Am I too heavy to start c25k?

Options
Hi All,
I currently weigh 191 lbs and my question is am I too heavy to start c25k? I am 5ft 8.
I would love to start running as it will be a good exercise to burn a few extra calories and I can do it on my treadmill. Not a chance do leaving the house these days.
I was just wondering if anyone has started and completed it at this weight. Or if anyone is in the middle of it and feeling the benefits?
Any comments or feedback would be welcome, even if its to say I would be too heavy for it.
I just don't want to start something that is not achievable. I need to have a chane to succeed. I don't mind if it takes me longer than the recommended time though.
Thanks P

Replies

• bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would say start and see how you go :) Don't try and make excuses, it may be hard to start with - if need be, repeat a couple of days until you become comfortable. You can do it!
  • copp9
    copp9 Posts: 33
    Options
    I am bigger than you and I am doing it successfully. I started at 226 pounds and 6'0" tall. I am almost up to week 4, and I haven't felt like I couldn't do it at all. It has totally changed my life and my idea of running because it is about building endurance and stamina, and not seeing who can run for 20 minutes. I'd say go for it!
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i ran a half marathon when i was in the mid 180s at 5'6". you can do anything you put your mind to. i want to lose weight too, but weight is only a number. i can do more in the 170s than most people can do in the 130s.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i started my c25k at around 230lbs

just get good running shoes :)
  • Coffeeonice
    Coffeeonice Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. It's great to hear others have done it, so I am off to start it today.
    I have just heard a couple of friend telling me that there is no way I could do it at my weight so I was starting to believe I couldn't.
    Well if other have done it then so can I. it great to hear that others have done it.
    I don't expect it to be easy at all. Nothing easy exercise wise is going to do you much good.
    Thanks to all for replying so fast!
    P
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Don't push too far too far too fast. Just relax into the programme. Repeat weeks if you need to. Don't try to race ahead.

I did it at a much heavier weight, and ran a half marathon, still weighing more than you do.

Various life struggles got in the way, and I'm starting over again now. Still weighing more than you do! :-)

Running is ace, and you will love it. Try to do some strength building work too though, as that will help with injury prevention.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started it at almost 300lbs but am taking it really slowly ie 1 session a week with swimming and elliptical (cross) trainer 2-3 times a week for cardio. That way my knees aren't taking as much of a hammering. I did try upping it to 2 sessions a week but it did hurt me knees. On Sunday I completed week 7 session 1 and plan to do session 2 either Thurs or Fri of this week.

Good luck :)
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I currently weigh 191 lbs and my question is am I too heavy to start c25k? I am 5ft 8.
    I would love to start running as it will be a good exercise to burn a few extra calories and I can do it on my treadmill. Not a chance do leaving the house these days.
    I was just wondering if anyone has started and completed it at this weight. Or if anyone is in the middle of it and feeling the benefits?
    Any comments or feedback would be welcome, even if its to say I would be too heavy for it.
    I just don't want to start something that is not achievable. I need to have a chane to succeed. I don't mind if it takes me longer than the recommended time though.
    Thanks P

I wouldn't say you're too heavy to run, I was heavier than you when I started and I'm 5ft 3. I do think it depends on your body... injuries, joints, etc. I would just go with what makes you comfortable. Maybe go slow at first and kick up the speed as you go. Running with extra weight can put extra strain on your joints, so that is one consideration. For me the only thing that bothered me during c25k was my hips but stretching them out afterwards really helped.

Right after I finished c25k I did a 5k mud run with ease. Now when I run I can go for 45min+ and do not have any pain at all, although I am about 37lbs lighter now.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I decided to give it a try at 255 pounds at 5'5" tall.... I did several sessions but it was hurting my knees too much and I didn't want to damage myself. I decided to wait until I get under 200 and give it another try then. So for now I'm sticking with Zumba, step aerobics and the elliptical. C25K is still in my plans, just not right now.

Nothing wrong with trying it for a few days to figure out if it's right for you.
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Thanks P

I weigh 207 and started yesturday
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I completed it weighing far more than you. but i had 6 months of doing hardly anything, fell off the wagon big style, but I'm into w4 2nd time around still weighing far more than you. so don't listen to those 'friends'
  • Coffeeonice
    Coffeeonice Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to all that have replied. I am going to give it a shot today. I have good shoes and I have the app so all set. All that was missing was the encouragement as I heard my 2 friends discussing last nigh how I hadn't a hope as I was too heavy. Last time I will share with them.
    And we'll done to you all on your losses. Some amazing losses. Hopefully this time next year I will be there myself.
    Really appreciate the comments. Will try it to see how I get on.
    P
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I decided to give it a try at 255 pounds at 5'5" tall.... I did several sessions but it was hurting my knees too much and I didn't want to damage myself. I decided to wait until I get under 200 and give it another try then. So for now I'm sticking with Zumba, step aerobics and the elliptical. C25K is still in my plans, just not right now.

Nothing wrong with trying it for a few days to figure out if it's right for you.

Because of the movement associated with zumba (the sideways slides) combined with impact, it is, in fact, far worse for knees than running is. If you're having knee issues, zumba is not good exercise.

hth
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Because of the movement associated with zumba (the sideways slides) combined with impact, it is, in fact, far worse for knees than running is. If you're having knee issues, zumba is not good exercise.

hth

Only if you're foolish enough to do the moves that cause you pain or excessive jarring/twisting.. I never have issues with Zumba because I understand the art of modification. It's not like they kick you out of the class if you modify things to suit your needs/physical limitations....My first Zumba instructor back when I was 360 pounds was actually quite helpful in showing me alternate steps that would reduce the twisting of the knees.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a way to modify my running enough to reduce the impact sufficiently. I even practiced chi running techniques which did help but still wasn't enough.

So like I said, until I get off a bit more weight, I'll stick to my current exercise program and return and try the c25k in the future.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I started running at 285+

We're all unique. Just because I did it or even if MOST people can do it that doesn't mean that you can. But, if I were a gambling man, I'd bet good money you'd be ok to start running. Talk to your doc first.
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Nope, I weighed about the same when I started :)
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to all that have replied. I am going to give it a shot today. I have good shoes and I have the app so all set. All that was missing was the encouragement as I heard my 2 friends discussing last nigh how I hadn't a hope as I was too heavy. Last time I will share with them.
    And we'll done to you all on your losses. Some amazing losses. Hopefully this time next year I will be there myself.
    Really appreciate the comments. Will try it to see how I get on.
    P

Sorry your friends are being unsupportive. On the plus side, proving them wrong is going to feel really, really good.
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot and good luck.

If you like it, go and get fitted with proper running trainers, which will support your joints.

That is really unkind of your friends to discuss that, I really hope you prove them wrong!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You're not too heavy. I weigh more than you, and am only 5'4" and I'm on week 3 of C25K. Just go very slowly and make sure to take at least one day of rest between runs. If you feel any twinges in your knees or ankles take more days off until you are fully recovered. Repeat days/weeks as needed. I did week one 2.5 times before moving on to week two.

This is my third or fourth try at C25K and in my previous attempts I failed to take enough rest days and ended up getting injured (knees). You can do it! This time I feel great and I keep reminding myself to slow down and shorten my stride. My goal is to finish without injuring myself. I don't expect to do it in 9 weeks, and I'll be happy even it takes twice that long.
  • bigaggie06
    Options
    I have just heard a couple of friend telling me that there is no way I could do it at my weight so I was starting to believe I couldn't.

Sounds like you need new friends ...