Seeking Advice HRM, Calorie Burn, Tracking Devices

Options
Hi MFP friends,
I've been researching fitbit, body bug, and Nike Fuel trackers. What is the best investment that is compatible with MFP and iPhones. I really would like to accomplish the following:

1. Tracking my heart rate during exercises
2. Tracking calorie burn throughout the day
3. Wireless syncing with my apps and diary log
4. Weight / scale integration
5. Management software to chart progress and motivate me
6. Not too expensive ($100 or less)!!!

What are you using and how do you like it?

Replies

• danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hey Laurie,

I'm in the same boat trying to research them... Look at the Scoche Rhythym I think is how it is spelled. I haven't done much research on it but it is one of the more affordable ones it looks like
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I started this reseach process last fall. I'm a social worker so price was a huge factor. I also have to wear girl clothes three times each week to work so style was a factor. I needed something that would track my weight, body fat, lean muscle, movement, sleep and heart rate. Here's what I decided.

Body bug was out for several reasons: initial cost was high and the monthly cost of keeping it up was astronomical. It wasn't something I could ever hide.

Nike thing, along with all other wrist bands, were out because I couldn't wear it to work without it looking like I was wearing a teen-ager's rubber band around my wrist.

I setteled on the following mix:
    *FitBit (easily hidden and pretty accurate to track movement, elivation gain and sound sleep)
    **Affordable intiall cost
    **No monthly fee
    **Syncs to MFP which, in my opinion, has the best database for food
    *Aria digital WiFi scale
    **I sync it to MFP and https://trendweight.com/ both of which are free
    *Endomondo
    **I purchased the $5 "pro" version becuase I WOG not run and the interval program on there is easily customizable for me.
    **I sync this to MFP too
    *I'm getting ready to buy a Wahoo Fitness Heart Monitor Run Pack because FitBit doesn't track non moving exercise like Yoga, Weights and Pilates.
    **It syncs to both Endomondo thorugh my iPhone

That makes my overall cost:
    *FitBit $99
    **free website
    *Aria Scale $125
    **trendweight free website
    *Endomondo $5
    *WaHoo Fitness Heart Rate Monitor $99
    **That's a grand total of less than $330 without needing any other costs.

Worked for me :)
  • LaurieHolien
    LaurieHolien Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen,
    Thank you so much for your response. The info you shared is extremely helpful. I will look into those things you mentioned. While I was hoping for a one-device solution, it's probably not realistic. It sounds like you have a good solution in place with a variety of tools. Thanks for sharing!!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question the other day and I ended up buying the BodyMedia Link. It was on sale (may still be on sale, didn't look) for 119 with free S/H and there was a coupon that could be used with it that takes off 15% and brings it near $100 and it does everything that you need!

Take a look at it and see if it would be in your range and work for you :) I cannot wait until mine comes in the mail.

Edit: It is still on sale!

http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Armband-Packages

BMFIT15 is the coupon code for an extra 15% off.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Hi Kristen,
    Thank you so much for your response. The info you shared is extremely helpful. I will look into those things you mentioned. While I was hoping for a one-device solution, it's probably not realistic. It sounds like you have a good solution in place with a variety of tools. Thanks for sharing!!

You are so welcome. I do wish I could have found a single thing that did it all, was affordable, had no monthly fee and I could hide away from the world ... But no such luck. Murphys Law will probably prevail here soon and someone will show me a $100 dollar device that does everything plus shock me when I consider eating junk. :noway:

If you decide to go with either the FitBit or to use Endomondo please feel free to friend me: KirstenTheFamilyCoach
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd get a Polar FT 4 to wear during intentional exercise and forget the rest. It's easy enough to figure out your BMR and TDEE to set a calorie budget so it really isn't necessary to track every move you make all day. Even a HRM isn't accurate for weight training so that isn't a consideration. Don't try to overthink how much you burn a day down to the last calorie.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Love Fitbit! Great customer service if needed.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    A Bluetooth chest strap, either the polar h7 or wahoo one would make your iPhone a heart rate monitor. Use the free endomondo app, which links to Mfp and you get all you need for the price of the strap.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'd get a Polar FT 4 to wear during intentional exercise and forget the rest. It's easy enough to figure out your BMR and TDEE to set a calorie budget so it really isn't necessary to track every move you make all day. Even a HRM isn't accurate for weight training so that isn't a consideration. Don't try to overthink how much you burn a day down to the last calorie.

THIS. Just get a good HRM for running and other cardio. The other toys are inaccurate enough that you can figure it out close enough without em.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    this is what i do - i have a hrm i use only for exercise that legit brings my heart rate up, like jogging, long amounts of crunches, stuff like that.
    i got a pedometer that i keep in my pocket all day. you put your weight and height in, and as long as you are moving you can see your calorie burn for the day, distance you walked or ran and how fast you did it.
    i agree with what someone else said, if you calculate your bmr/tdee then it isn't too necessary to track every movement you make. if you do want to see what you do all day, the pedometer is pretty useful. my hrm doesn't sync to mfp or anything, i just add it in on my own.
    my hrm and pedometer i got at walmart, the hrm was $75 and some change (it is a mio), and the pedometer was close to $15. idk if this helps at all, but it works for me
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit and HRM. I do this to get a better estimate of burn yes - information is power. .... but the main boost is the motivtation factor esp with fitbit. I now do almost double the number of steps to when I started and I will be trying to increase further. I like measurements of how my fitness is improving and setting myself little goals.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    #1 and #2 are incompatible, as the devices that track all day burn, do not track heart rate. So if you really want to do both, you will need to devices. Frankly I would figure out what's important and just go with one or the other.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I got he cheapest Polar HRM (4) and the cheapest Fitbit (Zip). An HRM is good for more formal exercise but not general activity and Zipbit doesn't do certain things and not as accurate at more intense workouts or weight training. Some of the alternatives to Fitbit you need to subscribe to their sites whereas Fitbit is free. It is really compatible with MFP. I can't afford a new scale now. I used up all my holiday wishlist on those two. The Fitbit Zip is so small it is easy to wear all the time except when in water or sleeping but the higher models do sleep and hillclimb etc.My HRM can be worn when I do Aquafit. MFP has it set up so that if you log exercise you enter time and duration so that it doesn't double count the calorie burn synced with Fitbit.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    ^What she said!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I have an epulse2 but it does not go to MFP, maybe the next version will. It is awesome and just on your forearm, just like Scosche. With the Scosche, it's v similar to the epulse2 but there are programs that can send it directly to mfp/your phone. Again both have no chest strap like the polar, garmin, etc. I am not into wearing a chest strap. These are both great, Scosch & Epulse2.
  • boog_hudson
    boog_hudson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is a little late but I'm using the Wahoo Bluetooth HRM (chest strap). It's great because it connects right to your iphone and syncs with the Digifit App. The app will give you a fitness test, calculates your zones, and it allows you to enter all of your personal stats including resting heart rate. It keeps track of everything including heart rate, calories burned, zones, laps, etc. Digifit syncs directly to MFP. Wahoo Bluetooth HRM (chest strap) is only $75 (US). The Digifit app is free but to do everything I mentioned it's an upgrade for $10 bucks.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm in the category that thinks these are all for the most part inaccurate toys. An HRM would be useful if you're a serious runner / rower / cyclist just for actual HR data, not so much for calorie burn.

Anyway, here's a published review of like 8 devices

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2011/05001/Validity_of_Consumer_Based_Physical_Activity.2004.aspx

22655770.jpg
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much research but wanted to throw this out there in case you are thinking of going FitBit. They are launching a new one on 5/1 and their site says its going to be $99 just like the current models but its showing it does more than the other models they have.
  • mysticeagle4
    mysticeagle4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do research myself. People say so many bad things about fitbit and body media and others as well. I mean how do u even know what to choose!