Yoga?

Options
I've been needing yoga lately. Problem? I have no idea what/how/when/noidea where to even begin.
I've been thinking about Jillian Michaels "yoga meltdown" but I'm a beginner - and that doesn't exactly look beginner friendly.

I've done yoga before - but it was mainly just for meditation. Problem being it was in a class for high school (5 years ago)

So does anyone have any trainers they'd recommend that I can look into? Or if there's any free online videos they'd recommend? Or even certain poses/what to do etc that you wouldn't mind sharing? :)

On a side note; what does Yoga do for you? How does it benefit you? Would you do it as a workout for the day or a combination?

Replies

• casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do yogilates and I really enjoy it. After the class I am more relaxed and I sleep like a baby. It did tone my whole body, but not by a lot. I think you should join a class instead of youtube videos because you need a teacher to show you how to do the poses right. If you don't do them right you don't feel the strech and risk hurting yourself.
  • simplysplendid
    Options
    Hi there! I usually practice yoga four or five times a week. Each week my practice becomes less for exercise and more for personal growth and wellness. Jillian Michael's yoga meltdown isn't REALLY what yoga is supposed to be about, in my opinion... hers is mostly to lose weight. Yoga (for me, at least) is for deepening your sense of self and finding peace within you. That sounds super cheesy! :laugh:
    ~
    Anyway, here are some links to videos that I follow on Youtube:
    ~
    75 minute sequence- "Sun Spirals to Self Connect" (my personal favorite, very relaxing)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6WKEl0NdUI
    ~
    20 minute sequence- "Yoga for Complete Beginners"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0kNeOyH98
    ~
    40 minute sequence- "Grounding Afternoon Yoga Practice" (soothing, good if you are having a rough day)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tklllKHDkIE
    ~
    20 minute sequence- "Weight Loss & Fatburning Yoga Workout" (not as calming, but it really gets that burn going)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Wt9CFb-4s
    ~
    20 minute sequence- "30 Day Yoga Challenge: Day 1" (here's a practice you can follow day by day to become more experienced)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wJtQjQ4HI8
    ~~~
    You should also subscribe to Tara Stiles on Youtube. She has a plethora of practices that you can use, as well as delicious recipes you should try. Also, check out www.yogajournal.com, the online version of the magazine Yoga Journal. I found that this website helped me correct my poses.
    I hope that helped! Good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • lumpy_spaceprincess
    lumpy_spaceprincess Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    http://brandnewyearnewme.tumblr.com/post/56775337782/fit-heaven-best-websites-for-yoga-yoga

I use a lot of these links, I particularly love the ones for fat loss. I think yoga has so many benefits and I really enjoy it.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    *bump* to read later. :flowerforyou:
  • Jessastar
    Jessastar Posts: 234
    Options
    I can't join classes. I have no transportation/money/gym accessible. I do everything at home.

Thanks for everything guys, I'll definitely look into all of them! (:
  • zoe534
    zoe534 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started yoga following Esther Ekhart, she is really great and has lots of videos on you tube. You can look her up with the tag yogatic. Hope that helps.
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started yoga following Esther Ekhart, she is really great and has lots of videos on you tube. You can look her up with the tag yogatic. Hope that helps.

I love her videos as well, she clearly explains all the poses. I also love Tara Stiles, she has her own youtube channel with videos for different levels.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the very first yoga DVD I bought- it's called Yoga For Weight Loss, by Suzanne Deason. I bought it nearly 10 years ago, and despite having done many other sequences and poses, this one is my absolute favorite. It is challenging yet gentle, and if you do all three segments, it still only takes about 50 minutes.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've used this site before:

http://www.doyogawithme.com/

There are tons of videos. You can search by type, level and length to find one that is perfect for whatever you need that day.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    saving for later!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try yoga as a beginner without taking a class. Several classes. Please. You can injure yourself or at best, you will do the poses wrong and not get the benefit.

Take classes and then ask about DVDs.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do Yoga on Sunday's my "rest day" from Insanity. I use DVD's from Rodney Ye.. You can find them at Target, Walmart etc. He has an AM/PM Yoga that's 30 min each and good for beginners. Actually it was this very dvd that I got started doing Yoga.

Yoga is good for relaxing and stretching. After a week of Insanity doing Yoga really relax my muscles and enable me to continue on. www.gaiamtv.com/RodneyYee
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • 311pilgrims
    Options
    I agree with rml_16:
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try yoga as a beginner without taking a class. Several classes. Please. You can injure yourself or at best, you will do the poses wrong and not get the benefit.

*Try community class offerings or many places allow you to try a class or week for free if you've never been to the studio.
    *Also try the library if you don't have DVDs, it could be a way for you to try different styles without buying them and having them sit on your shelf ( like me :/ ). There are so many different styles and practices of yoga that you'll really have to try many to find what you're looking for exercise and meditation-wise :)
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

I 100% agree with this poster. As a yogi, I see injuries all the time. It is best to *try* a class first. See if there are free classes nearby. LuLulemon stores have classes they have for free on Sundays.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with rml_16:

*Try community class offerings or many places allow you to try a class or week for free if you've never been to the studio.
    *Also try the library if you don't have DVDs, it could be a way for you to try different styles without buying them and having them sit on your shelf ( like me :/ ). There are so many different styles and practices of yoga that you'll really have to try many to find what you're looking for exercise and meditation-wise :)

^ This exactly .. in my area studios are always offering the first class free and the local community center has free classes once per week usually in the evening. If transportation is an issue do you have city transit you could use? You only need to take a few classes for your body to form what my yogi calls "muscle memory" so that your body will remember the postures it was in... but I definitely agree you could seriously hurt yourself if you go into a posture you're not ready for or incorrectly. Good luck!!! Namaste!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would try to find a local class in the more mainstream traditions such as Iyengar (focussing more on correct alignment) or Ashtanga (which tends to be faster and more dynamic). But don't let that put you off trying yoga at all; you will soon get the basics and build confidence in the postures.