Does holding my belly all day help to lose belly fat??

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    No. It can help make the abs stronger but not lose the belly fat
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    No, but it teaches you posture. In the weeks leading up to a comp, when I get up and walk around at the office and when I'm walking around town I do stomach vacums. This way you learn to hold your stomach in and walk with a better posture which means it works automatically on stage...

Being a ex-gymnast I've been holding my belly pretty much all my life. Just help you have a better posture, I don't even think about it anymore I just do it.

Yeah after it being drilled into your head to tuck in your stomach you natrually do it now lol...I am the same way and I stopped doing ballet when I was like 8 lol (found softball instead hehe), but I still naturally do to this day. I am prime example of teaching a child good habits early...at least I try to think that lol. Too bad the healthy eating part I didnt' learn early lol...oh well, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks right?
  • Mirita09
    Mirita09 Posts: 16 Member
    OK thank you so much everybody for the advice, l'll try too keep my belly sucked in all day, after all, the only thing l want is to have a flat belly.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    OK thank you so much everybody for the advice, l'll try too keep my belly sucked in all day, after all, the only thing l want is to have a flat belly.
    holding your belly button in all day isn't going to make the fat disappear from your body......................................
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

The only thing that will accomplish is making it look like you're holding your belly in.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

So everyone told you that this isn't going to work, and what you took from that is that you should still do it?

If the only thing you want is to have a flat belly, eat at a calorie deficit. That's the only way.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member

Did you read ANY of the responses?
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    It helps posture. I was told to try do it to improve mine because of my neck problems, noticed slightly tighter abs and better posture. No fat loss though.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    OP, are you trolling? Because your other post topics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052046-i-can-t-suck-my-belly-button-in-while-exercising
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1064320-fat-caused-by-skinny-jeans

are just so seemingly......naive....that I am having a hard time believing you are in earnest and are serious.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    I've been doing it for years (it's so natural to me that I rarely think about it anymore). It will not reduce belly fat, but it will strengthen your core muscles a bit.

Synopsis: Good for posture, but does NOT melt belly fat.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    OP, are you trolling? Because your other post topics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052046-i-can-t-suck-my-belly-button-in-while-exercising
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1064320-fat-caused-by-skinny-jeans

are just so seemingly......naive....that I am having a hard time believing you are in earnest and are serious.

Maybe she's not really 18 and only 13?

And it is sad that the only thing she wants is a flat belly. I want to be happy and thoughtful and have a healthy family and I want chocolate and to knit a sweater. There is so much to life than just having a flat belly.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    How to burn belly fat:

blowtorch.jpg
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    I want chocolate and to knit a sweater.

I think I love you.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    The only thing I've ever heard is corset training helps prevent the abdominal walls from growing sort of like how Japanese women bind their feet to prevent growth... This was an OLD school bodybuilding thing that I think people sort of gave up on. You'll still see people claiming it works with those gels and wraps.

There is a way to stabilize your core to train your abs, but it's not going to burn any fat.
  • we've been doing it all wrong with the eating right and exercising...good to know I can toss that stuff! ...just suck in your stomach to a new you!
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    What I barely understand of all of this: Good diet helps you with the belly fat.. If you tend to get bloated fast (I know I do!), try to avoid the food that bloats you (broccoli, bread, beer, etc) and that will help you temporally.

But as far as I know, even if you do tons of situps, and abs exercise, the belly fat will remain there until the overall body fat get lowered (as other say, you just can't choose a spot where you can lose the fat.. if that would be possible, I'd choose my legs!). For example, after almost a month of gym I feel my abs getting stronger, but the fat reminds there haha...

However, if you hold your belly and straightener your back you'll look a bit taller and have better posture. In yoga, my teacher always pushed us to walk and stand correctly in order to strenght our core and look better... But not to lose fat, at all!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    If you hold your belly all day, you will have your core muscles under tension so you will burn fat.

You'll burn about 1 calorie a day, I expect.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    If you hold your belly all day, you will have your core muscles under tension so you will burn fat.

So at a month it'd be 30 calories! Yay for extra calories on the last day of the month!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member

So at a month it'd be 30 calories! Yay for extra calories on the last day of the month!

I like your PMA!

And at the end of the year 365 calories burnt!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    buy a high waist-ed skirt and a big wide belt.

Will accomplish the same thing.

god where do these people come from? seriously.