I'll do anything

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
that you tell me to so long as it works!!

I've been on MFP for roughly 2 weeks now, maybe a little more. I started dieting on August 29th, 2010 (for the umpteenth time) but that's beside the point. I've been tracking everything that goes into my body and have been getting off the couch more often than I normally would. on August 29th (and prior to) I was eating pizza for breakfast, breaded mushrooms for lunch, well more than I needed to at dinner etc. I ate horribly bad. Doritos was my main staple and I drank sugar pop every single day (and more than just one, or two, or three). I decided to get serious about my diet, and on August 29th I began tracking calories, counting calories, cutting out pop and making healthy food choices. I haven't cheated once.

I stepped on the scale today and my heart sunk. I am the SAME weight as I was maintaining when I was eating horrible food choices for breakfast, lunch & supper. I'm horrified. I can't believe I've done all this hard work and haven't seen results.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but if you have any idea WHY i'm not losing an ounce of weight, please advise me. I'll try anything at this point. I'm desperate to change. I refuse to live in this body any longer and I've been doing what it takes (or so i thought) to change that. I can't continue on NOT losing weight or eventually I know that I'll get frustrated and give up the fight. I'm in a battle with food and I want to win.

Anything you can figure out (my diary is open) or any help you can give me is so much appreciated. I will try anything.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I looked throughy our diary and you have days with only 700-1000 cals eaten, sounds like you might need to eat a little more, your body is in starvation mode most likely. If you exercise you need to eat some of those cals to restore the fuel you burned during this
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It took me about two weeks to start loosing any kind of weight.. I only changed my diet like you seem to have in the beginning. When i saw the weight to finally start going down i started doing more cardio exercises and then my scale became my friend. So basically i'm sayin Don't Give Up! It'll pay off if you keep with it!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I only looked at the past week of your diary but it is VERY possible you have thrusted your body into starvation mode my dear. A woman needs about 1200 calories ON TOP of anything burned through exercise in order to keep her metabolism running. Looking at your diary there are days you ate about 1000 calories plus worked out and burned around 200. This left your body with 800 calories to function off of. That is 400 less than the minimum required to keep your metabolism from saying "oh my God I think I'm starving! I'd better hold on to the fat that is left on my bofy so I can survive." I would try upping your calories. I had to start eating 500 more calories per day to get my body to start dropping the weight quickly. It sounds a bit strange I know but our bodies are smart. They do not want us to starve to death so they reserve what we have just in case that is what's happening. Once your body recognizes that the calories are coming in at an adequate level and consistently then it will say "Ok I have nothing to worry about. I can let go of some of this unnecessary weight." Good luck hun!
  • ellemay
    Options
    Same happened to me, stayed the same weight for the first few weeks I started dieting. I noticed my clothes fitting better before I actually lost any weight. Keep going it will happen and it's a great feeling.
  • bellanean
    Options
    Maybe try watching your carbs a bit. Not saying going on a low carb diet, just saying they look a bit high, I know when my carbs are high thats when the weight stops coming off. Also you need to start working out, I cant lose any weight without working out. Chaning how you eat is very important but working out will help :-)
  • melodious2878
    Options
    I have to agree. I looked at your diary also and you arent eating enough of your calories. Are you exercising? If you are you have to calculate what you burned and then you'll have even more calories. Dont get discouraged. Keep working at it!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    It always takes me a few weeks to start losing weight as well. It is almost like my body has to get used to a different number of calories before it will drop the weight.

The other thing I noticed looking through your diary is that you are eating a lot of processed foods, which are often really high in sodium, which can cause water retention (and weight gain or not losing). If I were you, I would start by doing 3 things:

1) Drink more water (to combat that sodium)... at least 64 oz a day, more if you are having lots of sodium.
    2) Eat more nonprocessed foods -- chicken breast, fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables...
    3) Eat more fruits and veggies -- those seem to be really missing from the days I saw on your food diary. I learned last time I lost weight (and then went back to bad habits) that it is not just the calories that matter... it also matters what kind of nutrients you are getting from those calories.
  • sgirl29
    sgirl29 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're eating enough calories. Also I doesn't look like you're drinking any water at all. Water is a must, at least try to drink the minimum and up your calories some. Good Luck! :)
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When my weight loss stalled for 6 weeks and my boyfriend, also on MFP, said "you need to eat more" I thought that's crap. I already eat 1000-1200 calories a day and feel pretty good. I'm not starving, and to diet I need to be hungry, right? Well not for me.

He's lost a lot, so I trusted him. I upped my calories to 1310 and starting eating most of my exercise calories. I lost the most I've lost in one week that week and I've been losing constantly sense. I'm not saying any of this is true for you, only you can try these things and see what works for you, but this has been my experience. For me there's a sweet spot to calorie intake, and it's a lot higher than I would have guested.

Trust the math. That's what I tell myself.

Good luck and try not to get discouraged. I wish you all the best in your journey.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I also looked at your diet, and like others said your calories are a bit low and they aren't coming from the best of foods. I also noticed that your Sodium is almost at your daily goal everyday (maybe retaining water?) - and your carbs are pretty high as well, somedays you don't meet your calorie goal - but you exceed your carb goal?

Have you talked to your Doctor? Is it possible you have a condition that is keeping you from losing weight.

I would suggest
    1. Lowering your Carb of starches/sugars - natural sugars are ok - but try and stay away from processed foods and such - White Bread is 95% Sugar/ Apple Cinnamon Cheerios is loaded with sugar (37g) try oatmeal or I noticed one day you had 2 eggs and Wheat Toast

2. Drink more water - this helps flush out your system

3. For every meal you should have a Protein and a Vegetable or Fruit of some kind (these are the good for us foods) - Leaner meats such as Turkey Chicken and Fish - rather than red meat and such

4. I don't see that you are keeping track of your Fiber, but my personal trainer and my nutritionist both told me to hit my minimum fiber every day of 28g - So i take 4 fiber supplements to reach this - and the reason is, it cleans our your track and gets rid of all the grime along the way - So I would suggest keeping track as it doesn't look like your getting much

It's important to eat your minimum calories because your body needs a certain amount of calories just to run on every day and without that energy your body is going to store your food for starvation. Try adding little bits here and there, and eating 6 times a day rather than three this will keep your metabolism going.

Good LUck!
  • Christy_77
    Options
    I hear you on the "I'll do anything" refrain. When I was younger I told myself that eating very few calories was the way to lose the weight. Unfortunately, after losing a few pounds initially, all that happened was that I totally screwed up my metabolism. You definitely have to eat more to lose more. Just looking at your diary, I'd add in some protein -- chicken and fish and more fruits and veggies. Plus, I'd add in more water. Try having an egg white omelet in the morning with veggies and a small amount of cheese and add in snacks such as hummus and baby carrots or a hard boiled egg. One snack I love is rice cakes with natural almond butter (which sounds bland but I think it's yummy). Good luck!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about how many calories you're eating because you could be off by 2-300 calories and then you're right where you need to be. Besides, on the weekend it seems like you're eating enough (looked at Saturday).
    Your sodium is also only over once or twice a week which isn't a big deal as long as you're drinking enough water to combat it (at least 64 oz./day, more on the days after you're over).
    What I would suggest is play around with your diary. Add and remove elements to see what it could be that you are over on (sugar, fiber, anything) or under on that is causing the stall.
    Even at just 1100 calories/day in the beginning, you should still notice some form of loss. It may not be sustainable, but you should still see it.