Am I too heavy to start c25k?

Options

Replies

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I could never manage to get into running honestly, though I've thought this program sounded interesting.

Another question though, I've had a severe ankle injury about a year ago (broke all three bones, dislocated, surgery/hardware the whole nine yards!), now I kind of look like I'm galloping if I try to run. Is it probably a safe bet to say that maybe I shouldn't try running? I know that everyone says that they hated it at first and then grew to love it, I don't know if I could be one of those people or not, but it is kinda tempting, especially with all of the successful stories on here and plus my two friends that I play roller derby with have done it too (and keep trying to talk me into running with them LOL). Right now I do the elliptical, swim, weights and play derby for exercise.

Thoughts?
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!! u're not, you're actually not heavy. I started at 220lbs. I could only run a minute at a time. When I got to week 3 I had to repeat several days. I am now 207lbs and running 10 minutes at a time. I never finished the program simply coz I suck at sticking with plans, but am going to try it again. It got me running more that I ever thought I could.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am another big guy who started running. I was 306 lbs when I ran (shuffled) those first few yards. Take it easy,and slow till you can move. It did hurt at first but believe me it really does get easier. I now can run a half marathon in under 2:30. Oh and I'm still over 200 lbs
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    However, if u have had an injury, see your doctor first. I wouldn't risk it before seeing a doctor.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of replies but I just wanted to add another vote to go for it! I was 185 (at 5'6.5) when I started. Definitely not too heavy. Take it slow and you'll be fine.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I started it at 205 - 5'1".
    So, I'd vote to do it - unless you have other medical conditions that would prevent it.
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I believe that you're NEVER too heavy. You just need to adjust to your current ability. If it feels hard, it's supposed to. If it feels impossible, then give yourself a break and walk as much as you need despite what the plan says.

Just don't stop. All of us start somewhere, or we spend our lives overweight and miserable. (yes, I've been there)

Good luck!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I decided to give it a try at 255 pounds at 5'5" tall.... I did several sessions but it was hurting my knees too much and I didn't want to damage myself. I decided to wait until I get under 200 and give it another try then. So for now I'm sticking with Zumba, step aerobics and the elliptical. C25K is still in my plans, just not right now.

Nothing wrong with trying it for a few days to figure out if it's right for you.

Why cant you just do the c25k treadmill version on the elliptical? Or is this overkill?
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Not too heavy! I am 5' 10" and I was running a lot when I was around 220-230- when I get back there I will run more. Now I run a little for a few minutes at a time intermittent with walking. Its too hard on my knees still.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No not too heavy at all friend! Though it never hurts to check in with a doctor if you are worried ;)... my best advice is to start off with "running" as a very slow jog. If you are unaccustomed to jogging/running, just speed up so you are barely jogging. pace yourself, and when a workout was insane intense, take a rest day, repeat, then move on, you can do this!!! Eventually you will naturally pick up your speed and feel amazing!
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am in my third week and have never been athletic.... ever! I am in a class taught by a former professional runner and now personal trainer as I seek my goal of my first 5K in October. Comparing others in my class and hearing how it's going for each of us I don't see that weight is an issue. First, go to a running store and let them evaluate your walk... don't skimp on shoes. I saw a person who was experiencing pain like shin splint but got the tight shoes and now the pain is gone.

I have more troubles with sore tight muscles. I had to learn which muscles to stretch and to stretch well (holding 30 seconds) after running in addition to several times that evening.... Esp getting the hip flexors, the muscle at the side of my thigh's, calves (front and back). I found a beginner yoga video that really helped me out with this. I also have a foam roller, but the instructor uses a basic rolling pin to work out some muscles.

I also found an instructional running video showing the CHI running form. I was concerned for my knees as I read alot of people deal with knee issues, I use this form in my practice runs but more importantly its the muscles out of balance that begins to cause the injury pain. So on off days I do a walking total body muscle movement workout... some days low impact because my muscles are sore or weak and some days higher impact. Cross training... make sure you don't over develop some muscles and under develop others.

Also, your speed.... it doesn't matter. I found a picture that said, "I run, slower than a turtle in peanuit butter, but I STILL RUN!" I liked it alot. It is only me against me and right now it' the practice workouts and making it fit within my schedule.

Good luck to you.
  • FranceBound57
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" and at the time of my 1/2 marathon (21.1km) I was 40lbs overweight for my height. That is a lot of pressure on the knees, but I did it.
    Since most races/runs take place outside - you need to hit the pavement. Runningon a treadmill versus the pavement - no comparison the impact is greater outside. Get yourself good shoes/socks and start slowly. Never increase your distance more that 10% per week.

You should run 3 times per week - anymore than that in the beginning is too much. Once you get past 10k mark you can push it up to 4 times a week. Be sure to crosstrain - yoga, weights, swimming, etc.

Good luck - you can do it!:smile:
  • SanDiegoJohn
    SanDiegoJohn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 191 lbs and my question is am I too heavy to start c25k? I am 5ft 8.

I just blogged about this yesterday (http://bit.ly/15BOTCs). No, you are not too heavy. Get started and believe that you can do it!

John
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. It's great to hear others have done it, so I am off to start it today.
    I have just heard a couple of friend telling me that there is no way I could do it at my weight so I was starting to believe I couldn't.
    Well if other have done it then so can I. it great to hear that others have done it.
    I don't expect it to be easy at all. Nothing easy exercise wise is going to do you much good.
    Thanks to all for replying so fast!
    P

When it comes to fitness, most people think that it's bad for you and somehow will hurt you. Most people are out of shape and overweight and have health problems because of it. Most people don't know much about most things and even less know anything about staying healthy. Don't listen to anyone...you can do anything you want to do. ;)
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started running less than 3 years ago and I weighed a little over 300 pounds, today depending on the day I weigh right at 200 and not only do I run 5k's, 10'k's, half marathons and duathlons I also win them in my age group. You can do this, do it right, start slow and work your way up. The biggest part of running is mental as much as physical so follow what your body is telling you not what your mind is telling you.

YOU GOT THIS, NO EXCUSES GO DO IT !!!!!!!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    OMG! Go for it! I "ran" an 8K turkey trot at 220 (and I'm 5"3'). I think people were passing me on crutches! But I finished! And guess what they called me??? A finisher! Go for it!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you can run, google "running for fat people" there are several good web sites that help, don't listen to the ones that say you cannot, I googled "running shoes for fat people" and found a site where the woman gives super good sound advice about what to wear, preventing thigh chafing, etc.

oh, and for the record, I am not saying I personally think 191 pounds with your height is fat- I am 6 inches shorter than you and 80 pounds heavier, but I am not going to let anyone else tell me what I can and cannot do!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I thought I'd reply for others asking the same thing.

Last time I weighed myself (4 weeks ago - I'm on a scale fast) I was 280. That was the same time I started C25k. It's been awesome. It's tough and definitely a challenge, but I'm taking it slow and at my own pace. I run verrrrrrrry sloowwwwwwly lol. It feels great! I know this is cliche, but seriously - if I can do it ANYONE can!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fitness, most people think that it's bad for you and somehow will hurt you. Most people are out of shape and overweight and have health problems because of it. Most people don't know much about most things and even less know anything about staying healthy. Don't listen to anyone...you can do anything you want to do. ;)

Best quote ever.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to all that have replied. I am going to give it a shot today. I have good shoes and I have the app so all set. All that was missing was the encouragement as I heard my 2 friends discussing last nigh how I hadn't a hope as I was too heavy. Last time I will share with them.
    And we'll done to you all on your losses. Some amazing losses. Hopefully this time next year I will be there myself.
    Really appreciate the comments. Will try it to see how I get on.
    P

Yeah, if your friends aren't going to be positive just tell them when you have completed it! I didn't tell my family because I didn't want to hear their reactions... (Mom can be very pessimistic when she worries.) I had bad knees as a teen & had to stop running at a much lower weight so I didn't want to say anything until I knew if I was going to have a problem. Right now I'm about 5'2, 212 lbs & doing week 3.

A good support network is a huge help though. There's an awesome group on here for c25k that is packed with tips & people who are more than willing to answer your questions. Feel free to add me if you want some extra support as well. You CAN do
    it!

Here's the link for the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k