Shin Splints!

Options
A friend of mine got me hooked on running a few years back. I did a couple of 5Ks and was looking forward to trying for longer distances. But, I kept developing shin splints and that really put a damper on my runs. Now I haven't worked out in awhile. I went for a 3 mile walk yesterday and I wake up this morning with that familiar pain. Does anyone else suffer from these? How do you prevent them? I don't have any workout equipment at home. And I don't have anyone that can watch my son so I can go workout at the gym. Getting outside with the stroller and going for a walk/run is really the best way for me to burn some calories. I don't want these dang shin splints to ruin that for me again!

Replies

• AshCharlwood
    AshCharlwood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Shin splints can be easy to deal with.

First things first are your shoes still cushioning you? Remember shoes break down and not enough cushioning = pain
    Doing calf raises (hanging on the edge of a step with your toes and lifting and lowering your body) will help.
    Don't increase your distance too quickly or start going up big hills too soon.
    I found that compression calf guards got me back out running sooner than when I've had shin splints before.

Don't give up, a bit of strength work will get you running without pain.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I suffer from shin splints as well and have found that stretching out after my runs is helpful.

*So some toe raises, find a step (stairs, curb,etc) face so that you look to be stepping down, move your heal to the edge of the step and drop your toes, then raise them, continue for 30 seconds or so each set. If you have to hold on to something that is OK.
    *Also I was told to do toe taps, turn your foot out and tap the ground as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then turn your toe in and tap the ground for 30 seconds as fast as you can. Do this with both feet.
    *And another thing you can do to work the muscle around the shin, is raise your leg in front of you and write the alphabet with your foot, this helps the muscles in your leg and your ankle.

These have helped me a great deal, and I have found that if you can steal sway a 30 minute soak in a hot bath with Epsom salts that helps a great deal as well!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oh, they are awful! When you have them hurting, alternate ice and heat and take ibuprofen. To prevent them, wear good shoes (actually go have someone fit you for running shoes- I did this and learned a lot about why my knees had problems because I am an over-pronator, not sure about that spelling). Try to run on soft surfaces not concrete. Always stretch before and after.
  • kalison83
    kalison83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I went to get fitted for running shoes previously, but I don't think he really knew what he was doing. I'll have to give it another shot. And I will get started on the strengthening exercises today! I think part of my problem is I get excited and push myself too far too fast.

Thanks again everyone! :)