Am I too heavy to start c25k?

Options

Replies

• bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No you can start at any time good shoes a must and take your time, just do it
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Certainly not! I started at almost 240, and now I'm 228 and running about 4-4.5 miles at a time 3x per week doing 10k training (Zen Labs c210k app). As others have said, there's nothing wrong with repeating a day or week if it's needed. Make sure to take it slow too, and get fitted for proper shoes at a running store.

There's a lot of GREAT advice, veterans, and rookies in the c25k group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

ETA: I'm 5'9" if that helps. :smile:
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    No.
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    No way are you too heavy, unless you have knee problems already. I am 235 right now and have finished C25K and moved on to C25K Forever(to build speed). Just take it slow, there are no rules, if you need to do Week 1 Day 2 several times before you move on, that's fine. It took me way more than the 8 weeks alotted, but I still did it! Your determination will get you through it!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Nah. Not too heavy at all. Now let's do the usual conflicting feedback ...

1. Go as hard as you can.
    2. listen to your body.
    3. start slowly. it's a shock to the system.
    4. listen to your body.

remember you are allowed to take a few days off if your knees/shins are telling you to take a break.

most importantly when guys like me see you running we think ...

way to go, stick with it!
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are getting such encouraging feedback.
    I'm 5'3" and started C25K when I weighed 208 pounds.
    I also teach Zumba. The impact of both the running and Zumba was hard on one of my knees I had a previous injury on.
    But with modification and the help of my chiropractor, I am back up and running!

You can do this. It isn't about speed. It is about endurance. Just keep that in mind and you will do GREAT!
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I did 3 5k's last year and ran the whole way and I was about 310 pounds. It's all about your cardiovascular conditioning and the condition of your joints. As long as you take it slowly and train, you can do it!! Good luck. :)
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    no go for it... i just hit 199 and am 5'9 and started C25K ... i am 3 days in and loving it. my knees were what i was worried about as i have tried jogging before and killed my knees. I am not having that problem. It is hard and a great challenge but i am doing it!!!
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started doing 5k's at 388 and I am now 271 and I have completed 13 5k races. I don't run the whole time and I haven't ever finished last. I say go for it!
  • Colexlovely
    Colexlovely Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are ever "too heavy" to trying anything, If you set your mind to it you can do anything you want. Just take it easy,one step at a time and don't push yourself too hard. You got this!!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I started at 215. I'm 5'4" and I have a partially reconstructed knee, a lumbar fusion and a cervical fusion. If I can do it you can certainly do it. The only problem I had was pushing myself too much in the beginning. Now it's not about speed for me, it's about controlling my breathing as the speed will come later. I'm on week 5, my 20 minute run is hopefully today if I get out of work on time or tomorrow. I crave running now.

Tell your friends to butt out if they can't be supportive. How many of them are runners?

You can do it.:wink:
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and was probably in the 220s when I started the program. I finished it a few weeks ago. I'm slow, I do 2 miles in the 30 mins, not 3. Yet.

Get fitted for shoes in a running store if you haven't already. I was feeling shin splints until I did so. I only use those shoes for the running.

I used the timed version of the program, not the distance part. Now I"m doing 30 min runs 2-3 times a week to get more endurance, then work on the speed and distance. it's slow but I've never run 2 miles before in my life :smile: And amazingly, I like it. :noway:

Do it at your own pace. I didn't always get it three times a week due to my weird work schedule. Repeat days if you need to, there's no rush.

And trade in those friends. Even my coworkers (who I'm not fond of) who run and are skinny were encouraging.

Have fun!
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    NO! I started at 5'4 and 250!!! I didn't finish it, but that's because the treadmill at my apts broke :)
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting slow, going at your own pace. I weigh 220 and am on week 3 of my pre c25k plan. I found when I started a few months ago, I couldn't do it, mostly because I was really out of shape and because my neighbourhood is all up hill therefore it put too much on my muscles and I could barely make it home. Now I go to the local high school and run their track. I started at 30 sec run/2 min walk, and slowly increased run/decreased walk by 15 seconds as I went, slowly challenging myself more each run. I am about to start the actual c25k program tonight by doing 1 min of run/1:30 of walking. fingers crossed!

Remember to do lots of stretching especially after. I get really bad shin splints because my calves and my hamstrings are really tight, but they are slowly getting better
    Good luck!
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was 6'4 337 pounds when I started. I did all 9 weeks without missing a single day, stopping once or cheating. I am now 281 pounds and will be doing my first "event" (Dirty Dash) in September. Hopefully the first of many.

One thing I'd say (that others might have)... don't worry about being fast. Start out as slow as you can run if necessary. Worry about the time more than the speed. Speed will come eventually.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Everybody starts somewhere. If you think c25k sounds like something you would enjoy doing and can stick to then go for it. You can either be your biggest fan or your biggest critic. If you choose to believe you can do it then you will.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I started c25k at 270 lbs with no previous running history. I ended C25K at 245 lbs., I now run a 5k (slowly 40ish minutes) every other day.

Just go slow, no, really slow and pace yourself during the run portions. If you can't talk, you're going to fast.

Remember this is a conditioning program, not a race. You have to run the time giving no matter the distance you cover.

Good luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm 249 pounds and run around 4 miles a day. Just remember when you start to run slow. Don't worry about speed that comes in time
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" and 191 lbs, you aren't terribly overweight. I started & completed C25K at 5'4" and 234 lbs. You can do it!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" and 191 lbs, you are terribly overweight. I started & completed C25K at 5'4" and 234 lbs. You can do it!