not recently had an upper respiratory illness that could explain your symptoms, it's definitely worth a call to your doctor. Feel better!
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor.

Something similar happened to me a couple months ago - I started to feel very out of breath - copy days later I had a full fledged head cold. If you are feeling sick and having chest issues it is better to take a few days off.
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks - maybe it could be too do with the weather / hayfever etc. I'm not feeling unwell at all apart from the pain when exercising and until it wears off......very strange.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN. Since this pain could potentially be cardiac-related, it's best to call your doctor to get checked out. Better to be safe, than sorry. I hope it isn't anything serious.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Does breathing shallowly abate the pain? Just wondering if it could be a Texidors twinge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome

Agreed that it's better to get checked out and be nothing than have it be something serious with no medical help on hand, fingers crossed for you!
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    Hey there.

It's likely unrelated to heart lungs etc.. Especially if you have recently incresed activity. Tight intercostal muscles (muscles running between the ribs) can be confused for lung/ chest pain.
    Can't hurt to get checked if it persists but I see this often with myself and my clients. Especially if we've been working core unusually hard.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Could be exercise-induced asthma if it is your lungs (or asthma and/or bronchitis of some sort)? I'm asthmatic so I've experienced all kinds of interference in breathing from exercise (and from pollen, etc.). Talk to your doc, describe your symptoms, & go from there.
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    Oh goodness, I'm gonna call doctor in morning. I'm sure (I hope) its not serious but better to check and remove any panic / paranoia from my mind.
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    Could be asthma, never thought of that before