Clothes questions

Options
Does anybody buy clothes for the size they hope to be? Did anyone do that and it actually work?

Also, I have my favorite ever black dress, and it's getting to be a little too big. The store is still selling it, but on clearance so it will be gone soon. Is it crazy to order it in a smaller size than I can wear, so that when the one I have is too big to wear I will still have the same dress that fits?

Replies

• okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    not a good idea, i think. you could blow right past the lower size or never reach it. I suggest a good tailor for the one you have, as you go down in size, get it redone.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I wouldn't do it since it may not fit right. One part may fit but another part may be too loose/snug. Maybe if I only had a few pounds to lose.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't buy my aspiration clothes more than a size out, and at some point that's just going to stop working.

If you want the dress and you think you want to stay at that smaller size, get the dress. If you plan on going significantly smaller, don't get the dress.

Did I just see that you plan on losing 110 pounds? If you do this right, you're not going to be able to wear it at all and you're going to have to find yourself a new favorite dress.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You guys are all probably right. Thanks!

I work with kids, and the dress is a simple, cotton, Old Navy dress that isn't cut super low, is long enough that I can wear shorts underneath without anyone noticing (until the kids and I start doing yoga or rolling on the grass, in which case I'm glad people are seeing the shorts and not undies) and is casual enough that I don't worry about spilling on it or getting paint on it or anything.

I'm sure as I keep losing weight I'll find different dresses that fit the bill.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans in kind of a dream size. Hopefully I'll get there.... or pass it. Mine were pretty cheap so I really won't be heartbroken if I never get to wear them. I say if it fits comfortably into your budget and it will motivate you- go for it :) If its a choice between the dress and your electric bill, keep your lights on ;)
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I buy smaller sized clothes if I find them cheap enough. I knew that I was never going back to my old lifestyle so they would eventually fit & if they're a really good deal why not? :) I would totally get the dress. If its clearance at old navy it probably won't break the bank. Use it as motivation :)
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Buy it!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Have a top displayed in my closet as we speak that I bought weekend before last. I figure in another 10 pounds I'm in it. If course, I bought it on clearance...
  • _meesh_
    _meesh_ Posts: 73
    Options
    I have a leather skirt I found at a resale store, I really want to be able to wear it. I bought it years ago, and it's nice and soft and I hope that one day it'll fit. If it doesn't, at least it was only $5.
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a few pieces with tags in the closet and soon enough I will be able to wear them at GW though.I also have some boxes with clothing I used to fit into before I gained weight. I never gave them away as they are timeless pieces and well, I will wear them again.

Right now I am not buying anything unless it is $5 because whatever I buy even 1 size smaller, it usually hangs off me in 1-2 months.

Everyone is different, do whatever makes you happy. It's not a bad idea to have 1 piece that is not too expensive waiting:) and giving you motivation.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    What I'm doing right now is getting the size that is a little tight because I'm still in the process of losing weight, and that way I can wear the item for a little longer before it gets too big.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't, but then again I have a lot of clothes from when I was thin and as such won't need to consider buying clothing until those start getting too big.
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have done that and mainly when it is just to die for and priced right :)
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bought a bikini for my trip next month. It was on sale and I'm going to wear it.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Having a smaller size around to inspire me has the opposite effect. It's like a slap in the face every time I see it (I did hang onto a few smaller favorites), and then I go eat to comfort myself (working on that).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I bought this sexy teddy in a size small the other day at Kohl's on the clearance rack thinking it would be a goal outfit for the hubby... I tried it on last night and surprisingly it fit! :laugh:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I had some jeans that I loved, that I thought I would never wear again, and now they are too big.

The bottom of my wardrobe is full of clothes that are too big.

Just buy when you get there :smile:
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had a dress I bought when I was losing weight the first time and it fit perfect. It's gorgeous. I found it on sale and it was really expensive before. I bought it right before we were suppose to move to Japan for 3 years. Military ended up sending hubby alone. I never got to wear the dress to the Marine Ball. :(

The year after I started to gain weight and when ball time came I couldnt fit into the dress.... Ball time is coming up again this Nov and I have some ways to go to fit into it and for it to look wonderful. It's like torture.