MFP calories or BMR calories?

Options
I'm new here so I apologize if this has been covered.

When I put my stats into MFP to lose 1.5 pounds per week it gives me an estimate of 1,600 calories per day.

When I put my stats into this BMR calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#mostaccuratecaloriecalculator I'm given 1,793 calories or 1,900 calories, depending on the calculation method.

I guess I'm trying to determine which is better to use? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    They are different weight loss methods. If you don't want to try to count exercise calories, go with the TDEE (higher value) and don't log exercise as calorie burn. If you want to log exercise, go with the MFP (lower value), log calorie burns, and eat those back.
  • neilshane
    neilshane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They are different weight loss methods. If you don't want to try to count exercise calories, go with the TDEE (higher value) and don't log exercise as calorie burn. If you want to log exercise, go with the MFP (lower value), log calorie burns, and eat those back.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
  • mcgillks
    Options
    I go by my TDEE and eat back my calories from workouts. When I was setting up my account a friend who is a personal trainer highly suggested doing this.