What's Your Weights w/o Routine for Calves?

Options
MinMin97
MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
I'm in the weight room at least 4 times/week, often 5. I feel clueless about how to w/o calves.....I do them holding a 40lb bar in between sets of other things, toes straight 50reps, toes out 50reps. Not sure what else to do to make gorgeous calves??

Replies

• MinMin97
    Options
    Anyone?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    your gym doesn't have a calf machine? there are two types, seated and standing. ask someone about it. if not, your gym might have a smith machine or leg press machine. position the ball of your feet on them so that you can do calf raises.

i wouldn't do 50 reps of anything tho
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    your gym doesn't have a calf machine? there are two types, seated and standing. ask someone about it. if not, your gym might have a smith machine or leg press machine. position the ball of your feet on them so that you can do calf raises.

i wouldn't do 50 reps of anything tho

^^This.

Personally, my calf workout is sprints and hill work.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Yes, one is seated, legs semi-extended.
    The other is also seated, but with the weight on top of the thighs.
    Do these constitute a complete calf workout?
  • DavPul
    Options
    Yes, one is seated, legs semi-extended.
    The other is also seated, but with the weight on top of the thighs.
    Do these constitute a complete calf workout?

along with the heavy barbell squats that should be the foundation of any body defining or strength building program, yes, they will constitute a complete calf workout. i'm assuming you mean one has your legs bent at the knee (with pad on top of thigh) and the other has your legs straight (with the weighted pad on your lower back). personally, if i'm doing calves i just use the straight leg version. but to each their own.

i also wouldn't change the angle that my feet point. neutral position (neither in nor out) should be fine.

pro-tip: calf size is primarily genetic and won't change much even with regimented training. and calf work doesn't burn many calories. training calves is fine if you choose but the bulk of your leg work should be for the upper legs. squats, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, and the like. 85% of the time on the big lifts, 10% of the time on the little lifts like calf work, and 5% of the time admiring how bad *kitten* you look in the gym mirror. selfie taking optional.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts
  • TiredOfMyself
    TiredOfMyself Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A crap load of jumping jacks, Jillian Michael's 30DS has my calves SORE!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I hit calves twice per week on my leg day.

I just do them on the leg press machine. 3 sets of 10-12 reps as heavy as I can go. I do these very last and will skip them if Im not feeling up to it after squats and deadlifts.

I also skip direct calf training on days I run bleacher drills. If you are going to be doing 50+ reps then you might as well be doing it as part of some conditioning training.

http://youtu.be/FaWR1IeDuYM
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ummmm.

it is true that the calves are kind of unique muscles and higher rep work does work better on your calves than other muscle groups, but 50 is kind of excessive.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Genetics!!!! I have awesome calves...........and never do isolation calve exercises. :bigsmile:
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

pro-tip: calf size is primarily genetic and won't change much even with regimented training. and calf work doesn't burn many calories. training calves is fine if you choose but the bulk of your leg work should be for the upper legs. squats, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, and the like. 85% of the time on the big lifts, 10% of the time on the little lifts like calf work, and 5% of the time admiring how bad *kitten* you look in the gym mirror. selfie taking optional.

^^^ This guy knows whats up!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I do power cleans. The 2nd pull does wonders for calf muscle development as well as forearms, lats, quads, and core muscles.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Thank-you! I especially appreciate the links to vids/articles, as this helps me to know things and visualize them too. I'll look into the power clean, and perhaps use the stairmonster as my "bleachers."
    Any other tips? I'll be checking back.....

btw, I love deadlifts, a favorite. But I know only one kind, not the totally straight legged one. I did them on Monday, 3 sets of 20 using 60lbs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing such high reps? if you can do 20 reps at 60lbs I bet you can handle a lot higher weight.

1-5 reps is for strength
    6-12 hypertrophy
    13+ endurance

I would recommend you read/look into Starting Strength, Stronglifts, AllPros, and Wendler and maybe give one of those programs a try. Or at least read them to get a bit more knowledge about weight training.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Pssst. A little higher for calves. Like 15-20ish for most people.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thank-you! I especially appreciate the links to vids/articles, as this helps me to know things and visualize them too. I'll look into the power clean, and perhaps use the stairmonster as my "bleachers."
    Any other tips? I'll be checking back.....

btw, I love deadlifts, a favorite. But I know only one kind, not the totally straight legged one. I did them on Monday, 3 sets of 20 using 60lbs.

20 rep sets of deadlifts!?!?!?!?! Noooooooooo! 60 total reps?! That is crazytalk.

It might seem counterintuitive, but you're going to hurt yourself that way. Up the weight, and do 5 rep sets, where you set the weight down and reset your form between each rep.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I love seated calf raises (went from 25 pounds to 80 pounds in 4 weeks) and standing calf raises. Can also isolate the calves on the leg press machine. I only do 12-15 reps with them but boost up the weights. Good luck with them.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Why are you doing such high reps? if you can do 20 reps at 60lbs I bet you can handle a lot higher weight.

1-5 reps is for strength
    6-12 hypertrophy
    13+ endurance

I would recommend you read/look into Starting Strength, Stronglifts, AllPros, and Wendler and maybe give one of those programs a try. Or at least read them to get a bit more knowledge about weight training.
    Awesome. Good to see a breakdown. I tend to highly value flexibility and form (ie, I don't end up injured). So without having read a particular book/program, this is what I have done. I am very flexible, and I don't get hurt from my deads. Good to know I can increase weight and decrease reps. And, DavPul, I need to check out barbell squats. So, this also builds calves?
  • MinMin97
    Options
    dbl post
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Question: Since this topic deals with calves. Do you HAVE to work out calves? I mean, I'm doing all other compound lifts but my calves, thanks to my Dad, already look nice and strong. If I forgo isolated calve exercises, will that be the end of the world?