after 10 years of diet...i discovered the reason why i fail

Options
hello guys

been a dieter weight loss junkie since 2003 and to tell ya the truth,,,,didnt success so far...on the opposite i actually gained alot more than before.

so i sat down with myself one day crying like a baby in a dark room and started to ask myself "why? - why this happening to me?" and all that crap.....but i asked a different question this time that i never asked myself...and this question might be the question that gonna finally set me free and solve my problems.

for the first time in my dieting i asked a scientific and clear question....."in your last 10 years of diet and exercise what was the most common behavior you did??"

so i set down for more than 6 hours trying to remember and think what was it???...

only one thing came to my mind and this might also shock you guys:-......

in the last 10 years the only one thing i noticed is this......I ALWAYS STAY AT HOME MOST OF THE DAY 80-90% OF THE TIME!!!

i was like "what the ..." i know trust me i know u guys also surprised and shocked ..so did i .

but before anything i wanted to test my new theory so in the coming 7 days i decided to diet and exercise BUT ONLY STAY AT HOME FOR MY DIET MEALS AND SLEEP ONLY.

guess what happened??.....for the first time in 3 years ...i survived 7 days without a SINGLE FAIL oO!
and also guess what?.....i never actually felt any hunger and never thought of food??....i was like what the hell is going on??

can anyone here PLEASE explain to me why this happening? ...im happy of course but wish to know the scientific / psychological reason for this..

thanks a lot for reading <3

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    stop diets once and for all. they are temporary. if you want permanent change, then do something permanent
  • Takianna
    Takianna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get stuck in this rut. You probably ate more than you thought you did out of boredom .Getting out is a great thing to do, you're distracted, busy AND moving around.....awesome!! :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    stop diets once and for all. they are temporary. if you want permanent change, then do something permanent

^this. And what the other user said about bored eating. I'm a bored/emotional/stress overeater myself and it's not necessarily whether you are home or not. It's just if you have something to do or distract you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Also, but when the at for one time of the why. It's like of the anytime wish of anyways leaders for lazy of boredom.

Thats must be over there on the whatnot if sometimes my refrigerator has a nine.

http://frabz.com/3d33
  • sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    life is really surprise you sometimes.....all my life i wanted to have more free time to make myself happy setting alone playing video games and watching TV....never thought in million years this would lead to my downfall....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    life is really surprise you sometimes.....all my life i wanted to have more free time to make myself happy setting alone playing video games and watching TV....never thought in million years this would lead to my downfall....

Well, just like with food...all things in moderation.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Boredom, at work or at home, is my biggest enemy where eating and weight are concerned.

Also, sitting on the couch or laying in bed watching TV, surfing the internet or playing video games burns very few calories.
  • sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    indeed the Boredom Eating .....better late than never ...now i know who is my true enemy this time....like they say : knowing your enemy is half the win!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you look at it like a diet, then you will treat it like a diet. Diets are, by modern definition, evil, strict, restrictive periods of time where you must feel like a failure if you eat this "bad" food or that "bad" food.

Reality is: track your food, stay within your calorie goals about 90% of the time, hit your macros (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat is a common ratio, but try it and find what works best for you in terms of your types of food and your weight loss success). If you are honest with yourself when filling out the profile on MFP, it is designed to eat back exercise calories to maintain a healthy deficit. If you work at all, then set your daily to lightly active and not sedentary, and...this is the most important part...be patient. Weight loss isn't something that is linear and it doesn't work on your timeline. When you make adjustments, give them 30 days or more before making another adjustment.

Be honest with your logging, both calories and exercise...don't log cleaning the house unless you actually put in an honest workout. Get a HRM (heart rate monitor) with a chest strap, use this to get a better idea of the calories burned during cardio sessions, and get some lifting routines in for muscle preservation and body composition, and lifting heavy means lifting what challenges you. Get to a gym if you can, and if you can't, do an internet search for body weight exercises and look for auctions or local sales of cheap gym equipment like bench press.

Eat what you like, just make it fit. If you want a piece of cake or a cookie, or pasta, or whatever...work it in and sometimes you may need to work it off. If you have "trigger foods" like pie or cake...then only have small portions available...I'll buy a donut or two at a time, and not a box of a dozen because I'll eat the whole box.

Again, pick something and stick with it, be honest with it and yourself, eat real food, exercise, be active, get rest, take breaks every now and then, like a week or two where you eat at maintenance about every 3-4 months, then get back to it. Don't believe everything the scale says, put faith in clothes, pictures comparisons, measurements. Be patient...and you'll succeed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What do you do outside the house all day? Short of working, obviously...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You keep having this realization and then go right back to the same thing. If you want something to work you have to stick with it.