More Food

Options
So... I started out losing a fair bit of weight in the first few weeks of MFP and in total have lost 13lbs so far which I am happy with.

I am on 1440 calories a day, weigh 213 lbs and am 5'9. I eat at least half of my exercise calories back.

Quetsions is - my weight loss has stalled recently and I am wondering if I need to eat more food? I am set to lose 1.5lbs a week in MFP settings/goals.

Any advice appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring all your food? Being really honest with what you log? How are you tracking your exercise? Not likely that in 4 weeks you've caused an issue that you need to eat more but if weight loss has stalled on 1440 plus exercise I suspect that there's some imbalance with food and exercise.
  • jenbear1980
    Options
    I am weighing my food yes and have logged everything. I have been a bit ill the past few weeks, just feeling a bit run down, so I have probably not done as much exercise as I should have been doing, but have still been fine with the food amounts and logging.

I will up the exercise and see how I get on.

Thanks for the reply:)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Upping exercise if you eat the calories back won't help. Your weight loss will be at least 80% your food intake. They say weight loss happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym.
  • jenbear1980
    Options
    Ok... so what should I do?
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Eating less of your exercise calories should help get you losing again. Either that, or you could increase the amount of activity (cardio).
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Everyone (mostly) tends to lose weight at first rather quickly. It's bound to slow down, it always does.

If you haven't been feeling well, consider that might be the problem. You haven't been exercising, but you're been eating the same you said.

I wouldn't automatically just start eating more. Get back to feeling better, get back to exercising. Make sure you weigh (digital scale) food and log it all. How do you track your calorie burns? With a heart rate monitor or from MFP?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm similar in size, and I've found that switching up the calorie goals and/or exercise can help me get back on track. Also, are you eating enough protein? I upped my protein from the MFP minimum of 15% to 30% , and that helped me start losing again.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    My question is this: How long exactly have you been stalled?

If its only been a week or two then that is not enough time to be panicking and wanting to make changes to what you have been doing. Sometimes your body just takes a break from losing to adjust and then starts losing again. You changing up what your doing will only make the stalled progression longer. Ive met people who's plateau's lasted 6-8 weeks before kick starting again and having lb's just fall off.

If you still aren't losing after 4 weeks, then consider making one change, either food or exercise and see if that works. Don't change everything because if it doesn't work, you wont know which part is wrong.
  • jenbear1980
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will up the exercise again now I am better and see how it goes.
    Have not lost for 2/3 weeks so like you say is not alot of time!
  • jenbear1980
    Options
    O - I am eating lots of protein and am using MFP calorie burns but going to buy a HRM next month!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you're stalled, try drinking water. A LOT of water (over 2 liters a day) Yeah, yeah, it sounds like a myth but I've heard it works for plateaus & it couldn't hurt.
  • jenbear1980
    Options
    Cool I will do that. I did do that then found I was going to the loo LOADS ha ha so cut down a bit. BUt I will increase the water. Thanks everyone:)