How do you track how far you have gone on bicycle and speed?

Options
2»

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Runtastic is another one that I use. It gives you options for running, biking walking, etc. Like others said, there are a lot of other options with apps and other devices.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bike computers are cheap, department stores and bike shops have them. Get a HRM. This will tell you everything that an app will tell you, if you don't have a smartphone. It's what I use.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I use Sports Tracker on my smart phone. It tracks walking, running, cycling, skiing, rollerskating and much more. There are tons of trackers out there. All the best with your cycling.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a bike odometer. you place a little tag on your wheel. it passes a sensor on the frame..wich feeds the small display wirelessly
    ( you have to input frame and wheel size / age weight and sex at first boot.. the rest is done for you!
    tells you "cals burnt, Speed, Trip distance, Trip Time, Overall time & Distance Top & Average speed" and all for under £20 in a electrical gadgets store
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Before all these apps came out, I would note the time before I started and when I finished, then used google maps to map out my route to see how far it was and I used those numbers to estimate my speed.
  • Newhornist
    Newhornist Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are many bicycle computers available. They vary in price from around $30 to well over $300. The basic ones calculate speed and distance and they do that by setting the circumference of your front tire. It's best to have a bike shop install it for you but you can figure it out yourself. I use a bike computer manufactured by Polar. It calculates speed, distance, cadence, heart rate and calories burned based on your age, height, weight and effort during the ride.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    My cousin uses an app called Cyclemeter
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Runtastic is another great app. You input all your personal data then choose what type of exercise you're doing (walking, running, biking, mountain biking, etc) and it gives you calorie count, avg speed, distance, etc. And, it can upload right to MFP. Good luck!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I havent tried that one, this lets you view public segments so you can see how you do compared to others in your area. Also lots of other great features.
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use the Runtastic Road Bike app. It'll track route and speed by GPS and break it all out for you.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRide and RideTracker on iOS. MapMyRide also calculates calories, speed, elevation, maps my route, and calculates how much time I spent at each speed. It was on sale recently and I got the pro version for 99 cents.

RideTracker tracks total time, average speed, average pace, max speed, max altitude, and maps the route. It is free. but doesn't calculate calories. I will likely delete this version because I like to know how many calories I burned.
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't do speed, and I'm not sure cycling under the influence of it is a good idea.....