Do I really have to worry about macros?

The macros are making me crazy. As long as I am taking in enough calories and not going over on calories, are they really that important? I go over every day on fiber and sugar, not way over, but a little over. I almost always fall short on protein and carbs. it is making me crazy because pretty much every carb I eat has fiber and sugar so it seems kind of impossible to meet that high carb number without exceeding that fiber and sugar. I exceed protein some days too, but I never meet fat or carb numbers, I am always low on fat and carbs.

Do I really need to be concerned about it? Can I just keep eating under my calorie limit (but not way under, not falling below 1200 calories a day) and not worry over those things? (And yes I know I ate two spoons of frosting and a cupcake last week, but I own a bakery and I have to at least make sure what I'm sending out the door is good so for a whole week I don't think that is so bad, I don't want to be a health nut in fear of every little bit of sugar and butter in the world, just want to be healthier than I am and get the pounds off).

eta: I fall short on fat and carbs, not protein and carbs, that was a mistake, I usually meet or get real close to the protein number.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    You're going to get different answers. I don't really worry about the macros too much, but consuming more protein does help with feeling fuller throughout the day. Generally, most people consider the default protein level too low on MFP, so by going over on protein but less on carbs and fat, you may be doing well overall.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Worrying about them on a day to day basis is an exercise in frustration. It's far easier to plan it out over the course of a week, where it's easier to average things out. So there's a day or two each where you get "too much" fat or protein or carbs, and then the other days you get "too little".

Just don't take it to extremes. :)
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    I don't.... I am strictly tracking just calories.

It seems to be working for me :)
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    I don't, but I seem to hit them most of the time without trying to do it.

I think it's more of a ballpark. Like if you consistently eat many grams of fat over, maybe you should think about what you eat.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    "Too much fiber" is good if your intestines are happy. Ignore the sugar indicator on this site, as it includes fruits. It's useless.

BTW, if you exercise, 1200 may be too low for you.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Macros are important for overall nutrition, but tracking them depends on your individual goals.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    I've never paid attention to macros, but what works for people varies.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Do you HAVE to?

No.

You make your own decisions, and if you don't want to, you don't have to. Period.

However, you need to think about what your goals are here. Is it simply taking off weight? Then, yeah, you can do that with calorie counting alone. I can't say whether it would be easier or more difficult. There's anecdotal evidence on all sides and that's the stuff of online kerfuffles. Plus, ultimately, it's going to be individual and subjective. So maybe it's easier or maybe it's more difficult, I just don't know. But, generally, yeah, just counting calories can work towards weight loss.

If you're looking at health in general or you have some sort of specific training goal you want to reach, it may indeed be worth tracking your macros.

Or, if counting calories alone doesn't work as well as you would like, you might look into your macros and tweak what you're doing.

No one can make these choices for you.

You just need to figure out what you want to do andwhether that works for you, then make decisions accordingly.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    If your goal is just to lose weight, then macros aren't important. If your goal is to manage a medical condition (like diabetes or hypertension), then they're important. You also need to pay close attention to them when you're trying to stay as lean as possible while gaining weight, like what bodybuilders do.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    I've never paid attention to macros, but what works for people varies.

You are down as many pounds as I need to lose, so I'll take your word on it. I don't want to be any kind of bodybuilder or olympic athlete, I just want to be inside the weight range that is normal (not overweight) and in reasonably decent condition.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You have to take into account the way MFP sets their macros. Protein is really way too low, IMO, so it's something you kinda want to get over. Sugar is really impossible to stay under as long as you eat fruit. I've got rid of it. Fiber, same as protein, it doesn't matter if you go over.

I've changed my goals to decrease carbs and increase protein. I try to stay under on fat most days, mostly because I have a history of acid reflux and a pretty sensitive stomach. Carbs I go over a bit but it's not a big deal as it's still under MFP's default value by quite a bit. Protein I try to get 110g of a day. It's all I really care about.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    If I worried about sugar I would never have delicious fruit to eat! I you feel good, your not dragging on your workouts and your noticing results I would just keep going as you are,
  • 2JOEZ
    2JOEZ Posts: 9
    It really depends on your goal. i count my macros to the GRAM. i learned from experience and from reading all over the web. you can just count calories if you're looking to just slim down. this is just my honest opinion. what people dont realize is that they eat all their macronutrient needs in a day and dont realize it. dont stress over it so much!
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    There are a few threads about which macros people are tracking and, generally speaking, they seem to be all over the map. I think it's fair to say, however, that just about everyone tracks protein and carbs (correct me if I'm wrong!). Protein is goooooood.

I'm vegan and use the iron and calcium macros to make sure I'm paying attention. I'm trying to eat more fat, so I'm watching that too. Because my protein sources are high in carbs, I'm having a hard time balancing the two, but I try to hit my target every day. I find it helps me focus more on this being a lifestyle change, rather than just a temporary measure.