Help. I don't know what heart monitor to get

Options
I want to purchase a HRM but I'm so confused as to what onet to get. Also is it a big thing if it doesn't sync to MFP? I notice some do and some don't. I don't want to spend more then $100.

Replies

• Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar heart rate monitor. I don't think it can be synced with MFP but it does give me the number of calories that I burn.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I use a timex one. It doesn't sync to MFP either but also like previous poster gives me calories burned
  • Eli_Xx
    Eli_Xx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Polar one. Its 70 on amazon.
  • kathleenbritting
    Options
    I'm using the fit bit one. It's $99 and syncs to MFP. Doesn't measure heart rate, but gives you steps walked, calories burned, stairs climbed, sleeping efficiency and when you are very active. For specific activities I browse the MFP exercises.
  • Cherrie099
    Cherrie099 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I see from this and other threads that most people pick the polar. Now what is the differences of them. The polar FT4, FT7, FT 17, FT40 etc..?
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've got the FT4 and I think it's the base model (not a lot of frills!). It works well for what I need. It doesn't GPS your runs or sync with the computer, but it shows your heart rate, calorie burn, time, etc. I input my calories burned into MFP at the end of my workout. No frills = cheaper!

It's also much smaller than a Garmin or the fancier FT models, I wear the watch on the weekends even when I'm not wearing the HR strap. :)
  • Cherrie099
    Options
    Does anyone else have a polar and what type ie it?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT 4 as well. Unless you are an athlete and need a lot of bells and whistles it gives you all the information that you need.

Just a note: A FitBit is not a HRM, it's a fancy pedometer that is only mildly accurate for calorie burn.
  • Cherrie099
    Options
    Thx I was looking @ the fit bit. I'm glad you told me that. Ok so I guess I'm gonna go with the polar. Now what is the difference between them. I guess the more expensive, the more bells & whistles ????
  • rhapsodygirl
    Options
    I have a PolarFT7 and I love it! I know you're wondering what the differences are, I don't really know. My husband has one also, we wear the chest strap when we do our workouts. It's so comfortable that you forget you're wearing it. If you do get a Polar, you won't be disappointed.
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit one as it tells me my TDEE according to each individual day. It gives calories burned, steps, distance, stairs. It works well with running. I wear it every single day. The only downside is that it doesnt calculate calories burnt from exercise like strength training, fitness classes etc - im getting a polar ft40 for my birthday this month so using the two together im hoping for some good results!
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 I actually got it for $60 on Amazon. It's basic, it tracks you heart rate and your calories burned. I reallllllly love it!
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. It does everything I want it to, i.e. tells me how many calories I've burnt in an exercise session. I just then input the calorie burn into MFP, simple.

I was also super-pleased I can wear it whilst swimming! And it still works! Bonus!

I have the pink version, which I totally didn't think would be 'me' as I'm not very girly, but it's like my guilty pleasure now and I adore it.

Enjoy!
  • Jennyd1314
    Jennyd1314 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I.'ve got the ft60 (polar) love it!
  • Cherrie099
    Options
    Thank you all
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I settled on the Polar FT4 and I'm really happy with it. Polar got a lot of good reviews both here and elsewhere on the web. If I remember right, the FT7 gave you connectivity with the Polar site that I wasn't interested in so it wasn't worth the extra money for me; it doesn't sync with MFP but that wasn't a concern for me either. Previous models of the FT models didn't allow the user to change the batteries, but that's since been changed - I changed mine a few months ago with no problems. I've gone swimming with my FT4 with no problems, you just have to be careful not to push any button under water. The chest strap is very comfortable and I don't even notice it, and the "watch" piece is easy to set up and use.

But the Polar HRM's are only for steady-state cardio and don't work well unless your HR is raised, so it won't work well for weight lifting or for use all day.

I've been looking fat Fitbit to get a better idea of my TDEE an the bonus of the sleep monitor. They're both just glorified pedometers with a few additional features but I'm not sure how accurate they would be for calorie-burn since there's no chest strap. I've kinda decided on either the Fitbit One or the Flex but I haven't purchased one yet. You wear them all day and they both do the same thing, but you wear the Flex on your wrist and the One is more like a classic pedometer that you'd wear on your waistband or on your bra.

I found my Polar FT4 online for about $65 and you can find deals on them sometimes. The Fitbits run about $100 and I haven't seen any difference in pricing between retailers or online.

Gadgets can be really motivating - Have fun!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My husband gave me a Polar FT7. Love it! It doesn't link to MFP but it does link to polarfitness online, you can set up a training goal and track it with your polar. Get a HRM that counts calories and gives you limits. Awesome! Have fun with it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't care about heart rate, but do care about steps and calories. I got a fitbit zip. Synchs with MFP. $69 full price (cheaper if you're lucky).
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and a Fitbit zip, I love them both. I lve the hrm b/c I can get an accurate reading on calories burned. It's easy to use and I don't notice the chest strap. I read a lot of amazon reviews b4 purchasing. I love my Fitbit be ause it makes me conscious of how much/little I am moving. For example I lost my Fitbit a few weeks ago and while waiting for my free replacement (great customer service) I did some exercise but not as much as wheni have be ause I want to beat 12k steps a day and with in I know where I am at.
    If u want something for calorie burn I would go with a hrm and maybe later on get a Fitbit. Either way you won't be disappointed
  • Cherrie099
    Options
    Thx for all the great replies. I think I got a better idea of what I want. I think I'm gonna go with the polar FT 7 or FT40. then later get a fitbit flex.