Am I just out of touch with prices??

Options
ken_hogan
ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
I went tie shopping over the weekend and quite a few of the ties I came across were ~$50 or so. Is that how much ties go for now or is that a little high? It has been quite a while since I bought one but wasn't sure if I was that out of touch with prices on ties.

Replies

• _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    In my experience that is about right, my husband wears ties a lot. That is about the average price if you are shopping at Kohls/JC Penney but if you go to a higher end store they go up in price.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    In my experience that is about right, my husband wears ties a lot. That is about the average price if you are shopping at Kohls/JC Penney but if you go to a higher end store they go up in price.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. The Men's Wearhouse has a sale buy one get one half off. I guess I'll have to break down and get two maybe with that sale.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Unless you need a tie right now, try checking some online stores like saveonties.com I've never actually bought anything from there, but they've got pretty good prices.

And, yes, it does seem like the price of ties has gotten ridiculous lately.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. The Men's Wearhouse has a sale buy one get one half off. I guess I'll have to break down and get two maybe with that sale.

http://www.thetiebar.com/categoryPages/All_Ties.asp

Same thing what Tony Balony said. If you need a tie ASAP then go get one, but if you have some time shop around online. It looks like if you buy form thetiebar they ship to you free, you have 30 days to exchange or get a refund, less your cost to ship it back.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Screw ties . Ditch the Tie
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's an insane amount of money for a small strip of fabric. Yikes! I don't know if that's the usual, but department stores tend to be more expensive than other options. I like the online suggestion. I'm sure you can find something cheaper.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I find them all the time at Macy's for 40 - 50% off, then I use my Macy's card or coupon for another 20% off. This will keep you in $30 or less range.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Since when is $50 a lot for a tie? Besides socks, that's the cheapest part of a nice wardrobe.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you feel about thrift stores, but I've found brand new, tags still attached, clothing items every time I've shopped at one. Literally, every time. Of course, it's hit or miss, and YMMV, but it's definitely a more cost-effective option.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Check some of the thrift stores, rerun stores, etc in nicer areas.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I don't know where you're at, but try checking a Marshalls/TJ Maxx/ROSS store? Last Christmas, I bought my brother who is in law school a 100% silk Calvin Klein tie for like $13 at ROSS. It was absolutely beautiful, and I'd rather pay $13 for it...then like $70!!
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Looking at typical UK prices that seems excessive unless you shop at Harrods!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Since when is $50 a lot for a tie? Besides socks, that's the cheapest part of a nice wardrobe.

Probably since the last time OP bought a tie?
  • ken_hogan
    Options

Probably since the last time OP bought a tie?

Exactly. Its been so long since the last time I purchased a tie that I can't remember when it was or how much I had paid for it.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I don't know where you're at, but try checking a Marshalls/TJ Maxx/ROSS store? Last Christmas, I bought my brother who is in law school a 100% silk Calvin Klein tie for like $13 at ROSS. It was absolutely beautiful, and I'd rather pay $13 for it...then like $70!!

Thanks...I'll check them out!!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I also bought my hubby a nice silk tie for Christmas at TJMaxx and it was about $20 give or take. Also, JCPenney with my card and a coupon like another poster said and the tie was about $20 also.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    When I used to wear ties, I easily paid $125 and more for them. I really got into them, because I wear plain clothes, and the tie made the difference. A blue suit and white shirt and a badass tie would bring it all together. But, yeah, I'd say in the $50 range is average for a nice tie. I gave all mine away and said I'd never wear one again.

And, as an aside, I feel that way every time I shop for socks. It blows my mind how much they cost.

Agreed on socks... The husband mentioned getting him new socks yesterday. His toes seem to eat them? I told him he was going to have to start working a street corner with no socks on just to pay for the freakers. Guess you don't need socks when wearing heels anyways... amirite?

OP I second or third or what ever number I am on the Ross/Marshall's/TJMax idea.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    When I used to wear ties, I easily paid $125 and more for them. I really got into them, because I wear plain clothes, and the tie made the difference. A blue suit and white shirt and a badass tie would bring it all together. But, yeah, I'd say in the $50 range is average for a nice tie. I gave all mine away and said I'd never wear one again.

And, as an aside, I feel that way every time I shop for socks. It blows my mind how much they cost.

Agreed on socks... The husband mentioned getting him new socks yesterday. His toes seem to eat them? I told him he was going to have to start working a street corner with no socks on just to pay for the freakers. Guess you don't need socks when wearing heels anyways... amirite?

OP I second or third or what ever number I am on the Ross/Marshall's/TJMax idea.

Sounds like he needs to cut his toenails :)