Breaking past 217...

Options
The story so far...

I've done great losing 20-ish pounds so far, I'm just having a heck of a time getting past 217. I lost the first 20 lbs by diet alone, and now i've started cycling 3x a week, 15 miles per day for about 1 hr each session. My BMR is about 1750, my TDEE is about 2150 (with no exercise, with exercise it's about 2900). I've read a lot of different posts and some seemed to suggest I'm not eating enough, but I've tried to eat more and have only gained weight. I decided to give myself a cheat weekend to blow off steam (and hopefully shock my metabolism), and I've only gained 1 lb. So, having said that, what suggestions do you have for breaking through this dreaded 217?

Replies

• bikedurham
    Options
    bump
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Try mixing up your routine a bit, eat at different times, different sizes if you normally have small breakfast have a large one or opposite, and do some different exercise, try HIIT training the key to breaking the plateau is changing things up a bit I've found anyway - Good luck!
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to lose 20 and how long have you been biking?

How often do you weigh yourself? Analog or digital scale?

How long did you stick with eating more? What is "more"?

I have lost 30 pounds, I bike 5x a week, try to get out for walks on weekends, and think my body is taking a little break from losses as I've been kinda stuck at 181 about 3 weeks.

I don't have much advice except patience. I didn't lose anything for a 2 month spell, then 14 pounds in ~3 weeks. At the end of that 3 weeks I was thanking Jesus for the strength to get through every moment of exercise and calorie counting during all those weeks of nothing!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Try mixing up your routine a bit, eat at different times, different sizes if you normally have small breakfast have a large one or opposite, and do some different exercise, try HIIT training the key to breaking the plateau is changing things up a bit I've found anyway - Good luck!

HIIT training is beneficial. When you eat, how much you eat at a meal, and how many meals you eat per day are IRRELEVANT to losing weight. Eat at a deficit from your TDEE and you will lose. Weight loss is not linear. I've been doing MFP for about 15 months and I have lost steadily, but not the same amount each week. Some weeks I have lost nothing. Patience is the key. It adds up in the end. Good luck.
  • srallen98
    Options
    When I plateaued, I looked at the types of food I was eating. As painful as it was, when I gave up bread and pasta, the weight started coming off again.
  • bikedurham
    Options
    How long did it take to lose 20 and how long have you been biking?

How often do you weigh yourself? Analog or digital scale?

How long did you stick with eating more? What is "more"?

I have lost 30 pounds, I bike 5x a week, try to get out for walks on weekends, and think my body is taking a little break from losses as I've been kinda stuck at 181 about 3 weeks.

I don't have much advice except patience. I didn't lose anything for a 2 month spell, then 14 pounds in ~3 weeks. At the end of that 3 weeks I was thanking Jesus for the strength to get through every moment of exercise and calorie counting during all those weeks of nothing!

I started on my new lifestyle in March, reached 217 in June, and bounced around from 217-226 from June through July. I had company in town and decided to take some time away from daily tracking. I work a physical job and worked out 2 days a week from March until May (I was in school). I will be weight lifting again in late Aug.

I've been biking for about 6 months, but only very regularly over the last month.

I weigh myself every morning after I urinate and before I eat or drink coffee. I use the Thinner digital scale.

Eating more? Just this weekend (Cheat day/days). I usually eat 2150 cals (-500 of my TDEE) and I ate 4500 and 3500 on Sat and Sun.
  • bikedurham
    Options

HIIT training is beneficial. When you eat, how much you eat at a meal, and how many meals you eat per day are IRRELEVANT to losing weight. Eat at a deficit from your TDEE and you will lose. Weight loss is not linear. I've been doing MFP for about 15 months and I have lost steadily, but not the same amount each week. Some weeks I have lost nothing. Patience is the key. It adds up in the end. Good luck.

I've done HIIT before (tried Body-for-Life) and found it beneficial. I will continue it this Aug. when I get a gym pass.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    New or increased exercise can cause inflammation until your body adjusts. This can cause weight gain. Don't get discouraged.