Some questions for the clean eaters...

Options
1. What do you eat? What does a typical day look like for you, food-wise?

2. What do you NOT eat? What are the absolute no-no's?

3. What are you favorite clean recipes?

4. How has eating clean positively affected your life?

I tried the whole clean eating thing last year and barely made it a week. It was just too bland and plain. But I want to give it another try so I am looking for some meal ideas, advice, etc.

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    -I'm loosely following Dr. Fuhrman's whole foods, plant based plan, as outlined in his book Eat to Live. My diary is open so feel free to poke around :) But, a typical day for me is:
    -a large green smoothie (kale, spinach, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, tomato juice, chia or flax seeds and then another veggie and/or fruit)
    -a bean and/or whole grain dish
    -a mushroom/veggie dish-this could be a salad or sauteed mushrooms with peppers and onions
    -nuts/and or seeds
    -also, I was just given a 25lb bucket of rolled oats, so I'll be eating a LOT of oatmeal over the next few months lol

-I'm eating this way because I have a big family history of cancers, diabetes etc. Trying to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible, in spite of my genetic predisposition towards these diseases (especially cancer). Here's an article by Dr. Fuhrman, about genetics and nutrition, and why I'm eating the way I am. http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/breast-cancer-breast-cancer-risk-genetics-vs-lifestyle.html
    No nos for me- dairy, meat/fish, added oils like olive oil, eggs; I'm working towards totally eliminating pre-packaged convenience foods/snacks (chips, cookies, candy etc etc), items made with white flour and fast food (fries etc). I'm fairly new to this yet, but I'm getting there :)

-keeping it simple and not making lots of recipes yet.

-I've only been eating this way for a few weeks. I'm doing it for long term effects though, and not so much the short term ones. I'm not trying to lose weight (already in maintenance).

Answered above!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I eat "clean" completely or all of the time (i.e. had candy today...couldn't resist) but most of the time the philosophy I take with food is that if it will last longer than about a week or 2 on a shelf, I shouldn't eat it. Obviously there are some exceptions to that rule (ex: honey) but that is my basic rule of thumb...and that eliminates most processed foods.

Also, I read labels...look at what is in your food. if you recognize the ingredients, you are probably good to go, if it sounds like it was created in a lab, maybe you should avoid it. Next time you are buying cheese, look at the ingredients in regular shredded cheese vs what is in a block.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Just want to throw this out there......clean eating does not prevent cancer.

OP:
    There are multiple definitions of "clean" eating. I do not label foods clean or dirty or bad or good. However, I do fit in as many fruits, veggies, lean meats etc for the majority of my intake and I leave room for other things, such as pizza, burgers etc. You do not have to eliminate foods you enjoy to be healthy, unless you have a medical condition.
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat Healthy.. but not necessarily clean.... there are many diff opinions on what exactly "clean" is... I have found everyone does it their own way... :)

Personally I dont have the patience to do it. I did raw/vegan for about 3 yrs.... was very strict about it (95%) and was at my heaviest that whole time. I realize I am a emotional eater, and have a huge sweet tooth....

THat being said.. what I have found that works for me...(may not work fro everyone but heres my 2 cents)....

During the week I cut out sugars, breads and pastas. I also dont drink any alcohol or soda.. (during the week)

I lift weights 4 days a week with one day of cardio and abs, 2 days of rest... On weekends.. I will indulge in whatever I want. The only time I drink soda is with whiskey in it.. lol... and thats on weekends as well. I adjust my calorie/macro intake to make sure Im getting enough to feed my body thru my weight workouts..as needed... I drink 1/2 gal of water everyday.

Im 38.. 3 kids.. size 6, 150 pounds 23.5% BF right now... :) This is what has and is working for me...

Dont know if any of that helps but thats my stuff... :) Read up on as much as you can, ask questions, dont be afraid to try things and see what works for you... :)

GOod luck!! :happy:
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I eat about 80% clean :)

1. What do you eat? What does a typical day look like for you, food-wise? Today was tuna on Skinny crisps for breakfast. For lunch I am having a protein bowl (kale, mixed veggies and grass fed steak marinated in olive oil and spices), For dinner I am making Paleo meatloaf from PaleOMG. For snacks I have fruit, air popped popcorn sometimes a piece of 83%+ dark chocolate, an avocado, fried pork skins dipped in mustard (yum), coconut pieces or shavings.

2. What do you NOT eat? What are the absolute no-no's? I just try to stay away from as much processed food as possible - basically if it has more then 8 ingredients or ingredients I can't pronounce on the label, I put it back. No cheese, yogurt, milk, grains, rice, beans, no soy. NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS!!

3. What are you favorite clean recipes? Check out PaleOMG, nonompaleo, everydaypaleo. I've learned how to make my own ketchup, BBQ sauce, mayo, etc.

When I first started, I didn't lose any weight but my energy level was up, my mood improved and I was able to stop taking Lexapro for mild depression. Now I've changed my calorie intake to lose weight as well and combined with eating cleaner - I don't crave bad stuff. I didn't even realize my system was sensitive to gluten, dairy and soy until I took it all out of my diet and realized how much better I felt. There have been times I have slipped up and had these things and I definitely notice a difference...I end up feeling really crappy, sluggish, tired, gassy, cranky.

All that being said, I can commit to about 80% most days and other days I can do 100%. I work in an industry that requires our office be fully stocked with food & snacks and of course it's not the least bit healthy. Everyone once in awhile I cave and indulge in a poor choice of a snack. Clean food doesn't have to be bland either so do a little more research and you'll find great recipes full of flavor. Spices, oils - it's all 'clean' as it's stuff you could find in nature.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    as others said, it depends on your definition of clean.

i eat a smoothie for breakfast (spinach, fruit, chia, protein powder, yogurt)
    a smoothie for lunch
    salad with feta cheese and chicken for dinner or
    stir fried veggies with chicken or
    lettuce wraps with chicken or
    baked fish with veggies/salad

snacks/other things i eat.
    any and all fruit, any and all veggies, dip for said veggies (all about moderation), eggs, hard boiled eggs, cheese, fish
    i drink a LOT of water and allow myself a coke zero or sugar free fresca on occasion

i have cut out entirely: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and anything bread like. ive done this because these carbs are my weakness. it was easier for me to cut it completely then try to moderate it. ive been eating like this for about a month, maybe 5 weeks. i will reintroduce those carbs eventually and in very small amounts. i feel great. i have more energy, my skin feels good.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I mostly cook from scratch. I have put some of my favorite recipes on my blog at http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/topics/cooking/recipes/

I'm vegetarian, so what I eat looks different. I don't avoid much, other than meat, but I make treats a very rare thing, and pretty much don't buy processed foods. Probably the biggest thing I avoid is non organic produce--especially the top 10 or 12 or whatever, like celery, apples, lettuce, etc. I buy those organic and grow as many as I can during the growing season. I don't do sodas except on VERY rare occasions (we're talking once or twice a year). I had a Zevia soda recently and didn't like it AT ALL. I also avoid GMOs. That eliminates a lot of things.

Eating clean looks different to different people. Figure out what it means for you. And good luck!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just want to throw this out there......clean eating does not prevent cancer.

OP:
    There are multiple definitions of "clean" eating. I do not label foods clean or dirty or bad or good. However, I do fit in as many fruits, veggies, lean meats etc for the majority of my intake and I leave room for other things, such as pizza, burgers etc. You do not have to eliminate foods you enjoy to be healthy, unless you have a medical condition.

I'll let you know in about 30 years, since that's when every woman in my family gets cancer (early 60s). At least I can look back and say that I tried to change the odds in my favor :) But, I do think doctors like Fuhrman, Ornish etc are on to something. It can't hurt to at least try! And I actually really like the way I'm eating now-I'm enjoying the foods and I don't miss the ones I've cut out.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

My diary is public. Feel free to take a look. I eat mostly "clean," nonprocessed food, although I do use olive oil and Tamari.

Breakfast: steel cut oats with a chopped apple (instead of sugar) and 1-2 tablespoons flax seeds.

Lunch: 1/2 cup brown rice with one cup lentils (1 cup lentils = the protein of 3 eggs)
    with 2-3 veggies. For example, 1 cup steamed collard greens or kale with steamed butternut squash, or sweet onion, tomato, and avocado. I cook the lentils and rice ahead of time and might stir fry them with the veggies in a little oiive oil or vegetable broth.

Dinner: same as lunch, with different veggies. Once in a while I have soup.

Snacks: a piece of fruit, usually an apple

Condiments: sea salt, Tamari (very little as it has a lot of sodium), or dry-roasted/toasted sesame seeds.

Drinks: water with fresh lemon slices and a little coffee

Sugar, junk food, fast food, condiments like mayonnaise. I eat fish a few times a year, but otherwise don't eat meat. I stay away from dairy except for a cappuccino once a month. I would like to cut the fish and dairy out completely.

I don't bother with recipes. I just eat brown rice with beans, mostly lentils, and vegetables. Some of my favorite vegetables are butternut squash and steamed kale.

I am a junk food junkie of the first magnitude. Name a junk food and I have eaten it in 5 flavors. Since I cut sugar out of my life I no longer crave it. My skin cleared up, looks great, and my hair shines. I have triple the amount of energy. I've also lost 32 pounds since April -- and I'm age 59 and not supposed to be able to lose weight like that. My cholesterol has gone down to normal.

"I tried the whole clean eating thing last year and barely made it a week. It was just too bland and plain. But I want to give it another try so I am looking for some meal ideas, advice, etc."

Add sweet onions, dry roasted sesame seeds, broth, olive oil, Tamari, or sea salt. In my opinion, people who eat fast food, etc. have taste that is so influenced by fatty and artificial food that they can't tolerate real food -- in the same way that people who are used to the noise of TV can't take the quiet with just the sounds of nature. It takes time to adjust.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies : )
  • riblust
    riblust Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Learn to enjoy the subtle flavors of foods in their natural state.... you'll develop a taste for it and won't miss the junk so much
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Learn to enjoy the subtle flavors of foods in their natural state.... you'll develop a taste for it and won't miss the junk so much

This is so true. We've been ordering out favorite gluten free pizza with NO cheese and amazed at how good the sauce is!
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A lot of fruits and vegetables. Nuts/nut butter. I eat a lot more eggs now that I'm eating clean. Grains (quinoa, I eat rice at a lot of restaurants-- you'd be surprised how many places will sub rice for bread!).

No artificial sugars/sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, etc. I try not to eat any preservatives either, but there are a few things I can't cut out entirely (example: corn starch is used in a lot of cheese-- homegirl can't afford organic cheese haha).

Banana pancakes-- one banana, one egg, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1/4 cup of rolled oats.
    Also anything with avocado or mushroom or eggplant.

I've had a few periods of eating clean, and I've noticed that I'm much more alert and I just feel overall better. The most amazing thing to me whenever I start eating clean is how awful I feel the first few days because my body is craving the sugar and junk that I didn't even realize I was dependent on!
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 and a half weeks into a strict Paleo diet (with the exception of a little dairy).
    1. Meat, eggs, fruit and vegies, nuts.
    2. SUGAR, anything artificial or from a box, no bread/rice/grains of any kind.
    3. Baked zucchini stuffed with bacon, onion, tomato and red capsicum. And theres awesome lemon and poppyseed muffins you can make, ingredients are expensive but worth it!
    4. Feeling better, stronger, 4.1 kg down in 2 weeks, first thing that has worked for me for ages. And thats with no exercise whatsoever, just diet changes.

HOWEVER... you really have to be in the right head space, it is NOT easy to do. Especially getting your head around no grains/cereals for breakfast and no breads for lunch, it's very hard work and easy to quit if you're not focused. I can't tell you how to be ready, it just clicked for me 2 weeks ago and I'm sticking with it! The first week is so hard, especially the sugar cravings. Fresh dates helped me, 2 a day :)
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my food diary.

I have fruit with seeds in the morning, with some kind of protein, usually turkey bacon. As I'm insulin resistant I have to have protein with my carbs to even things out. I'm trying desperately to not get diabetes. I use stevia in my coffee with coconut or oat milk.

Vegetables - either salad, or cooked, are the main meal of the day with a protein. I'm sensitive to poultry, don't eat pork anymore, but I do eat fish and beef, but normal portions, 4 - 6 oz only at a meal.

I don't eat cow dairy, (although my chiropractor is having me try ghee this week to see how I tolerate it.), nor wheat, nor rice, nor potatoes. I did splurge on some potato chips the other day, but that's a once in awhile thing. No very few carbs from grains.

I do eat air popped popcorn and corn as I'm not sensitive to corn at all. I'm allowed an occasional piece of organic chocolate.

I do not eat or cook any processed food for myself or my family. Everything is freshly made and very clean.

I drink 60 - 80 ounces of water a day.

Health benefits are that I feel better, I'm losing weight, my skin has cleared up, and I don't miss the crap.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I tried the whole clean eating thing last year and barely made it a week. It was just too bland and plain. But I want to give it another try so I am looking for some meal ideas, advice, etc.

Maybe you need to look outside your typical super bland American food. I have eaten natural food all my life and cook, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Middle Eastern, Mexican and other ethnic foods and no one can say the food is bland and plain. I do however not cook much German ( the food of my country ) or US food, because I find both tasteless and boring.