MFP Users Who Have Lost A Lot Of Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Learning that it takes self discipline to make sustainable life changes.

Motivation is fine to get started, but it's not sustainable.

I just wanted to say that this is possibly the best and most realistic piece of information I have read here.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There really is no secret. For me, it boiled down to consistency and a deep seeded desire to actually change. You've got to be ready to completely transform your life. It's not just about exercise and food intake, either. Your perspective and attitude need to follow. It has become an all encompassing journey of self discovery for me.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I also think that It became easier when i was less concerned with the number on the scale.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    There's no real secret, I just did it. Though once I started logging regularly on MFP (almost at a year) it seemed to help me focus more and keep my eyes on the prize (size 8).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    No secret here either. Hard work. I have no idea what "clicked" this time vs. the countless other times I've tried. And now, I'm so close to goal, and so far away at the same time. It'll likely take until next May for me to lose my paltry last 15 to 20 lbs. Frustrating. But, if there's one thing I've learned...I took one weekend off, ate way too much...gained 5 lbs. Mental note...I will have to track for the rest of my life or I will gain all the weight back.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You have to change the way you think about food. To me, it's a game to get as much nutritional bang for my calorie buck as possible. I'm usually surprised at how many calories I have left over for an evening snack!

Also -- LOGGING! Like so many others here, I have MFP on my PC at home, at the office, on my phone, on my tablet; there is never an excuse not to log my meals. It makes all the difference in the world to see what you're actually putting into your body.

Plus -- you have to want to be fit more than you want to overeat. Nothing tastes as good as being thin!

I've lost a third of my body weight, and I did it the healthy way with diet and exercise. There is no magic bullet, pill, potion, incantation, machine, article of clothing, or anything else that will do the work for you. You can't do it for your lover, your mother, your dog. . . .You do it for yourself, because YOU want it.
  • keg619
    keg619 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have been logging for about 670 consecutive days. The most I have lost during this nearly two year long journey is 90 pounds, and even with the year that I was at a plateau as well as the few months I gained back 25 pounds, I made myself log in. I knew that I had to learn to deal with life struggles and still keep myself accountable. Now I am back to losing weight, while eating more calories. I tell myself that I can't give up trying.

Now I am at 70 lost, looking forward to losing 100, and at this point I have 100 left to lose.

I go through days where I think it will be impossible to lose the weight and be healthy, in which I feel like I want to eat whatever I want without consequences. On those days I have to take a step back and remind myself to take it one meal at a time.

*Success is not a race, be patient.*
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    been on mfp for two years, this month actually! i should post something now that i am thinking about it!

anyway, the only peice of advice i have is "just keep logging". It's really that simple. :)
  • nack49
    nack49 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found staying under my sugar and carbs intake daily, and exercising at least 40 minutes daily by using MPF as a guide along with fit bit. has created a method of sucsess for me.
    I haven't been this thin since 1995 .So now it's my lifestyle. Hard work and smile while you do it..
    Good luck ...:glasses:
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    As many others have stated, logging everything is very helpful. I know others who use this app and are not being truthful or consistent. They then ask me why they aren't losing weight. Could it be the deep fried Twinkies? Me thinks yes
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As many others have stated, logging everything is very helpful. I know others who use this app and are not being truthful or consistent. They then ask me why they aren't losing weight. Could it be the deep fried Twinkies? Me thinks yes

I haven't had any deep fried Twinkies yet, but I probably will in September. I had some deep fried Oreos a week or two ago.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options

I haven't had any deep fried Twinkies yet, but I probably will in September. I had some deep fried Oreos a week or two ago.
    I'd kill for a deep fried Twinkie right now!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You have to decide that this is something you are going to do for the remainder of your life. If your understanding is that this entire process will be in any way temporary, you will fail hard.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    just keep swimming......

seriously, there's no magic, other than consistency. Keep a deficit, keep exercising, even when there are times you do more/do less, just keep in mind that you are the kind of person who exercises.

Keep on coming back to the plan even when you mess it up. Last night I was feeling sorry for myself and emotional. I overate by 700 calories. My plan to "deal with this"? I'm gonna hit my calories today. I'm gonna exercise for about 300 calories' worth today and on Thursday and I'm going to keep in mind that I already ate those calores on Monday. I'm gonna keep on having way more days where I hit my numbers than days when I go over. And over time, that will permanently keep me from the unhealthy state I used to be in.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sustainable lifestyle is sustainable
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My days say about 10-15 but I've been logging on MFP since 2011. I liked what lucky leprechaun said...." Just keep swimming...." I was thinking more like Yoda -"There is no try"

It's just about making the decision that that's what you're going to do. It's a tool that will help you get to your goal.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I'd kill for a deep fried Twinkie right now!

I've never done the deep fried candy thing. It sounds a bit gross to me but something I must try in my lifetime. I have logged almost every day for a year. At first i did it because I felt like I had to and I had time because I was sick. It's just habit now.
  • Stef2752
    Stef2752 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know you said people who have lost a lot of weight and logged over 500 days. That's not me...YET, but I thought I would share anyways. :happy: I've been logging since April and have lost 28 pounds so far (some before MFP). I have had more success since using MFP than I have EVER had in the past with any other weight loss quest. I'm losing at a slower pace than many, but instead of feeling like I'm dieting, I have simply changed my eating and fitness habits. I feel very confident that this is a new way of life for me and that I can maintain it permanently. Why it works for me...I pre-log for the day in the morning. That way it keeps my on track with my eating throughout the day, and I have it done and don't have to keep logging all day long. Sometimes I change my mind and eat something different that what I planned, so I make sure to update any changes. I have never paid a lot of attention to my macros, just calories, until recently. Now that I am good at logging, and losing consistently, I have made it like a game to stay within my macros. I am currently trying to keep my carbs around 75 g per day this week, and it's very satisfying when I see that I have accomplished that. Without MFP it would be very difficult to keep track of my carbs. Oh, and also, I love that this amazing site and app are FREE!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Obsessive compulsive! I can't live with the guilt if I don't log my food... also, without daily logging I am a bit concerned I would under (or over) eat and destroy all my hard work.