Quick Protein

bbygrl5
bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all! So when I need to quickly up my protein, what's a quick high protein snack that I can grab without cooking?? I usually eat eggs, but I'm talking about when I'm running late and just want to grab something quick. I can't think of that many things besides supplements and protein bars and I really don't want to go that route. Ideas?? I'm drawing a blank...

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    I rely on Kashi Go Lean Original...I put a serving in a baggie and munch as I go. Kinda feel like a little kid with a baggie of Cheerios to keep me quiet!
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    I usually grab a handful of almonds, or a cup of cottage cheese, or my favorite is a chocolate protein shake with peanut butter.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    deli meat (watch sodium), cheese, milk, kashi bars, greek yogurt (dannon tastes the best from what I've found available here in Utah)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Cheese - like low fat string cheese; peanut butter on an apple or a brown rice cake; yogurt; low carb tortilla wrap with cut up chicken breast (usually from the night before - I cook extra) with salsa. Tuna or canned chicken breast in a wrap (or Oroweat/Arnold sandwich thin) is good too! Oh - hummus with cut carrots or other veggies. I am a protein girl - if I think of more I'll add later.
  • I love natural almonds, they are packed with protien 7 grams for 1/2 cup.. and they store easy in your pocket or in a little baggie. I took the nutrition facts from livestrong.com.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1/4 cup / 30g

Amount per Serving
    Calories 170 Calories from Fat 135
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15g 23%
    Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 7g 14%
    Vitamin A0%
    Vitamin C0%
    Calcium8%
    Iron6%
    Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 79.4% Carbs 11.8%
    Protein 16.5%
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Peanut butter on a rice cake or tortilla, I know it sounds funny but it works for quick!:laugh:
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Thanks everyone! ...definitely coming back here for reference. Great ideas!

@ArchyJill: your Cheerio reference is funny, lol. I've tried a few Kashi products that I like. I didn't know they made anything focused on protein. I'm definitely looking into this. :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Kashi is awesome for making protein-rich munchies! The golean and berry crunch are my fave cereals, and their granola bars are great too. My favorite one is honey almond flax. Doesn't sound really appealing, but is terrific in itself, and absolutely amazing with some peanut butter spread over it!
    They also do protein bars, the GoLean Rolls & GoLean Crunchy

http://www.kashi.com/products/category/Snack Bars
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    I keep boiled eggs in the fridge for quick protein snacks... Just watch out for the fat content, or just don't eat the yello. Also canned meats, just watch the sodium content.
  • I make a breakfast dish with 3 cups of egg whites, 2 cups of 2% cheese (of your choice) and 3 cups of broccoli plus salt and pepper to taste; bake it for 30 minutes at 350. Once it’s cool, cut it into squares and keep them in zip locks in the fridge. For a quick breakfast I can throw one in the microwave, but I also carry them to work for lunch or a quick snack.
  • I bake up a batch of skinless chicken legs marinated in buffalo wing sauce... spicy and yummy even when cold. Easy to grab!
  • You could try making your own protein bars. Mix together natural peanut butter, quick cook oats, almond slivers, whey powder, dried cherries or dried cranberries, a bit of flax seed, etc up then spread out on a jelly roll pan. Cool in the fridge until they're easy to cut. Wrap the individual bars in a bit of plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Pull one out for noms when you need a protein treat.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    greek yogurtprotein bar/protein shake
This discussion has been closed.