I cried at the gym yesterday...feel very silly.

I am a member of a ladies only gym and yesterday was my 6 week assessment. I was weighed...I put on 6lbs since that morning then my body fat was measured using one of those handheld devices...one point up from 40 to 41. At this point I turned into a 3 year old, started crying and walked back out to my mum who was watching my little one for me.

The manager came over and matched me back into the room and got the tape measure out. I practically begged them not to torture me anymore but guess what...I lost 6" including 2" from round my abdomen.

I was so happy I nearly kissed them!

I don't know what happened with the scales and body fat but at least I'm losing the inches.

They redid my card for my workouts and I'm booked in for my next 6 week assessment...I've been told not to weigh myself until then. Eeek, got to hide my bathroom scales!

Obviously the 30 day shred DVD is working as well as the resistance circuit I do at the gym.

They were so lovely bless them, I blame the tears on me being an emotional fool with lack of sleep due to migraine the previous night. I'm not normally such a cry baby!

So here's to the next 6 weeks...

Replies

• dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Muscle is weighs more than fat. Fact.

Concentrate on your measurements and ignore the scales - weight is irrelevant.
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Congratulations! Inches matter more than scales. All that means is you're probably adding some muscle and you're getting stronger. High five!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    I'm guessing the morning weigh in was done at home?
    1) It's very easy to put on 6 lbs during the course of the day, especially if you are drinking a lot of water Not that I actually think you did.
    2) NEVER compare differences between scales, unless you have been weighed on both at the same time to know what the difference between the 2 scales actually is.

I can almost guarantee that there would be a few lbs difference between the gym scale and your home one. Heck your home one can change if you move it to the wrong spot. Scales are finicky!.

Now that's out the way Congratulations on your loss!
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Thank you.

I am going to try and add more cardio a week as its all resistance/strength training at the moment. It's hard with 2 kids (one with special needs) and a house to run so off for an hour with little one in buggy today.

"Concentrate on your measurements and ignore the scales - weight is irrelevant."<<<<exactly what they told me yesterday!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    its your muscles! :)
  • Awesome! Congratulations on getting through that 6 weeks :-D

And I can totally relate to bursting into tears. I had a small NSV last week and bawled my eyes out - this fitness thing is a physical AND mental challenge. I get that now! Just wish someone had warned me :cry:
  • curly1980
    I'm guessing the morning weigh in was done at home?
    1) It's very easy to put on 6 lbs during the course of the day, especially if you are drinking a lot of water Not that I actually think you did.
    2) NEVER compare differences between scales, unless you have been weighed on both at the same time to know what the difference between the 2 scales actually is.

I can almost guarantee that there would be a few lbs difference between the gym scale and your home one. Heck your home one can change if you move it to the wrong spot. Scales are finicky!.

Now that's out the way Congratulations on your loss!

Yep, home scales for the lower result. I had already had breakfast and lunch and 5 70cl bottles of water before I went as it was a late afternoon appointment. Plus a couple of green teas! Not convinced that made the difference but not worrying about that now...I lost inches which I wasn't expecting so not going to dwell on it too much
  • curly1980
    The abdomen measurement was the one I wanted down as I know all the health risks having a large waist measurement. I don't just want to be a skinny Minnie I want to be healthy for my boys!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    read this: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/a-lion-in-iron-ladies-measurements-dont-matter/

and seriously, you are far, far, more than numbers on a scale or tape measure... look at your progress from every angle... are you fitter and stronger from doing 30DS and the gym stuff? Do you feel healthier? Can you do more than before? Yes fat loss is important if you're above the healthy body fat percentage range......... but those inches say you ARE losing fat, and quite a lot of it. those scale devices that measure body fat are notoriously inaccurate. I'd say the loss of inches + gain in weight, strength and fitness means your body fat percentage has gone down. The scale weight will have gone up because your muscles are storing more glycogen and retaining water (that's a good thing, by the way, i.e. healthy weight increase, and the weight increase is not fat (you lost that, you didn't gain any)) - so ignore the scale and focus on how much fitter and healthier you feel, and the fact that you lost inches, which means more than anything a scale says.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    I had already had breakfast and lunch and 5 70cl bottles of water before I went as it was a late afternoon appointment. Plus a couple of green teas!

How much do you think that weighs? I'd say a good few lbs easily.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Aw bless you x The previous poster was right; you "gain" weight throughout the day just by eating and drinking, so it was not a real gain at all.

And inches are soooooo much better to lose than lbs! Well done :flowerforyou:
  • curly1980
    Thanks will have a read...I shouldn't have got so upset, I've been on here long enough to know its not all about the scales. The manager herself said the BF device isn't entirely accurate. (Maybe get something else then???)
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Congrats!!

Its all good. I cry everytime I do legs and have to walk down the stairs to leave Gym. :P
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Not fact. Mass is mass, 1 kg = 1 kg. Density is what differs, not mass. The density of muscle tissue is higher than that of fatty tissue.

As for OP, I'm happy for you that something was changing. This is why taking those measurements with a tape is so important in the home setting where callipers etc. might not be available. Go go go until next check-in!
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member

Concentrate on your measurements and ignore the scales - weight is irrelevant.

Not fact. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. Actual fact. And there is no way the op gained 6lbs of muscle in 6 weeks, I don't care how much people will claim noob gains. Much more likely to be a combination of a ****ty scale, change in clothes, and/or water retention the day of the weigh in.

OP if I were you I'd probably refuse to use the bodyfat divining machine next time out of principle, its a joke and will never give you an accurate reading, and a bodyfat figure is completely unnecessary anyways.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Love your pic btw!
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Awww, poor peanut! I feel for you! But to read that you went BACK in... shows me that you are HARD CORE. Keep up the awesome work. You are a great mentor for someone like me!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)
  • curly1980
    Congrats!!

Its all good. I cry everytime I do legs and have to walk down the stairs to leave Gym. :P

Me too! Especially as I have to carry the buggy, with little one in it, down the steps as no ramp!
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Congrats!!

LOL! :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    I had already had breakfast and lunch and 5 70cl bottles of water before I went as it was a late afternoon appointment. Plus a couple of green teas!

How much do you think that weighs? I'd say a good few lbs easily.
    Well, one 70-cl bottle is the same as 700 ml or 0.7 litre. 1 litre of water weighs 1 kg, which is the same as 2.2 lbs. While something may have come out via urine or sweat during the day, I bet not all of it had left the body before the measurement. Don't forget hormone fluctuations in females either.