confused about calories

Options
I hear all over this site about needed to net at least 1200 calories. I just can't do it. I am 5'2", currently 127lbs, though I am best at about 110-115 as I am very small framed. Never had an issue before, but ever since hitting 30, I gained 20 lbs so easily! I am sick of it and trying to get back to 110-115lbs.

Since doing MFP, I have been netting approx. 900 calories a day. I am very active. I am a stay-at-home mom that never has a chance to sit down during the day and I go to the gym 6 days a week - 2 spin classes, 2 abs classes, 2 Body Pump classes, and running 2.5 miles once or twice a week. I am not hungry at all eating this amount - I actually feel like I eat a lot. I have lost 3 lbs in a week and a half and am happy with my progress. I feel fantastic and have TONS of energy.

Here is what my day was today -
Breakfast - Oatmeal with mixed berries and a few nuts
Did Les Mills CX Works and an hour in Spin class
Lunch - 6 cups of Romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup of black beans, 1 oz cheese, 2 oz chicken
Did all the household chores- laundry, cleaning, etc.
Snack - Cheese stick, half an apple, and a few peanuts
Snack - Chocolate Muffin
Dinner - 1.5 cups of Eggplant w/ 1oz. mozzarella cheese, olive oil, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of bread crumbs

I netted 916 calories today after exercise. If I am losing weight at a healthy pace, have energy and endurance, and feel like I am getting plenty of food (not at all hungry) - should I really try to "stuff" myself to eat 300 more calories?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Replies

• HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Try having a smoothie as a snack. Drinking calories is wonderful when you're not having enough calories in a day :

People drink faster than they eat, so they have time to consume more before their bodies send them satiety cues.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your counting your calories properly? You did eat well but it seems like you ate more than 900 calories just by what you posted. If you think the amount you logged is accurate for your size your BMR is around 1400 calories so ya just to keep your organs working properly, remember you burn calories just by breathing sonyouhave to fuel your body enough to keep it alive. If you're used to eatung llightly it might be a challenge to eat more but with your active routine it is probably best if you start adding a thing or two here and there. Try eating nuts, or making a smoothie and adding in some Protein.
  • AshLawsonPearson
    AshLawsonPearson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing a great job. You lost a ton of weight in the first week, but it will (unfortunately) slow down as you get smaller.

I am 5'1" and weigh 124 pounds, and like you, that's not "super skinny" as it is for taller people.

With all of the working out that you are doing, it would be very hard to net 1200 calories-- I mean, you'd have to go to McDonalds for a meal!

Do NOT eat just to eat. That's ridiculous.

I net anywhere from 800 to 1000 calories per day to lose weight.

SO MANY websites insist that you're going anorexic if you eat under 1,200 calories-- but they are basing it on average height, and unfortunately, we are NOT near average height!!!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    if its working and ur happy why change. BTW a choc muffin from dunkin donuts may have 600 cals!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough calories or protein.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing a great job. You lost a ton of weight in the first week, but it will (unfortunately) slow down as you get smaller.

I am 5'1" and weigh 124 pounds, and like you, that's not "super skinny" as it is for taller people.

With all of the working out that you are doing, it would be very hard to net 1200 calories-- I mean, you'd have to go to McDonalds for a meal!

SO MANY websites insist that you're going anorexic if you eat under 1,200 calories-- but they are basing it on average height, and unfortunately, we are NOT near average height!!!

Please stop giving advice. By all means do whatever ridiculous nonsense you wish to your own body, but don't spread that to others.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I hear all over this site about needed to net at least 1200 calories. I just can't do it. I am 5'2", currently 127lbs, though I am best at about 110-115 as I am very small framed. Never had an issue before, but ever since hitting 30, I gained 20 lbs so easily! I am sick of it and trying to get back to 110-115lbs.

Since doing MFP, I have been netting approx. 900 calories a day. I am very active. I am a stay-at-home mom that never has a chance to sit down during the day and I go to the gym 6 days a week - 2 spin classes, 2 abs classes, 2 Body Pump classes, and running 2.5 miles once or twice a week. I am not hungry at all eating this amount - I actually feel like I eat a lot. I have lost 3 lbs in a week and a half and am happy with my progress. I feel fantastic and have TONS of energy.

Here is what my day was today -
    Breakfast - Oatmeal with mixed berries and a few nuts
    Did Les Mills CX Works and an hour in Spin class
    Lunch - 6 cups of Romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup of black beans, 1 oz cheese, 2 oz chicken
    Did all the household chores- laundry, cleaning, etc.
    Snack - Cheese stick, half an apple, and a few peanuts
    Snack - Chocolate Muffin
    Dinner - 1.5 cups of Eggplant w/ 1oz. mozzarella cheese, olive oil, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of bread crumbs

I netted 916 calories today after exercise. If I am losing weight at a healthy pace, have energy and endurance, and feel like I am getting plenty of food (not at all hungry) - should I really try to "stuff" myself to eat 300 more calories?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

I don't believe you. And yes, you should be eating more.

But good luck, sounds like your mind is made up!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

^ Please don't listen to this person as it is terrible advice.
  • megan020103
    Options
    Thank you very much for all of your responses. I do feel I am counting calories correctly as the total calories from that yesterday was 1323 and the net calories was 916. The chocolate muffin I had was a homemade whole wheat mini muffin, so I think the calories are fairly accurate.

Not sure why some people are giving me a hard time. Not sure why you don't believe me, but it is the truth. If it is the food - that is what I enjoy. I never tracked calories or weighed out food before, so I am sure I ate significantly more calories before by using more than a serving. I also go to the gym 6 days a week because as a stay at home mom it is my ONLY break from my children. So I enjoy having that hour or 2 for myself. I tried eating up to 1200 net yesterday by adding some nuts and a cheese stick before bed. I did gain a half a pound but I am sure it is muscle and not fat.

I haven't made up my mind. I was honestly asking for opinion because it does go against everything we are taught to eat if we aren't hungry. I don't want to just be thin - I want to be very fit. So I do seriously care that my body and muscles are getting what they need. I am going to give it a shot and try to add a little more in for a week to see how that goes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain half a pound of muscle (or fat) in a day. Also, losing 3 pounds in a week and a half with such little weight to lose is not a "healthy pace." A healthy pace would be a quarter to a half a pound a week.

Absolutely not eating enough. Not enough calories, not enough protein, not enough fat. This is pretty much the definition of a crash diet, and the start of yo-yo dieting.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    A calorie isn't a calorie... I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but your body is going to process 100 calories worth of protein differently than a 100 calories worth of carbs.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Please stop giving advice. By all means do whatever ridiculous nonsense you wish to your own body, but don't spread that to others.
    Oh god!! Totally agreed....trying to make this person ill...
  • mootje15
    Options
    In my opinion you have to fit those calories and even more calories for yourself. The goal is to eat as much as you can while losing weight on a relatively good and healthy rate ( 1-2 pounds a week ). 900 calories for a active woman like you is simply to less. The problem with you eating 900 calories is the fact that everyone has a sticking point or plateau. When you reach yours, you need to lower your calories and lower them even further when the time comes. Lowering 900 calories is really dettrementol for your body. In my opinion you have to eat way more than that, sometimes up to maybe 1800 calories a day. And you say that you find it hard to eat more. Well trow in some ice cream or chocolate and voila you have your calories. Do not believe in good or bad calories. All calories are processed the same in the body. A 200 calorie magnum is the same as a 200 calorie apple, considering that there is micronutrient differences. But pure in the aspect of energy, it's totalty the same. This is the concept of flexible dieting or IIFYM.
    The rules of flexible dieting : proper fiber intake, 2 fruits and veggies a day, and that is it. Reach for your macros or calories and you will be fine. So in my opinion you eat to more and If you have trouble with eating that, trow in a high calories food in.

Its long I know, but I had to say this.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Muhammed Can
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I take it your not trying to lose weight at this moment...perhaps you worded this wrong because it could be dangerous for the individual to go below 1200 calories depending on the person. By looking at your nutrition as of late, you are presently netting anywhere from 1500-2100 calories. Please use caution when giving advice, especially in this field of fitness.
  • mootje15
    Options
    No, you are right. Body burns more calories while processing protein. But for everything else, its just energy and it is the same bro.
  • mootje15
    Options
    We are not here to give you a hard time. We are simply here to help you and spread the truth about nutrition. You are simply eating to low calories. 900 calories for a female with that activity rate is not normal. You have to eat more and If you see that you already gain weight by eating 1200 1300 1400 calories or so, that means that you have metabolic damage because of this kind of diets. If this is true, I would suggest you to hire very skilled trainers to help you with your metabolism. Layne norton is a man who does this. But not to scare you, maybe it is not even the case. Byee
  • babyseal_24
    babyseal_24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You ought to meet with a dietician. Only they will be able to give you a REAL answer to this question that isn't mostly spectulation. The truth could go either way- both sides have logical reasons for their answers.
  • megan020103
    Options
    Thanks again! I am going to try as hard as I can to get to the 1200 net. I am going to do this by adding a little more protein to each meal. I think this is where I am lacking and always have. I am just not real big on eating meat. I disagree with those that say a calorie is a calorie...sure it may be that way as far as weight is concerned, but I think your body gets many more benefits from eating spinach than processed junk! I eat a very clean diet and avoid processed foods at all costs so adding these isn't realistic for me. I also think a treat is only a treat if it is not everyday! The chocolate muffin was one of my few allowed treats for the week - and it was all natural and homemade.

Again, I just was curious what the thoughts were. I will be running my very first race - a 4k - on labor day, and I want to give the best performance I can. I don't want to be weak.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It was like this for me at first too, I ate like 1200-1300 calories while working out for 30 minutes a day... and I wasn't hungry. But it didn't last. The loss slowed down and I got hungrier, although to be fair I typically end up eating 'junk' to fill up my calories nowadays.

I totally agree about adding protein, you need them for bodypump etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A calorie isn't a calorie... I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but your body is going to process 100 calories worth of protein differently than a 100 calories worth of carbs.
    While technically true, the difference is pretty negligible. It's a difference of about 0.1 calories. If you replaced 100 calories of carbs with 100 calories of protein, you'd burn an extra 10 calories. Plus eating higher protein and lower carb requires eating higher fat, and fat takes less calories to digest, so it pretty much evens out anyway. It's an interesting concept to consider, but it really doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Here's an interesting example. Comparing the "standard American diet" (65/15/20) to a low carb diet (10/30/60.) Using a 2000 calorie diet, the SAD would yield a TEF of about 198 calories. The low carb diet (which has double the protein) actually has a lower TEF, 164 calories approximately.

So a person drastically cutting carbs and doubling their protein intake would actually burn less calories overall, not more. But again, that's a difference of about 30 calories, which is completely insignificant considering the lack of precision in calculating caloric intake and burn.