Healthy Snack Supply at Work

Options
I have a pretty stressful job and often find myself on the run, or stuck at my desk. In an attempt to get away from the take out lunches or diving into the constant parade of cake/cookies/donuts/chips/crap that is always around I want to have a supply of healthy snacks in my office.

Any recommendations or favorites?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas like they're going out of style. I also like string cheese.
  • dinaconesetraya
    dinaconesetraya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My craving is chocolate, so I keep a supply of emerald 100 calorie pack cocoa roast almonds as well as string cheese, small cups of fruit, sugar free chocolate pudding, sugar free hard candies and kale chips.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    For quick, healthy lunches, I bring in a baggy of cooked chicken or steak with carrots and zucchini. I precook a bunch of these on the weekends and then freeze them individually. I grab a baggy, a can of progresso soup with a matching flavor, and a piece of fruit. The baggy thaws in my lunch box and keeps my fruit cool, then I put the soup and extras in a glass bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes until its hot (stir every minute). I bring in leftovers or sandwiches sometimes too, but this is the fastest and healthiest.

Snacks: lower sugar apple cinnamon oatmeal, Quest bars, cans of soup, Fiber One protein bars, protein powder in several flavors (preportioned in baggies), cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, chocolate, hard candy, sugar free gum in several flavors, sugar free Hawaiian punch packets, hot chocolate, and tea. I'd like to have jerky, but it's expensive and only lasts three days after opening, so you have to be ready to eat all 3 servings. Boiled eggs, string cheese, or deli meat would be nice if I could leave it in the work fridge until I needed it, but it's cleaned out every night.

Hope that helps!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am in love with 8 Flatbread Crisp Italian Herb crackers, 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Blue Cheese spread, and 1/2 cup of grapes. This has been my go-to for the last 2 weeks.
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like having Kashi bars at work. I also have a stash of edamame and wasbi peas.
  • nurse_shell74
    nurse_shell74 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love an apple or banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter, laughing cow cheese wedge(comes in many flavors) with a few crackers, string cheese, cottage cheese with sugar free jelly, blackberries, and strawberries.
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    Bell Vita biscuits are lower in sugar and store fine in a drawer... i also cut up a buch of fruit on Sunday...Measure it out and then put in ziplocs so I can grab and run every morning
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Tuna in water pouches
    Apples
    Peanut butter
    flax seed crackers
    protein powder and a 15.00 blender from walmart
    oatmeal packets
    yogurts in the fridge
    the uncle ben 90sec microwavable rice pouches
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I keep oatmeal, fruit and 100 cal snack packs/almonds mostly. You can buy in bulk and weigh out portions. I love snack size baggies. Good luck!
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just posted this to another thread like this a couple days ago, so I just copied and pasted here :)

I am a mom of two kids that is a planning a wedding and works full time, hence I have no time for anything, lol. So, while I would love to prepare my food on Sunday for the following week, I usually try to work out or spend time with kids instead. So, my usual method is go to the store that's 2 minutes away from my work on Monday during my lunch break and get a ton of healthy stuff for the week for my lunches. This is what is usually on my grocery list:

- shredded cheese and reduced fat triscuits (put them together and pop in the microwave, YUM)
    - the mixed bag of veggies (usually carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli)
    - Bolthouse ranch dressing (45 cals/ 2 tblsp)
    - Greek yogurt (the Yoplait 100 cals are really good)
    - fruit salad (the already made ones that they put in the plastic containers)
    - almonds
    - protein bars (quest are good, but there are always so many different ones to try which makes it fun, lol)
    - chicken salad (they may not have this at a CVS, but I go to the grocery store and its really good there)
    - pretzals
    - baby bell reduced fat cheese (this goes great with apples for a snack)
    - Canned Tuna
    - Vanilla Almond milk and protein powder (makes a great snack together)

Those are just a few ideas of some things you can fix up quickly. This is my life, so if you need any more tips, just ask, lol :)
  • trgejessie
    trgejessie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have cut out soda's almost completely...I grab MIO and I bought a Bubba cooler cup. I try to drink at least 2 of these a day which equals about 64 ounces of water and there are no calories. I have also been keeping low calorie snacks available...Ritz roasted vegetable crackers are 5 for 80 calories...I usually eat 10. I have found that snack pack pudding cups average between 90-110 calories. Apples and oranges are also great. Then there is the fruit bars..for a frozen treat. These beauties are 90 calories each. Fudge bars are also low in calories. Half cup of rainbow sherbet has aprox 110 calories. I love this new life change. I can still eat whatever I want, I just have to watch how much. Its so much better then taking away all the things I love to eat...
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit as snacks a lot. I tend to go through fruit "stages" but right now it's cuties and watermelon. I also keep string cheese or babybel light. I also subscribe to 100/120 calorie popchip/popchip tortilla bags on amazon, and eat that instead of regular chips. I like that they're single serving size, and the tortilla ones have allowed me to stop eating doritos (they trigger a binge for me).

My current favorite is dannon light greek yogurt with 1/3 or 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder. If you mix it up enough, it tastes like cake. Mmmmm CAKE.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have zone protein bars, granola and powdered milk (so it doesn't go bad), and cans of soup or stay fresh meals for emergencies (high salt makes them not so desirable), sugar free cocoa, protein powder, powdered sugar free drink flavors (like from crystal light), quaker granola bars (100 calories), peanut butter. canned fruit, and some empty Tupperware to put up what I don't eat from the cans. :)
  • jcm1029
    jcm1029 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt with a handful of blueberries.
    PB with Celery
    i try to mix protein with a fruit or veggie.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    In the drawer is:
    Protein bars of all floavors
    Almonds in single serving size
    Rice cakes Sngle serving size
    Tuna and crackers individual portions

In the refrig is:
    Fruits
    veggies
    yogurt
    A few salad bags for a crunch lunch

Drinks:
    Electorlyte drink stuff for water
    Tea
    Apple cider
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I keep celery, apples and plain greek yogurt in the fridge. I mix fresh blueberries and stevia in my greek yogurt. Less sugar than those with the fruit already in the cup.
    At my desk is PB2, Mary's Gone Crackers Sticks and Twigs Organic Pretzels, Beanitos chips, Special K Protein Plus Cereal.
    I eat the cereal dry when I am having a sweet crunchy craving.
    I make a protein shake "candy" out of my chocolate protein, coconut oil, crushed almonds and unsweetend coconut flakes for my chocolate craving days.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I pack my snacks every day and try to keep only a few extra at the office in case I forget: (I have no self control lately)
    string cheese
    boiled eggs
    greek yogurt
    banana (or apples) w/ peanut butter
    tuna packets
    granola bars (I like a wide variety of them but try to find ones with more protein)
    protein powder
  • TaylorMade5717
    TaylorMade5717 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas everyone! Normally i pack snacks daily with my lunch, but heading into our busy season (Q4) it's not unheard of for my 8:30-5 to turn into 6:30-10. Want to make sure i have a supply here so I'm not tempted to order pizza/wings/chinese etc when others may!