Is white rice bad on a diet?

Options
Im an asian and part of my meal is white rice do i need to count carbs too? Im eating 1200cal a day and im eating meals with rice..

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    No, they are not bad. They are simple carbs - carbs that diggest faster. People may say that simple carbs will make you fat and be bad for weight loss, I disagree tho. It's all about calories. I ate a lot of simple carbs and I'm doing great. As for counting, you don't have to, of course unless you wanna take it to extreme and diet down super lean like in bodybuilding contest shape or something, but not for general health and weight loss. ^^
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of white rice as I can have bread and still lost weight.
  • autumnmctaggart
    autumnmctaggart Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. I am currently living in Thailand and white rice is a staple here that I eat everyday.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad they are part of a balanced diet. Mr Atkins has a lot to answer for with all the carb myths and stupidity that goes around
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    White rice is good...however it digests fast and we end up feeling hungry soon.....protein keeps tummy full for little longer. ..brown rice releases energy slowly ...having said that ..as long as one is exercising and utilizing energy released by carbs then there is absolutely no problem with rice....
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As long as you are sticking to calories lower than your TDEE you could just eat it all day long and you would lose weight. Personally I would try and mix it with some proteins and fats to keep me feeling full for longer as although I feel full when I first eat rice, I am usually pretty hungry soon after.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Im an asian and part of my meal is white rice do i need to count carbs too? Im eating 1200cal a day and im eating meals with rice..

White rice is perfectly fine on a diet as is any other food
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    OP, it's all about portion control. No white rice is not bad for you.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad they are part of a balanced diet. Mr Atkins has a lot to answer for with all the carb myths and stupidity that goes around

This.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Bump!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    White rice is perfectly fine.

Although, brown rice has more fiber, but some people can't stand the taste of brown rice.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

exactly.

...and OP, you might wanna look into http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to figure out a better number than "OMG 1200!"
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    No. It isn't bad. I'm an asian too. As long as you do activity that keeps you moving let's say 10 minute jogging, then white rice isn't bad..

because carbs like white rice are mostly used as fuel for energy..

:)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

exactly.

...and OP, you might wanna look into http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to figure out a better number than "OMG 1200!"

This.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I cut out a lot of my starches (rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc) at dinner time not because of the carbohydrates, but because they're usually the most calorie-dense part of my meal and the easiest way to cut down on calories per meal. If you're in an Asian culture and/or household, this may not be an option.

Rice itself will not cause you to get fat more than any other food of the same caloric value, but be very careful about your portion sizes. It's a pretty calorie-dense food so a little goes a long way.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I avoid it but only because of how my body responds to white rice or white pasta. I get a very brief energy peak, followed by a massive energy slump. Sometimes it's so bad that I could virtually fall asleep within 20-30 mins of eating the stuff. I just do better without it, but each to their own.
  • barc0040
    barc0040 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Rice eating countries have the lowest rates of obesity. 3 billion Asians can't be wrong. Low carb dieters still struggle to answer that one! 2 billIn fact, Duke university even runs a weight loss clinic centered around rice. So no, go ahead and enjoy your white rice. Same goes for the white potato. They are low in sodium and fat, and high in fiber.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    White rice is never bad unless you're eating too much of it. It's delicious.