Can't stop snacking when preparing meals?

Options
How to stop snacking when preparing meals?
I end up munching on everything in the kitchen- luckily it's only things like veg, berries, scraps from what I'm cooking... but it's ruining my appetite.

Anyone else have this problem? How do I stop?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    A few ideas:

Chew gum while you cook.
    Keep a bottle of water nearby and sip instead of snack.
    Log the snacking as part of the meal.
    Mind over matter, only taste what you need to as you prep.
    Measure out a specific amount of something to munch on while you cook instead of mindless snacking.
    Serve yourself smaller portions of everything but log it as a full serving to include the snacking.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    good suggestions!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just stop.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea while I cook.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    gum!!
  • Georgianbaygirl67
    Georgianbaygirl67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum definitely works, or brush your teeth before you start prep!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I chew gum when preparing meals and feeding the children I work for! This way I won't pop in the occasional bite! Also, if we could "just stop" we wouldn't all be here in the fist place. ;-)
  • cheeky0122
    cheeky0122 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually have a drink at hand when I am preparing meals..granted it's not always something calorie-free..usually around dinner time I'll have an iced coffee!
  • lotr4000
    lotr4000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum is a great idea~! :D
    Also: Keep a teaspoon near you (of the measuring variety), and use that instead of your fingers to taste as you cook.
    If it's a sauce, just dip the back of the spoon in and taste off of the bottom.
    At least that way, you know exactly how much you've tasted while cooking. And it'll keep you from taking actual bites.
    (You could make a rule like, "Anything that doesn't fit in the teaspoon doesn't get eaten." :3
    Also: tasting is essential unless you ~know the recipe by heart~. It's an integral part of cooking when you're going to be serving the food to other people~! :) ( Any chef worth their salt will teach you: taste taste taste! :D )

I keep some plain 'ol unsweetened ice tea nearby while cooking, since it's an appetite suppressant.
    Sounds like you already have some good ideas~!
    Good luck~! :D
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

Man, I wish I would have thought of this! Problem solved. :huh:

Anywho, OP, I have the SAME dang problem, since I'm usually starving while preparing dinner. If you find yourself snacking while cooking because of pure starvation, like I tend to, you might want to start cooking earlier. I have finally accepted that I'm just ready for retirement since I LOVE eating dinner super early! Tonight, for example, my husband took our son to gymnastics and even though they will be home at around 5:40, the baby and I have already eaten (it's barely 5). Whatever it takes to keep me from eating 1.5 dinners instead of just one!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Just stop.
    Not everyone will lose weight and expecting people to stop snaking is pie in the sky.:wink:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Either stop doing it, or prepare yourself a snack for while you're preparing meals.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Just stop.

People seem to disregard the beautiful perfection in this statement!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    1) Drink a glass of water 30 minutes prior.
    2) And small amount of nutritionally dense food, such as 1/4 Cup almonds (protein+good fats)

3) Put paper & pencil on counter, and promise to write down everything you put in your mouth & log it into MFP.

You'll be amazed how much less you'll comsume. Item 1 & 2 will PRE satisfy / SEMI satisfy your REAL hunger.
    Item 3 will hold you accountable, and you'll most likely not consume much since you've promised yourself you'd document it.

good luck !! :)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    a) make appetizer
    b) eat appetizer
    c) continue preparing meal without being hungry and snacking because you just filled up on the appetizer

Thats what I do if I'm SUPER hungry and I want to eat before I'm done cooking. I'll prepare a fast appetizer first and eat it, so I'm less hungry and can control myself while I make dinner. Obviously, plan to eat less dinner if you already had an appetizer.