How do you track how far you have gone on bicycle and speed?

Options
Help. Love biking. Really getting into it but not sure what to get to track distance and how fast I am going? Thanks!

Replies

• dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you use a smart phone give the Strava app a try :-)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good apps for this, as the person above me said. If you don't have one or don't want to use it for that you can get a bicycle computer. They range from $5 to $500 on amazon.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you use a smart phone give the Strava app a try :-)

I don't know that one but I use Map My Ride which is very good.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm only getting into road biking but I use my HRM for time (or a watch) and www.mapmywalk.com to map my route, if I stick to roads. It's free, and maps a nice pretty route out for you. :) Tells you the exact number of miles, and if you know your time, you can calculate your speed, roughly.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you get an HRM or a bicycle computer/HRM combination.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    runkeeper is a good free app and it links to myfitnesspal. It tracks alot of things, running, walking, biking skining, rowing etc. check it out
  • lincs_lass
    lincs_lass Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also use Map My Ride, then Map My Run for my walks :)
  • Bodgeybodge
    Bodgeybodge Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Strava for me, especially if you want to challenge yourself and beat your own times as it features lots of mini user created "segments" around the area you cycle. Lots of fun trying to improve your time/get to the top!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Trip computer - many are very inexpensive.

I use the Runkeeper app on my phone as well which so far has worked very well.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You have many different options:

1) Any "Map My ..." app will work. I have Map My Fitness on my phone, and I use it occasionally. It's not the best, but it works.

2) If you're into computers, data, get all techy, or just love love love crunching numbers, you can get a GPS device. Like, for instance, a Garmin 305 or 310XT or FR60. Many Garmins have GPS so you not only know how far you've ridden for how long, but also where you've ridden. Others, like the FR60, don't have GPS, but can tell you how far, how fast, all that good stuff. They also have the ability to share the data with programs on your computer, so you can finish your ride, then check out all your data to see how you did. And, if that's not enough, they're all HRM's, too. So you can monitor your heart rate. This is my favorite way of training. I groove on HRM training, love being able to see where I went, and am a data junky. These type devices can get more expensive than other options.

3) A cycle computer. This is a pretty cool option. Cycle computers range from super-cheap to break the bank. And it all depends on the quality and options of the computer. But they mostly all work the same way: You install a magnate on your tire spoke, and a sensor to your bike. Every time your tire spins 1 rpm, the sensor senses the magnate. It then uses this to tell you how fast your going, how far you've gone, and for how long. They're pretty handy dandy. If you buy yours at your Local Bike Shop, the fine people who work there will even install it for you (usually at no extra charge).

Good luck, and happy riding!
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use a cycling computer and an App.

Strava imo beats other Cycling apps hands down...

It's as simple as starting it then pocketing your phone.
  • medavidcook
    medavidcook Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Runtastic have an app especially for biking, It will count the distance, time pace, average speed, The history will break everything down for you. The gps feature allows for the route to track on the app and you can auto sync so uploads to MFP. The app also have a rough guide on the amount of cals you burn during your ride.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ohh this is a thing I looove doing!
    I know how fast I walk, so: Walking speed is given.
    Then I take a route and measure the time, then calculate how far it was using my walking speed. Theeen I just do the same route by bike and measure the time, then calculate my average speed. If I need to know distances I measure time, then calculate using my average speed :) And I do all of this in my head while driving because I am a number addict. I don't want to know how fast I am! I just need the numbers! <3
  • MNChica
    MNChica Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone awesome ideas!
  • TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I use Endomono Sprots Tracker on my smart phone. It is the most accurate of about five that i have tried.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic and it's great. If you don't have a smartphone then time your ride using a watch and map it using a website. I use http://www.walkjogrun.net/ when Runtastic hasn't worked for whatever reason (my phone's fault, not the app)

But an app + a HRM would be best :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I use Noom CardioTrainer for walking, running and biking. Works great.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Go to Target or Walmart and get a cheep odometer. Mounts to the front fork and usually pretty accurate. If you want even more accurate, go to a better shop and get a better bicycle computer.

Any of the smartphone apps will work fine as well, but on my bike I like to have something right there on the handlebar that easy for me to look at.
  • flannery2012
    flannery2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a Schwinn bike computer that I got at Walmart--best bike accessory I ever bought. It was only a little over $10 but tells time, speed, average speed, max speed, distance, etc. The setup was a little time consuming, but well worth it to me...
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Help. Love biking. Really getting into it but not sure what to get to track distance and how fast I am going? Thanks!

I'm low tech, so I measure the distance with the odometer on my motorbike. For example, I know it's 7 km from home to work. If it takes me half an hour to get there, I know I'm traveling at about 14 km/hr. Pretty basic, but it works.