I'm really about to lose it - please help!

Options
I am so done with myself right now! I feel like absolute crap, I haven't felt this bad in years. The last two years I've been doing really good, I haven't lost weight or even bodyfat, but I've felt how strong both my body and mind have become. I haven't eaten (or even craced) hardly any sweets or junk food and I've been working out at least five times a week. I've been so proud of myself! Of course I've had slipbacks, but nothing major. Not like right now!

I'm doing the 30 day shred and I was determined not to eat ANY junk at all under those 30 days, and I was doing pretty good until a couple of days ago. I made som cakes for a party and of course I had to taste the cakes during the party at night .. From that moment on it's like a rediscovered everything that is so wonderful about sweets that I forgot during my really healthy years, and now it has only gone downhills .. It's like I want to eat everything that I haven't had for so long! So these past couple of days I've had lots of ice cream, sugary foods, candy, alcohol, you name it. I even want to try an McDonald's meal again, which I haven't had in two years! I'm afraid that I've gained a lot of weight but I don't dare to step on the scale.

Soo, what to do? I know, I know, I should just get back on track, but it would really help to hear something from someone else, maybe even someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about. Anything really, please!

Replies

• TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    A setback will only derail you if you use it as an excuse to stop taking care of yourself.

There's a reason I use that as my tagline.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    a) have you tracked all you ate?
    b) face the scale otherwise you won't know what damage or how severe it is
    c) plan out a day of healhty foods to get in all those good health guidelies/requirements

Me personally I never eliminated something sweet (cakes, candy, cookies, pies, ice cream) from my weight loss efforts had some every day.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a way to incorporate all foods that you like into your eating plan so that you are less likely to feel deprived of those things and binge on them when you finally do have them.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were being unrealistic with your goals. There's no reason you can't have a bit of junk food every now and then. Too much restriction will just lead you to a binge and feeling guilty. Allow yourself little treats every once and a while, just make sure you're staying on track
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    When I had my oldest son, I had a hard time getting rid of the weight, so I started WW and went to the gym 5-6 days a week (this was 7 years ago) and I learned then never deprive yourself of anything your body wants, all in moderation. In WW they taught us that if we wanted that snickers bar, kit kat etc, get the miniatures and have just 1 of those to curb those cravings, because if you don't then you will over indulge and will feel horrible. Its all mind over matter. You can definitely get back on track, just put your mind into it and don't deprive yourself of anything you want, everything in moderation. Good luck!
  • doherty1977
    doherty1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    don't be too hard on yourself. We all have "setbacks" because we're human!! Just get yourself back on track. I just did the same thing you did. Mine was two days worth of horrifying eating.... now I'm getting myself back on track. The only one you're hurting in the end is you......
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    First of all, you will be fine.. You need to face the scale, and see what it say's. It might be good, or might be bad, either way you should face it.. We all slip up every once in a while, but move on, It's called life. The most important thing is that you learn from it. Good luck, and keep going...
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The first chapter in the book "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (and it's all small stuff)" is "Make Peace with Imperfection." That means you are human. Humans are fallible. That means we make mistakes, we stumble, from time to time.

I was "going like gangbusters" until March 29 when I had surgery to remove the loose skin from my belly. I had a hard time with recovery, and was told that the last thing I needed to do was to focus on loosing weight while trying to recover. SO - give an alcoholic (or food addict) access to a liquor (or grocery) store, and what do you think's gonna happen? I gained almost 30 pounds in 3 months. Yes, everything tasted SO GOOD, and was usually HORRIBLY BAD for me.

Yes, I fell, and fell hard. BUT I sucked it up - went and weighed in to find out where I was at and have spent the last few weeks gradually getting back on track. Last week I lost 3.4 pounds. Yesterday and today, I've been ON IT. I finally feel like I've mostly got my groove back and gotten it mostly "out of my system". It took "easing back into it" for me to get back on track. Drink the water, at least VISIT MFP on a regular basis, increase the protein, pay more attention to the pedometer, etc. etc. etc.

You can do it. Trust me, if I can - anybody can.
  • chriswhudson
    Options
    Hi my name is Chris, I will say this, you are very young and also in a time period in your life where material things matter most. I will be honest and I hope you take this this as constructive criticism. You cannot loose weight untill you gain control of your mental attitude and also have pride in who you are, not what you are. Weight loss is not a fad or a bandwagon thing to do from a emotional standpoint. Weight loss is an AGREEMENT with yourself and your SOUL, that you are DETERMINED to be different , feel different, walk different, and practice restraint (EVERYDAY). I have no doubt you can do this but you must remember, everything that comes out of your mouth shall manifest itself. You need to stop being afraid, stop looking around for someone to validate who you are. DO NOT stop eating the food you love, you must MENTALLY understand portion size. Your body wants to loose weight, your spirit wants to help you loose weight, but you MIND is the one currupting the process. If you have time exercise your *kitten* off, eat what you like in good portions and then exercise your *kitten* off. In this process you must practice mental toughness and being in control of YOU and being the boss of YOU. If the old you wants a large OREO blizzard 1000cals, the new you should say HELL NO, I'll just have the mini blizzard 300cals.If you do this I promise you that in the long run YOU will win this battle.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, get back on track.

You do not need to cut items out of your intake, unless you have a medical condition. If you haven't had any weight loss or body fat reduction in awhile, i am wondering why there is such a massive fear now?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can change about the past. What's done is done and out of your control. The factors you can change are what is happening right now and in the future. There is no use in wasting energy worrying about yesterday. The beautiful thing is that you can start again right this second. You don't have to wait until next Monday to get back on a routine.

Also, this is a lifestyle change, not just a diet. If you want to give McDonalds a try then there is nothing wrong with that as long as you prep for it. Burn the extra calories you need to eat it first. Say a McDonald's meal is 1200 calories. Burn those extra calories during the week and then revisit if you want to eat it. If you do still want to eat it than fine, you've done what was needed to be able to do it. You shouldn't completely deny yourself te things you want in life, you should just do te work you need to do to be able to enjoy them in moderation. You will then learn a big and tasty at McDonald's cost more than just 99 cents.
  • Epyhon
    Epyhon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Everyone is very accurate. Cutting everything out is extreme. Things are not so black and white. Add in foods you like, but control the portions that you consume and you will be fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Just keep practicing.

Even doctors call it their "Practice."

It's not over until you are on the other side of the dirt.

We all have to battle this - you're not alone. It's about learning moderation with your sweets. More difficult for some people than others. Learn from it and keep coming up with new strategies.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    a) have you tracked all you ate?
    b) face the scale otherwise you won't know what damage or how severe it is
    c) plan out a day of healhty foods to get in all those good health guidelies/requirements

Me personally I never eliminated something sweet (cakes, candy, cookies, pies, ice cream) from my weight loss efforts had some every day.

Fantastic advice! Keep tracking your food, good or bad - it will help you become more mindful and accountable for your bad choices. And just keep thinking about how badly it's making you feel physically - why are you punishing yourself with food?! That doesn't even make sense to me!

While I agree, there's no need to eliminate everything the OP seems like an all or nothing type of person and even the best of us have to cut out at least a few things because we have no self control. Maybe cut that stuff out for a week or two and then start reintroducting treats every few days if you can manage it. I had to get snobby about chocolate to get rid of my cravings. Once I fell in love with really good dark chocolate, the cheap generic stuff just wouldn't do. Now if I want chocolate I have to get the good stuff which is harder to find and more expensive and just thinking about that can get the craving to go away.

Either way, come up with a plan for meals for the next 1-3 weeks including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks and get to the grocery store then get cooking and prepping! Having good healthy food on hand will help you keep away from all that junk. Crave something sweet? Have a piece of fruit.
  • snufs
    snufs Posts: 78
    Options
    Thank you for all of your advices, I really appreciate it! I guess some of you are right, that I've been too hard on myself these past years and that made me go crazy all at once. The thing is that I tell myself once I begin that it doesn't matter how much I eat because I'm already eating, so why just have a little bit? But you're right, everything in moderation, so I guess I have to keep reminding myself that it DOES matter if I take the whole thing or just a piece.

Now I definitely feel more motivated to get back on it. I'll do my best!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself too much! Eat what you like in moderation, you'll be less likely to go nuts from deprivation of something you really like.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    So you ate some cake(s). Not a big deal in the big picture, if you get right back on track right now, you probably won't even see it on the scale or your body. It's just one slip, it's fine, just go right back on track. Everyone slips sometimes, no one is perfect. Sit down and make a list of all the reasons you want to lose the weight, then do some exercise and let it go, forget about it and move on. Next time you are tempted by something, sit down and read that list of reasons you want to lose weight and ask yourself "is that cake going to make me happy? is it going to taste as good as being healthy feels? how will I feel after I eat it? is it really worth it?" if you need to, write the questions and answers, and remember, out of sight means out of mind so don't keep stuff like cake sitting around
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    I would suggest finding a way to incorporate all foods that you like into your eating plan so that you are less likely to feel deprived of those things and binge on them when you finally do have them.

THIS 1000000000% However, you have to learn to have more control and have only 1 serving of something and you will stop binging.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Two things:

First, do something for at least one full day that is totally outside of your normal routine. Something that will keep your body and mind occupied with new movements and thoughts. Examples: visit several museums, zoos, botanical gardens, etc. in one day; paint that room in your house you've been wanting to paint for so long; take a short day trip to another town and document it in photos and/or videos like you've just discovered Atlantis. The idea here is that you are going to take your mind off your new (renewed?) cravings. You may be surprised how easy that is to do in just one day if you are very engrossed in something that is outside of your normal routine.

Second, work in small treats for yourself on a regular basis. A Skinny Cow ice cream or a couple of freshly baked "ready-to-bake" cookies a couple of times a week won't add many calories or that much processed sugar, and it may help you control what may otherwise be a hopeless cycle of complete deprivation/total binge. Try several different treats, and at some point you'll find *that one* that you just love, and knowing you CAN have it should make things a lot easier.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I am so done with myself right now! I feel like absolute crap, I haven't felt this bad in years. The last two years I've been doing really good, I haven't lost weight or even bodyfat, but I've felt how strong both my body and mind have become. I haven't eaten (or even craced) hardly any sweets or junk food and I've been working out at least five times a week. I've been so proud of myself! Of course I've had slipbacks, but nothing major. Not like right now!

I'm doing the 30 day shred and I was determined not to eat ANY junk at all under those 30 days, and I was doing pretty good until a couple of days ago. I made som cakes for a party and of course I had to taste the cakes during the party at night .. From that moment on it's like a rediscovered everything that is so wonderful about sweets that I forgot during my really healthy years, and now it has only gone downhills .. It's like I want to eat everything that I haven't had for so long! So these past couple of days I've had lots of ice cream, sugary foods, candy, alcohol, you name it. I even want to try an McDonald's meal again, which I haven't had in two years! I'm afraid that I've gained a lot of weight but I don't dare to step on the scale.

Soo, what to do? I know, I know, I should just get back on track, but it would really help to hear something from someone else, maybe even someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about. Anything really, please!

I'm a big junk food junkie..... I'm like an alcoholic with sweets. I can't take a piece of cake -- I will have to have several and then more and more the next day. Believe me, you're not alone. Getting away from sugar reminds me of the work I did years ago to quit my cigarette addiction.

Don't beat up on yourself, but call it like it is -- you're an addict. Physically stay away from that stuff. Don't cook cake for a party -- you can't any more than an alcoholic can work with wine and beer. Drink water, go for a refreshing walk, eat a piece of fruit if you want something sweet. It will be out of your system in a few days. If I can do it, you can do it too. It's also not the end of the world. :smile: