Workout routine at the gym

Options
Right now I go to the gym after work every day, and I usually warm up on the treadmill or bike for 5 minutes, then I move to the weight machines for either upper body or lower body, depending on the day. I do strength for about 20-30 minutes, and then I either do the C25k on the treadmill for 40 minutes or I go on the elliptical for 30-40 minutes. I have no clue if this is a good routine to stick with or if I should be doing something totally different. Any advice? I don't like to do free weights since I would have no idea what I was doing or where I should start, but is there a huge different between free weights and weight machines?

Also, I've heard that I should incorporate HIIT 2-3 times a week, but I'm not sure how long each HIIT workout should be, and is it okay to just do that at home?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights, try to keep your cardio light that day or just alternate doing cardio and weight training on different days. As for HIIT cardio, you should be exhausted and gasping for breath after about 20 minutes. The whole idea of HIIT is to push your body to the limit so it will be a much shorter work out then you are accustomed to. I would also recommend starting a weight lifting program such as starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 to give some structure to your resistance training. Avoid machines and stay in the free weight area for the majority of your lifting routine.
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but can I ask why I should avoid machines and focus on free weights?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    When you use the free weights you are forced to activate your core and also use a lot of smaller stabilizing muscles that often don't get used when you are doing exercises on a machine. Also compound lifts, such as squats and deadlifts, burn a lot more calories because they are using many muscles at once. On a machine you are only isolating one or two at a time. Some machines are ok. On leg day I will use a machine for quad extensions or the leg press. But the majority should be focused on free weights if you want faster results.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty reasonable... Warm-up, weights, cardio. Every day this might be a lot, but there are so many factors it's hard to say for sure. If you feel good and your body feels strong, you're probably fine.

Though, there are some who say that if you can do all that ever day, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. Just somethign to think about.
  • BGoodz22
    BGoodz22 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but can I ask why I should avoid machines and focus on free weights?

weight machines isolate too much and put you at higher risk of injury.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Free weights, especially if you do the bigger compound lifts, will hit more muscle groups with a single lift. You'll strengthen the target muscle groups, but also all the stabilizing muscles... and that's the big benefit to free weights and compound lifts.

There's nothing wrong with machines though, if that's your preference or all you have access to.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    When using the free weights you are using your bigger muscles, therefore going to burn more calories. The bigger the muscle you are using the more calories you will burn. Also, switch up your routine, if you continue to do the same workouts, your body will get used to it and you will see no change, you need to shock your body. As far as the HIIT program on the treadmill you should run fast and hard for 3 minutes, walk for 30 sec, run hard and fast for 4 minutes, rest 45 sec, 5 minutes hard rest for 1 minute. The whole purpose for HIIT is to get your heart rate up in intervals and take short breaks. Good luck to you! :wink:
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!! I think I'll try and find someone that can show me the ropes of free weights since it sounds like that's my best bet!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    When using the free weights you are using your bigger muscles, therefore going to burn more calories. The bigger the muscle you are using the more calories you will burn. Also, switch up your routine, if you continue to do the same workouts, your body will get used to it and you will see no change, you need to shock your body. As far as the HIIT program on the treadmill you should run fast and hard for 3 minutes, walk for 30 sec, run hard and fast for 4 minutes, rest 45 sec, 5 minutes hard rest for 1 minute. The whole purpose for HIIT is to get your heart rate up in intervals and take short breaks. Good luck to you! :wink:

I disagree with pretty much all of this.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt --

Can you give some advice that you do agree with?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    jacksonpt --

Can you give some advice that you do agree with?

I have. Are you looking for something specific?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have. Are you looking for something specific?

Found what you said after I commented.