Truvia vs. Stevia...?

xDeannaGarciax
xDeannaGarciax Posts: 675
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I now have a box of the packets of Stevia and one of the containers of Truvia. I'd really like to know which you all prefer and your reasons? Is one truly better then the other? Any experiences or facts about either would be greatly appreciated. :smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    I honestly thought they were the same thing. Truvia is just a brand name, but it's the same thing. They are both made from the Stevia plant.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Isnt it the same thing?? Just truvia is a brand name? I have been 100% sugar free for months now. I only buy 100% pure stevia. Some you buy have fillers in it. Which isn't a problem if your not as weird as me lol But i just get sugar from fruit and stuff now and its going great. I love stevia. It wasn't as hard to switch over as i thought. Kind of bitter at first but i prefer it now. My body is no longer addicted to sugar which makes me happy :)
  • they're the same thing. they taste exactly the same and are made of the EXACT same stuff....truvia just comes in a crisp white package and costs a little more. lol i buy stevia and its DELICIOUS! (its a GREAT sugar sub in baked goods, my BF doesnt eat refined sugar (and is too lazy to go looking for sugar free baked goods himself, they're EASY to find) and always whines about not getting to have baked goods. so i make him sugar free muffins......he thinks i'm a genius.....all i do is sub stevia XD)
  • Thanks, that's what I thought. But here's a question, if their the same thing why then does the Stevia box of packets say 1g of carbs and Truvia says 4g of carbs?
  • Truvia is not the same as Stevia. Truvia has Erythritol.

"Truvia is made by steeping stevia leaves to extract Rebiana, a trade name for steviol glycoside rebaudioside. Supposedly its much like steeping tea, though it is probably much more complicated than that! The rebiana is also combined with Erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol that is made industrially by fermenting glucose with yeast." From losefree.com

Hope this helps. I do not use Truvia. The Stevia with the best flavor I've found is "Stevia in the Raw". But do not use the cup-for-cup
    variety that is bulked up with maltodextrin (a corn by-product). It's bitter! At least to me.
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Nothing in Truvia is even close to pure Stevia!!! I read the ingredients list of Truvia expecting to read Stevia, stevioside, or rebaudioside, but found only a modified version of rebaudioside as one of several ingredients.

Truvia contains erythritol, rebiana, & natural flavors.

Erythritol is not stevia at all, it is defined as: Erythritol ((2R,3S)-butane-1,2,3,4-tetraol) is a natural sugar alcohol (a type of sugar substitute) which has been approved for use in the United States[1] and throughout much of the world. It was discovered in 1848 by British chemist John Stenhouse.[2] It occurs naturally in fruits and fermented foods [3]. At the industrial level, it is produced from glucose by fermentation with a yeast, Moniliella pollinis[1]. It is 60–70% as sweet as table sugar yet it is almost non-caloric, does not affect blood sugar, does not cause tooth decay, and is absorbed by the body, therefore unlikely to cause gastric side effects unlike other sugar alcohols. Under U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeling requirements, it has a caloric value of 0.2 kilocalories per gram (95% less than sugar and other carbohydrates), though nutritional labelling varies from country to country—some countries like Japan label it as zero-calorie, while European Union regulations currently label it and all other sugar alcohols at 2.4 kcal/g.

Rebiana is not pure stevia, it is defined as: Rebiana is the trade name for high-purity rebaudioside A[1], a Steviol glycoside which when used as a non-nutritive sweetener is 200 times sweeter than sugar.[2] It is the primary source of sweetness in the Truvia sweetener brand. Rebiana is derived from Stevia leaves by steeping them in water.[3] Cargill has filed patents which give it exclusive rights to sell Rebiana in beverages.[4]

Stevia contains stevioside aka rebaudioside. These are names of the compounds that cause the sweet taste of the Stevia plant leaf. Stick with as PURE as possible. Don't be fooled by a VIA at the end of the name. Natural colors & flavors can be made of anything "natural", up to & including bugs. Watch out!
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member
    I've tried both. I didn't care for the after taste!

I use IDEAL NO CALORIE SWEETENER. No after taste at all. It measures just like sugar. And it is made with xylitol, which is supposed to be good for your teeth. I use it mostly in coffee and iced tea. It's not an artificial sweetener. It's contains 99% natural ingredients. You can find it in the same section of your grocery store as Truvia and Stevia (and sugar). Here is a link to their website: http://www.idealsweet.com/
    I emailed them. They sent me coupons and free samples.
  • Thank you all very much. Guess this helped more people then just me. I preferred the Stevia flavor to Truvia anyway. I also bought my Stevia "in the raw" luckily. Thanks gal's.

Guess I bought that 8$ container of Truvia for nothing:grumble: , lol, oh well! :laugh: I'd rather be educated!
  • I've tried both. I didn't care for the after taste!

I use IDEAL NO CALORIE SWEETENER. No after taste at all. It measures just like sugar. And it is made with xylitol, which is supposed to be good for your teeth. I use it mostly in coffee and iced tea. It's not an artificial sweetener. It's contains 99% natural ingredients. You can find it in the same section of your grocery store as Truvia and Stevia (and sugar). Here is a link to their website: http://www.idealsweet.com/

Hmm I'll have to pick some up from the store next time, thanks!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member

Be careful with sweeteners like Ideal - it's made of Xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol. If you consume too much of it (the threshold varies by person and depending on which sugar alcohol you're using) it can cause temporary gastrointestinal problems (bloating, diarrhea, etc.). Some people make the mistake of eating a bunch of hard candies, for example, made with this type of sweetener, and find themself running to the bathroom frequently until it gets through their system. If you don't use too much of it, it shouldn't be a problem, but just thought I'd throw that warning out there.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    I did some research on Truvia and it is made with Erythritol . I tried some of the commercial products after having used stevia and didn't like the taste, something was funky about it. I'm glad I avoided anything w/Erythritol in it. Anything ending in "tol" listed as a sweetner is a sugar alchahol. It can cause irritible bowel syndrome, bloating, gas, cramps, shoulder and neck pain, dizzyness, headaches, migrane.

someone else had severe reaction because they were alergic to mold as am I. Possility for Anaphalactic reaction in that situation. I'm very glad I didn't like the taste and therefore avoided it like the plague. Truvia is made by Coca Cola, and Purvia is from Pepsi-Co. Both have Erythritol.

Stevia however is great!
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member

Be careful with sweeteners like Ideal - it's made of Xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol. If you consume too much of it (the threshold varies by person and depending on which sugar alcohol you're using) it can cause temporary gastrointestinal problems (bloating, diarrhea, etc.). Some people make the mistake of eating a bunch of hard candies, for example, made with this type of sweetener, and find themself running to the bathroom frequently until it gets through their system. If you don't use too much of it, it shouldn't be a problem, but just thought I'd throw that warning out there.

Lived & learned. ;)
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member

Lived & learned. ;)

I would say I use a lot. About 6-8 cups of coffee a day. And perhaps 2-4 glasses of iced tea. I have NEVER had an issue with using this product .
This discussion has been closed.