Working Out Barefoot?

Options
I always work out barefoot when I'm in my house. I think it is silly to wear shoes inside the house for one, and for two, I love working my stabilizer muscles in my feet and ankles. :) (I am a front to mid striker)

When I go for walk/jogs outside I wear very minimalist shoes. Right now I have some Merrell's.. I forget if they are the Pace Glove or the Trail Glove, either way, they are awesome. But I am hoping to one day get to a point that I can go barefoot.

Anybody else like working out without shoes? How is it going for you?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I lift barefoot (well, in socks) at the gym.

I don't run barefoot though, I'm not really in to that whole movement. I wear the lightest weight shoes I can that have the pronation support I need.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I lift in very cute knee highs at home

And wear minimalist New Balance for trail/road running

Can lift with no shoes but will not run without
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I lift barefoot and don't run at all....so there you have it.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Let me see your feet.
    :blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Let me see your feet.
    :blushing: :flowerforyou:
    1cfa2373-aeca-4a23-b12e-fa2877b374e2_zps9e37b238.jpg
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I workout in vibrams or barefoot. Run in vibrams, merril gloves or Innov-8 shoes.
  • theberard
    theberard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wear the Vibram Five Fingers Sprint minimalist shoes when doing HIIT classes at the gym, which include using free weights. I also wear them hiking. Love 'em!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I lift and run in my Vibram FiveFingers
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I kick my shoes off at the gym when I lift; I get weird looks. lol, and put them back on when I walk to cool down after my lifts. :)
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just generally prefer to be barefoot whenever possible. I have probably half a dozen pairs of barefoot/minimalist shoes (for both working out and daily wear) and I lift barefoot in my basement.

I really don't get how people run with traditional shoes on - it looks and feels like running with a pair of bricks on your feet to me. I really can't do it - I never got anywhere with my running until I tried minimalist shoes.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I work out at home I generally don't wear shoes. When I work out at the boyfriend's flat, though, I have to because I tend to sweat a lot when I work out and he has tile floors and I'll wind up slipping and/or with blisters.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love working out barefoot in my house. I do wear shoes when doing any plyo/jumping, or if I am outside. I used to run in minimalist shoes, but I transitioned too fast and really hurt my Achilles - it was really bad and kept me from running for years. :( So now I run in regular shoes again.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    barefoot whenever possible and vibram's when ever I am in public
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Weight lift barefoot at home....no gym use.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    vibrams

vibram.jpg
  • lionellesanders
    lionellesanders Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    At home I always working out barefoot. In the gym or outside I put shoes on. But once I had to walk home 2km barefoot.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training in shoes that emulate barefoot movements at home. I would do it completely barefoot (to ensure maximum stabilizer activation), but I find that I need the rubber sole for traction reasons. Bare feet or socks on my flooring and you WILL slip. For everything else, I wear New Balance MX871 Cross Trainers. My preferred forms of cardio are relatively high impact (lots of plyo type work, as well as jump rope), and doing them without ample cushioning for your feet on concrete or hard flooring will wreck your knees and ankles.

That being said, I'm a shoe guy. I typically don't take my shoes off until I'm getting ready for bed and I would wear them to bed if I could, mainly because I like the feeling of shoe laces tied very very tightly. Without it my feet are rather uncomfortable. Also, I hate the feeling of bare skin exposed. I like having as much of me covered as possible, which is why I don't own any shorts, only long pants.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I tried going barefoot to workout at home.... specifically doing 30 Day Shred.... and all those jumping jacks... my calfs were killing me... I felt like I was doing it wrong ?? which seemed stupid - I've been doing jumping jacks since public school....

so I put my shoes back on , and didn't have any calf pains.....

how do you that kinda stuff in your bare feet? jumping jacks? or skipping? anything like that? Seriously
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I do my walks in my fila skeletoes-would never go barefoot because i go off the paved trail sometimes and that would hurt lol. Love my skeletoes though :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training in shoes that emulate barefoot movements at home. I would do it completely barefoot (to ensure maximum stabilizer activation), but I find that I need the rubber sole for traction reasons. Bare feet or socks on my flooring and you WILL slip. For everything else, I wear New Balance MX871 Cross Trainers. My preferred forms of cardio are relatively high impact (lots of plyo type work, as well as jump rope), and doing them without ample cushioning for your feet on concrete or hard flooring will wreck your knees and ankles.

That being said, I'm a shoe guy. I typically don't take my shoes off until I'm getting ready for bed and I would wear them to bed if I could, mainly because I like the feeling of shoe laces tied very very tightly. Without it my feet are rather uncomfortable. Also, I hate the feeling of bare skin exposed. I like having as much of me covered as possible, which is why I don't own any shorts, only long pants.

Not that it matters since you have found ways to cope, but it sounds like you have some sensory processing issues. You are over sensitive on your feet, and that is why you like having shoes on. Having the laces tied snugly makes you feel secure.