Calories per day

Options
Do you think it's better to eat the same amount of calories a day for a period of time or do different amounts different days.

Replies

• oppii
    oppii Posts: 19
    Options
    Depends on your lifestyle
    I lift 3 times a week and so I need a little more energy to get through on those days, so I eat a little more on liftin' days and eat a little less on the days I rest, so whatever fits in your schedule!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to have a set number daily. Having a different number daily stresses me out, must be the anal-retentive in me. So I worked out my TDEE which includes my exercise cals so I don't worry about eating those back, and aim for the same goal every day. Whether I MEET that or not is a different story but at least I get damn close (if I don't go over!)!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Personal preferences will dictate this based on your goals..... Best of Luck
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I change it up. For me, trying to do the same thing every single day is a recipe for failure. Everybody is different, though.
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's better to eat the same amount of calories a day for a period of time or do different amounts different days.

I personally believe consistency is key, therefore I do believe eating roughly the same amount of calories daily is a good idea. I suggest first to find out the right amount of calories to eat based on your body/activity level. I use a BMR calculator to tell me what my body needs me to eat to survive. Then I add a few hundred extra calories for my activity level and end up with my "Lose Weight" phase calorie count. Keep in mind that BMR is based on your body weight, therefore when you lose weight your calorie goal will reduce as well until you hit maintenance.

MFP has a BMR calculator here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

What I will do from time to time, typically during TOM when I tend to be more hungry, I will eat over my calorie goal and then try to eat under my calorie goal the following day (if my body tells me I can). I listen to by body quite a bit. If I am still really hungry and I'm at my calorie goal or over, I will still eat. I think my body is the best judge for what I need (not my mind).

It does depend on the individual but you'll find what works for you. One thing I do strongly suggest is to never eat the same thing over and over. I never like my body to get used to the same kinds of foods. Plus, variety is the spice of life.

Sorry if that was more info than you asked for, I just know that is what I struggled with when I started.

Good luck!