Returning after falling off the wagon

Options
Hi there,

Was using MFP regularly and it was really working. I had a string of bad days where I ate lots of naughty food and I felt too ashamed to put it all on to MFP. A few days then turned in to a couple of weeks and before I knew it I was back to where I started.

I'm back and determined to make this work for me. I'm back doing regular exercise and enjoying it. It's now time to tackle my food and regain control.

No more shame. I guess I'm not the only one who has perhaps missed off a few food items to avoid the guilt. Need to be honest with myself and accept that I'm not perfect and I am going to be occasionally tempted.

Good luck to you all. Any words of wisdom or support are welcome.

Graeme :)

Replies

• cfilipi74
    cfilipi74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been doing MFP on and off for a couple years and have really stayed with it this year. I have also eaten plenty of crappy and naughty food over the months and haven't logged it, but it's all a learning process for all and we can definantly get this together with the support from friends. Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I'm rather new to MFP (since April) and am finding this site really helpful and supportive. I lost weight through weight watcher's over 10 years ago, and it came back over the course of the first four months off "plan". Obviously that didn't work. So I've battled my weight ever since and not been able to stick with a "diet" for more than a couple of days.

The two things that are working for me are (1) I love the support of just reading this site and using the tools, and (2) logging everything that goes into my mouth, even when I go over my cals. I think it's important - didn't know this before - to not think of eating as failure, but consider it interesting science. Why did I eat more than I should, etc. What can I eat that will better satisfy my needs, and what could I have done differently.

Best wishes and friend me if you'd like.

Laura
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ha! We've all fallen off the wagon - or more like gloriously jumped off!
    Guess the best thing after a bad day is just to tell yourself 'so what it's only a day' and carry on again. It's when you have lots of days together that you lose the plot.
    You've done it before you can do it again.
    The support here is great because most folks understand the problems you have.
    Good luck.
  • stubbornjuice
    Options
    Hi there,

what is MFP? I'm currently on Herbalife, I was going so good then I feel off the wagon, but I'm back on and hoping this time I stick to the programme till the end..I/ we hope to encourage one another and reach our goal weight..

All the best to all of us
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This is LIFE, not a prison sentance. Get back on the plan. Workout regulaly, but occasionally we have to reward ourselves. Just don't overdo it. We certainly don't want to go back to where we started. Fast foods, fries all weight loss killers.
    Best of luck!!!

Basil
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Falling off the wagon is so disappointing for oneself. I also started a totally new account yesterday. Due to my personal feeling of failure. I am recovering from e.d. And as if i were a drug addict, i relapsed . I really am putting my errors behind me and starting fresh. Never give up. When u fall just get up and keep moving. U will build personal strength and ur next stab at keeping on the wagon will be easier due to ur experience.... Live and learn!
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck. My experience has been that after I regain 'control', I go back and actually enter in all the foods I ate when falling off--everything I could remember. I was generous with quantities and wasn't skimping out. Then after entering everything, I took a big breath to see the 'damage' I actually caused. Every time I did this, I found that I really wasn't nearly as 'bad' as I thought I was when out of control. I found that this was better than turning a bad eye to my bad choices over a few days. This helped me learn that it's okay to fall off, dust off, learn, and jump right back on again. Actually it helped me pull the reigns in and get focused much more quickly then burying my actions and saying "On MOnday....". Funny thing is that we are only human. Feel free to add me and congratulations for coming back.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    welcome back!

I fell off the wagon when i gave myself a "2 week break" for Christmas... August I'm finally getting back on track! Safe to say that not only did I fall off the wagon but it ran me over a couple times as well!

Finding the courage to start again is the toughest part. After a few days, old habits start to come back and as you start to feel better you'll find your motivation again. Feel free to add me if you like. I'm just getting back in the saddle as well so I can relate to what you're going through! :flowerforyou:
  • DairByNature
    DairByNature Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well welcome back :happy:
    I joined MFP in jan 2012, but then had a massive blip in jan this year upuntill about may, but im back on it & not not far away from my weight goal, I find it really helpfull with MFP friends encourging me on the long journey,
    I also went through a staage of not logging everything, but then i realised that by not logging EVERYTHING, i was only fooling myself & no one else,
    feel free to add me, motivational friends are such a big help :bigsmile:
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

I've done the same thing; this is my 3rd time back on MFP. We *CAN* do this.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the majority of people on here have had their moments when they have fell off track - I know I certainly have.

Just try to remember that there is no shame in logging any 'naughty foods', we all need a treat now & again! I've found that when I've logged the 'naughty foods', in reality the nutritional value of the product isn't as bad as I actually thought! (although I did have a pizza hut & weekend - not so good - eeeek!!)

The main thing is that you've took the step to come back & start your weight loss again!

Try not to dwell on what's already happened. Look ahead & start a fresh today & remember, we are all entitled to a treat! As my Mum always says 'everything in moderation'.

Good luck!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

what is MFP? I'm currently on Herbalife, I was going so good then I feel off the wagon, but I'm back on and hoping this time I stick to the programme till the end..I/ we hope to encourage one another and reach our goal weight..

All the best to all of us

MFP = Myfitnesspal :flowerforyou:
  • JRo4604
    JRo4604 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been there - I had been on and off MFP and have definitely gained some weight when I was off. I think the biggest key to success is be consistently logging EVERYTHING, even when you eat ridiculous amounts of junk and are 3,000 calories over your limit for the day (believe me, it definitely happens to me from time to time, and I typically go over my daily limit at least once or twice a week, sometimes by a significant amount). The annoyance of logging all of the extra calories and seeing the number of what you would weigh if every day were like that will help you get right back on the bandwagon the next day.

Remember, just because you go over one day it doesn't mean you fail - in fact, it's expected. The most important thing is not being perfect every day but sticking to a long-term concerted effort over time.

Good luck! And feel free to add me as a friend if you like, we could all use more support!
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've fallen of the wagon and eaten enough junk to carry the wagon but I have decided I'm not going to give up. I enjoy reading your comments and they really help me. thanks MFP members.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Was using MFP regularly and it was really working. I had a string of bad days where I ate lots of naughty food and I felt too ashamed to put it all on to MFP. A few days then turned in to a couple of weeks and before I knew it I was back to where I started.

I'm back and determined to make this work for me. I'm back doing regular exercise and enjoying it. It's now time to tackle my food and regain control.

No more shame. I guess I'm not the only one who has perhaps missed off a few food items to avoid the guilt. Need to be honest with myself and accept that I'm not perfect and I am going to be occasionally tempted.

Good luck to you all. Any words of wisdom or support are welcome.

Graeme :)

I stopped because of school holidays and Xmas and gave my self time to relax and enjoy holidays. Holidays turned into new year and before I knew it I had put on all the weight I lost during the year. Finally in July I returned to the gym. I am very embarrassed and annoyed with myself but I know I can do it again.
    I don't really have any words of wisdom, it helps me to take lots of photos and compare them all the time. Also when you go down a size in clothes buy some new clothes put your bigger clothes away, it really gives you motivation when you feel your new clothes getting tight or when you have to go back to wearing your old bigger clothes.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh... been there, done that, more times than I care to recall.

Sometimes I've logged when I've gone off track, sometimes I haven't.

All you can do is dust yourself off and get back at it.

Good luck. ~hugs~
  • JennPrebs
    JennPrebs Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Pretty much same ad everyone else was a daily logger dedicated motivated etc. I feel of the wagon when I got my promotion at work went back into old habits. I have been back to MFP for 10 days now and feeling good. I can't let screwy work schedules and working at a bar get in my way to find my healthy life style again! Good thing those 4 months or so I was being a little piglet I only gained back 5 lbs!