Stop the Madness!

Options
STOP DIETING!!!!!!!! You can't diet for the rest of your life!

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clear-cut advice.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    I TOTALLY CAN WATCH ME I'M GONNA EAT 1200 CALORIES AND EXERCISE FOR 2 HOURS EVERYDAY AND I'M GOING TO LOSE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH WEIGHT DON'T BE A HATERRRRRR
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I thought this would be about stopping the madness :frown:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    STOP DIETING!!!!!!!! You can't diet for the rest of your life!

Sure you could, if you wanted to. As example, many women of my generation and older have for their entire adult lives. Lots adjusted their eating style (diet) in little ways where it wasn't much of a hassle or hardly noticeable deprivation.

I mean, I get your point, but the fact is people sure CAN (and have) "dieted" the rest of their lives, and that doesn't necessarily even equal the worst thing eva ;).
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Can I just eat what I want, if I "lift heavy" when i do squats?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    What, stop eating, not a chance.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Can I just eat what I want, if I "lift heavy" when i do squats?

Only if your one of those NROLW women.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Not_sure_if_serious.jpg
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I lost my 70lbs over 20 years ago...the last "diet" I did was BEFORE I lost that weight. I lost the weight by portion control and activity, and that's how I've kept it off since 1987.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I lost my 70lbs over 20 years ago...the last "diet" I did was BEFORE I lost that weight. I lost the weight by portion control and activity, and that's how I've kept it off since 1987.

You do realize that portion control is a form of dieting?

When a word starts with "di" it means "day" or "daily". As in, a diurnal animal is active during the day.

Hooray for etymology!
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options

When a word starts with "di" it means "day" or "daily". As in, a diurnal animal is active during the day.

Hooray for etymology!

ALL words starting with di? Like die? Dinky? Dill? Dig? Did? Dinner? Diabolic? Diagnose? Diagram? Disease? Disorder? :bigsmile:
  • pcastagner
    Options

Hooray for etymology!

ALL words starting with di? Like die? Dinky? Dill? Dig? Did? Dinner? Diabolic? Diagnose? Diagram? Disease? Disorder? :bigsmile:

Lol, ok, all words starting with the PREFIX "di-"

But wait! I did a bit more research, and while it is ASSOCIATED with the Medieval Latin word dies, or "day", it actually comes from the Greek word "diaita".

So my bad.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

And that's great! I too maintained my weight for decades with portion control & activity ~ though I had also permanently changed my diet too, such as I haven't taken sugar in my coffee in many years ~ no big deal, but just an example of some small changes I've made and kept for years to where now it's just 2nd nature. And if push comes to shove I guess it could be called "diet".

I took a peak at your open diary ~ I did notice things like diet soda, non-fat yogurt, 'skinny' popcorn, 'light' versions of recipes, etc. Seems similar to some eating changes I made back around 1987 too ;). One could interpret these items as, well ~ I mean, it could appear as being on a 'diet', see?

As I said, I DO get your point, but depends on how another looks at it ~ I think some could look at your diary and conclude "she's on a diet". People could think about YOU: *stop the madness/dieting and enjoy some sugared soda, ice cream, and buttery popcorn!

In any case, I do know women (my mom as example) who has basically been on a diet to maintain her trim figure for the last 40 years and she's well adjusted to it and it's not a big deal to her. So people CAN be on a diet for life.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    People "could conclude she's on a diet" because she IS on a diet.

I hate pop semantics. With a passion.

It's a diet. Get over your negative feelings for the word. Some diets are stupid and don't work. Some diets are reasonable and work well. Crazy!