Fat pants forever....

Options
Here is my problem
I think I am going to be in my fat pants forever. Last night I snagged the last pair of jeans I had that fit now they have a hole right in the butt. My clothes are all either way to big or way to small. The pants that I can get on are all several sizes to big right now I am wearing 16's that I just couldn't wait to fit into and now I have to hold them up all day and those are the smallest jeans I have that I can wear. All of the rest are 8's and under ( all pre-baby clothes) and there is no way I am going from a 12 to an 8 in the next week.
I have no money to buy new pants, I checked all of the second hand stores here in town and every other woman in town must be in the same situtation I am because all I found was one hideous pair of pink jeans that might look cute on my 5 yr old daughter but not a 36 yr old woman! I am really happy with all of the weight I have lost but I officially have nothing to wear. Anybody have any ideas what I can do? I am not going to have money for a while because what I do get I have to spend to get 3 kids ready to go back to school.

Replies

• ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Do you have any skirts that you can take in? You can turn an old pair of too-big jeans into a skirt, too: http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.com/2011/10/turning-old-jeans-into-skirt.html There are tons of directions online for tailoring your own larger clothes into something that would fit.

Best of luck!
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is tough. Maybe go to a place in the community that donates clothes. Good luck.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Ask the thrift store what day they get women's clothing in. Maybe if you hit them as soon as they get in 'new' merchandise you'll have better luck.

Another suggestion is if you have friends of similar size, maybe they'd have some clothes they've been meaning to give away but still have them.

Yard sales are also a great place to get transition clothes.
  • angelgoone
    Options
    belts. Buy belts. Make belts. Use scarfs as belts. Fall into the suspenders style.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the no mans land. Not at your goal and don't want to spend money on "fit right now" cloths. I just had to bite the bullet and buy some cheap jeans at walmart instead of spending $50 on some levis. I got 3 pair that fit good enough right now and will spend the money when i reach my goal. It's good motivation.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. I say, just keep wearing those baggy pants with a belt until you can get through back-to-school and get a bit of cash to get some new pants that fit. If the goodwills, davs, second-hand shops don't have anything you like, that's about all there is to do. There will be some great sales during back-to-school as well as for summer clearance though so keep your eyes open when you're shopping for those kiddos.
    If you're crafty, put a patch on those hole-in-the-butt jeans you snagged. It'll get you through!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Do you have any skirts that you can take in? You can turn an old pair of too-big jeans into a skirt, too: http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.com/2011/10/turning-old-jeans-into-skirt.html There are tons of directions online for tailoring your own larger clothes into something that would fit.

Best of luck!

i never been a big skirt fan but this one looks really cute =)
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

i never been a big skirt fan but this one looks really cute =)

I've done this kind and it really works well, looks cute, and isn't too hard. It's a great way to re-do either too-big or ripped jeans.

http://www.trinketsinbloom.com/denim-maxi-skirt-diy/
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I had this problem the whole way down. I dealt with it by sewing. Even if you do not know how, it might be fun to learn, as alterations aren't hard at all. I bought an old machine for 25 bucks on craigslist, five yrs ago. Get you an old Kenmore from the 70's like I have. They cost next to nothing and will last for years.

I'm wearing skirts that were 14's and now are 0-2's bc I was able to just keep taking them in. Also took in my underwear for a long time, nipped shirts in at the waist, etc.

Oh, and don't bother wasting time shopping at thrift stores that do not organize their racks by size. It will take you all day to pick through. Call each thrift and ask them this. You WILL be able to find pants at one that organizes by size. If not, give skirts a chance. I wear one every day- mostly bc of the fact that skirts are easier to find at thrift shops.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ask around your friends, see if anyone is a seamstress that can take them in for you. Offer to bake cookies or something as payment and make a card? :D
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sewing has been my salvation. I go to thrift shops and buy big skirts. My favorite was a size 22 I converted it to a size 10. $3.00.