Wake up hungry!

Options
2»

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    No matter what or when I eat in the evenings, I ALWAYS wake up hungry! Ive tried to drink a full glass of water before bed and as soon as I wake up, but I still feel hungry! Any suggestions?

Eat breakfast.

*mind blown*
  • water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast? Drink coffee? I wake up hungry in the mornings, but that hunger is gone after about an hour. I'm not a fan of breakfast, so I'll normally just drink coffee or tea.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    How many calories total are you consuming in a day? I mean, eating at 8pm and waking up at 4am is still eight hours since the last time you fed your body, so the hunger still doesn't seem unusual to me. It could just be that now that you aren't overeating you don't have a carryover feeling of fullness that stays with you more throughout the day in general. So now you're just feeling a normal morning hunger that had been absent due to a surplus of calories previously.

Or you may have too large of a deficit and your body feels extra hungry after that eight hours because it's not getting enough fuel in general. So maybe do a quick re-evaluation of that aspect of it and see if maybe upping your calories overall make it so you don't wake up quite so ravenous. (Though, being some level of hungry in the morning is still to be expected).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are pretty portable. As ar baked eggs.

You could make a breakfast sandwich pretty quickly too. I get those Arnold sandwich thins (deli rounds), quickly fry up a couple eggs over medium, slap on a couple thin slice of ham and a slice of cheese and voila! Nice filling breakfast.

I'm also going to be experimenting with making breakfast casserole "muffins" soon. Same stuff you'd put in a breakfast casserole - eggs, meat, cheese, veggies - only poured into a muffin tin instead of a baking dish. I'm thinking those would be pretty easy to eat on the go.

And personally, I don't mind eating my oatmeal cold. I precook 6 servings in the crockpot on the weekend then dole out a portion each day and usually eat it cold at my desk with some almonds thrown in. Yum!

ETA: Or think outside the box. Just because it's morning doesn't mean you have to have oatmeal or eggs. Have a tuna sandwich if you want or leftover lasagna. It doesn't really matter...
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can make hard boiled eggs and keep them in the refrigerator to grab in the morning. Fruits, nuts, and bars are easy to grab and snack on while youre doing other things. If you want some more filling options I would suggest smoothies, oatmeal, or eggs. Instant oatmeal only takes 1 min in the microwave. You can buy the pre-portioned packs or potion it out yourself into zip lock bags. You could easily bring the pack and bowl to work to make really quickly, or if you have enough time eat it before you leave. You can also make smoothies in the morning. I like to measure out my ingredients (berries, banana, greens, etc) the night before and then put them into a tupperware in the freezer that way in the morning I can just throw the contents of the container into the blender, add some water and maybe some protein powder, and blend! I have a Magic Bullet so it makes the smoothies in a cup that I can bring and sip out of on my commute. I also like to make eggs if I am particularly hungry. At night I will scramble a couple eggs and then add in whatever else I want (spinach, mushroom, tomatoe, garlic, etc) and put it in the refrigerator. In the morning I will put the mixture into a greased bowl and microwave it for a minute or so, tada eggs in minutes!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I underate yesterday but I made sure to have a bowl of cereal before bed so I wouldn't wake up starving. I'm concerned for your health if you think a glass of water before bed will help with hunger 6 or 8 hours later.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Then eat something!

I have had the problem of waking up more tired than I should've given the circumstances and the solution for me has been upping my carbs at the end of the day.
  • speach0002
    speach0002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Some great ideas (and some smart ones too), I think im going to start trying some smoothie/shakes. I think I'm going to try to eat more carbs as dinner and see if that may help. Since I usually eat so late, Ive tried to have a lighter dinner so that I'm not going to bed with so much on my stomach. I am usually right on target or a little over with my calories per day. and I think my body is still adjusting to the increase in physical activity since up til now the only physical activity I really had was at work (granted, I walk an entire 12.5 hr shift). I Am not starving myself by substituting water, I have heard that a lot of times when you feel hungry you are really thirsty, which is more often than not, my case, since I have noticed, that I forget to drink while at work! I am also searching for some healthy, quick snacking alternatives to take along with me at work that I can stick in my pocket or what not. Again, Thanks for the helpful replies and for the record, I know that when your hungry you should eat, so I don't need the comments that suggest to 'just eat something'. I am looking for suggestions on filling foods in the evening or quick, on-the-go food for the mornings.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks! Some great ideas (and some smart ones too), I think im going to start trying some smoothie/shakes. I think I'm going to try to eat more carbs as dinner and see if that may help. Since I usually eat so late, Ive tried to have a lighter dinner so that I'm not going to bed with so much on my stomach. I am usually right on target or a little over with my calories per day. and I think my body is still adjusting to the increase in physical activity since up til now the only physical activity I really had was at work (granted, I walk an entire 12.5 hr shift). I Am not starving myself by substituting water, I have heard that a lot of times when you feel hungry you are really thirsty, which is more often than not, my case, since I have noticed, that I forget to drink while at work! I am also searching for some healthy, quick snacking alternatives to take along with me at work that I can stick in my pocket or what not. Again, Thanks for the helpful replies and for the record, I know that when your hungry you should eat, so I don't need the comments that suggest to 'just eat something'. I am looking for suggestions on filling foods in the evening or quick, on-the-go food for the mornings.

Carbs burn quicker and will make you hungry faster. If anything load up on protein at night. Also, you can eat as much as you want right before bed, it won't effect weight loss. Also, how many calories do you eat? Do you eat back your exercise calories? And is your account set at more than 1 lb per week?
  • speach0002
    speach0002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Around 1200/day. But I had this feeling before I started tracking my calories. And yes i usually eat my burned calories right back!
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to eat breakfast. And I used to be 350 lbs. *lol* This is not a good option, is all I'm saying! :)

Quick brekkie: BANANA! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!