Best way to add a hole to a belt

Options
This is a problem I never thought I would have, my belt is TOO BIG and I am too cheap to buy another one, I need to add another hole, I dont have a leather punch...

Nail, drill?? anyone had to do this?

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Look for a leather punch in a craft store.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
  • ksd623
    ksd623 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    go to the local shoe repair, they will have the tools
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Several times, happily! :)

You'll need something like an awl, ice pick, leather punch, nail (and a hammer since a nail doesn't have a handle you can put weight behind), etc, and something you can put it on that you don't mind getting a hole in (2x4, plywood, strip of old crown molding, etc). I've got a Swiss Army Knife with a leather punch -- that's what I use. And you'll need an easy to clean off implement to do some marking (white crayon works nice on a dark belt).

Measure up the belt and put a little dot on the spot. Place the belt face up on the piece of wood. Punch through (to make a smooth hole on the front). Buckle it a couple of times (without it being around your waist) to make sure the hole is big enough.

Edit: My vote is for nail & hammer if you don't have access to a leather punch/knife with one built in.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

If he doesn't want to spend money on a new belt, why would he spend money on this? :)

I used a really think sharp knife. I laid the belt down on a piece of wood, with the knife upright, just keep twisting it. When you get closer and closer, try to stab it with an ice pick if you have one.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Several times, happily! :)

You'll need something like an awl, ice pick, leather punch, nail (and a hammer since a nail doesn't have a handle you can put weight behind), etc, and something you can put it on that you don't mind getting a hole in (2x4, plywood, strip of old crown molding, etc). I've got a Swiss Army Knife with a leather punch -- that's what I use. And you'll need an easy to clean off implement to do some marking (white crayon works nice on a dark belt).

Measure up the belt and put a little dot on the spot. Place the belt face up on the piece of wood. Punch through (to make a smooth hole on the front). Buckle it a couple of times (without it being around your waist) to make sure the hole is big enough.

Edit: My vote is for nail & hammer if you don't have access to a leather punch/knife with one built in.

I like this idea, using stuff I have :happy:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've got a Swiss Army Knife with a leather punch

This is what I have used. In fact the hole I'm on now I did in the bathroom at work.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Haven't had the problem with the belt....I don't wear them. I have had this problem with my Birkenstocks though! I used a hammer and nail out on my deck stairs.

Have fun!