Lymes Disease and working out

Options
Hi,

My name is Stacy. I am new here and hope I am posting this in the right place. I am very overweight. The past 10 years I have put on many unwanted pounds. In 2008 I was diagnosed with Lymes Disease and I kept using that as an excuse for my weight gain. I am tired of the excuses I keep giving myself. I am ready to change. I am currently almost 300 pounds and need to get my life and health back in order. My goal weight is the 150s.

I have seen a few postings about Power 90. I am wondering if there are any others out there like me with Lymes Disease that are working out to Power 90 or P90X or something similar. I would like to see what worked for you and if you struggled. One of my friends lost over 50 pounds doing 1 round of Power 90. He did not have lymes disease though.

Any comments or friends requests are appreciated.

Thanks,
Stacy :smile: .

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :) I don't know about Lymes disease but I hear it is a lot like Fibromyalgia which I have. I tried Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred and it was just too painful for me. However, I am loving squats and lifting. I would suggest trying different things and finding what you like and what you can do. I started at 288 lbs and the combined weight and gravity on the knees doing jumping jacks had me limping for a while. Feel free to add me :)
  • cmcook92
    Options
    Hello! First, good for you for wanting to make the change! I'm 21 and was just diagnosed with Lyme this past July. I was doing some research for my thesis that involved ticks, so I was asking for it. I did catch it very early as I developed the rash, and was able to start Doxy immediately. During the time that I was on the antibiotic I did not work out. I felt fatigued and had headaches for most of the time. I am now back at it and doing fine.

Since my research is on ticks and tick-borne diseases I've read a lot of journals about Lyme and chronic Lyme (of which there has been a lot of debate of its existence, some are thinking that it isn't Lyme but in fact another tick borne illness!) When you were diagnosed how far had the infection progressed and are you living with chronic Lyme? If you were diagnosed and had the antibiotics, you should be fine! If you are suffering from chronic Lyme, you may experience some discomfort considering the damage to the joints from the infection.

The biggest thing is to keep a positive attitude and give it a go! If you are hesitant, start slow and see what you can do! Swimming may also be a great option since it takes the stress off your joints. My mother has horrible back pain and joint issues and she does swimming for her workout and loves it! Best of luck and stay focused!! :)
  • teamryan90
    teamryan90 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacy,

I also have Lyme Disease. One year ago I had no energy and every bone and muscle ached in my body. A little over a year later I still have my bad days and good days. I was prescribed 2 different types of antibiotics. The first type did not help me at all. Occasionally I have my days where I am fatigued and have constant headaches.

I gained many unwanted pounds from August 2012 to March 2013. I was already overweight but once I was diagnosed with Lymes I admit I became very lazy. In February of this year I knew I needed to change. A friend of mine posted a P90X Challenge Group on Facebook. I asked him about it and the next month I was doing it. I completed P90X in June and as of today I have never felt better in my life. I changed my eating to healthy foods and quit drinking soda and quit eating junk food and fast food. It simply is amazing on how much more energy I have today. I ended up losing over 30 pounds in 90 day.

If you workout to Power 90 I suggest starting out slow and just do your best. You should also consult with your doctor first to make sure you are ready. Best of luck to you. If you have any questions let me know. I also host a support and motivation group here on MFP and on Facebook for all Team Beachbody Programs. You and everyone are welcome to join. We motivate and support one another and post our daily workouts. The links are below if you or anyone is interested in joining for support and motivation. It is hard to complete a home exercise program alone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14116-total-team-beachbody-support-group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527307200663612/
  • stacykline88
    Options
    Hello! First, good for you for wanting to make the change! I'm 21 and was just diagnosed with Lyme this past July. I was doing some research for my thesis that involved ticks, so I was asking for it. I did catch it very early as I developed the rash, and was able to start Doxy immediately. During the time that I was on the antibiotic I did not work out. I felt fatigued and had headaches for most of the time. I am now back at it and doing fine.

Since my research is on ticks and tick-borne diseases I've read a lot of journals about Lyme and chronic Lyme (of which there has been a lot of debate of its existence, some are thinking that it isn't Lyme but in fact another tick borne illness!) When you were diagnosed how far had the infection progressed and are you living with chronic Lyme? If you were diagnosed and had the antibiotics, you should be fine! If you are suffering from chronic Lyme, you may experience some discomfort considering the damage to the joints from the infection.

The biggest thing is to keep a positive attitude and give it a go! If you are hesitant, start slow and see what you can do! Swimming may also be a great option since it takes the stress off your joints. My mother has horrible back pain and joint issues and she does swimming for her workout and loves it! Best of luck and stay focused!! :)

Thanks for you reply. I was at second stage or at the early disseminated stage when diagnosed. I have been having joint problems consisting of pain, swelling and redness in my knee joints. I have noticed that swimming has been kind of easing and relaxing. I will take it slow and stay focused.