Do these calorie burn numbers seem accurate?

Options
Since I dont have a HRM I thought I would try using the calories burned off the calculator at healthstatus.com because it was recommended to me by several other MFP users. So putting in my weight of 230 this is what it gave me for 10 minutes of each activitiy.

Walking 80
Jogging 120
Zumba 140
Biking 150

Those amounts seem high to me, but then I have also heard that the more you weigh, the more you burn. What does everyone else think? Are those numbers reasonable or can you recommend a different website that is more accurate in your experience?

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think the biking sounds high, unless you are really booking it!! The other numbers seem plausible, at 135 I burn about 100 calories every 10 min of running, but only like 60 biking! Hath!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    They seem a tad high to me as well. Namely the biking and walking.

The running seems okay. I usually burn 130-160 calories per mile and I run a 10 minute mile, so I can believe that number.

Biking there are a lot of variables that an online calculator can't take into account such as pedal cadence, elevation changes, speed, wheel size and type, frame weight, etc. I can ride my mountain bike on a paved road and burn way more calories than on my road bike for the same distance. Most of the numbers I have seen for road bike rides at a competitive speed are 600-800 calories per hour, so maybe that number is in the ballpark, but it still seems high to me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The problem with all of those numbers is that they don't take intensity into account. For example, I burn different calorie amounts every time I ride my stationary bike because sometimes I'm doing it while I sit and watch a show so am just doing it to keep moderately active instead of just sitting on my bum and other times, I'm working up a real sweat.

Walking... at what speed? 2 MPH is going to burn a lot less than the near jogging I'm doing at 4 MPH with my short little legs.

I think you get the idea.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Need to know speeds.
  • ValerieS1122
    ValerieS1122 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just checked it out. It's pretty much accurate for my Zumba :-) I do have a HRM to compare it against.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I guess I really have no idea what speed I normally go so nevermind. I will just keep completely guessing until I get a new HRM.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bodytronics.com has good HRM. I purchased my polar ft4 through them for about $63. I googled a promo code that saved me 5% as well. Ive had it since may and I'm very happy with it.

IDK if you have a smart phone but I use Runkeeper to help with the speed. It has GPS so you can only use it outside.

the calorie burn is never going to be an exact science, unfortunately. :(
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation...I never thought to look for a coupon code. I dont have a smartphone but I cant imagine my jog speed can be too fast haha. I go as long and hard as I can but at this point, that isnt very far or hard.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a smartphone you can either plot your route on a map to get the distance- there's a few available but I used to use walkjogrun.net or you can drive it to get the mileage, then you just time it and you can get your speed.