WHAT COLOR DO YOU EAT?

Options
Have you ever wondered what makes fruit and vegetables different colors? The answer is phytochemicals! Phytochemicals (pronounced fi-to-ke-mi-k-ls) are found in all plants. When you eat fruits and veggies, your body uses these phytochemicals in different ways to keep you healthy and disease free. When you eat your 5 servings of fruits and veggies everyday , Do you try to eat 5 different colors? Here are a list of fruits and veggies that can help your body be the healthiest it can be.!

Color: RED AND PINKS
Cherries, red apples, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon , and tomatoes
Phytochemical benefits: Eating these types of fruit and veggies is a great way to prevent different types of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes

Color: ORANGES AND YELLOWS
Sweet potatoes, carrots, cantaloupe, mangoes, apricots, peaches, oranges, and grapefruits
Phytochemical Benefits: These fruits and veggies contain a phytochemical that your body turns into Vitamin A. Vitamin A is important because it helps your bones, teeth and eyes stay healthy. Citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit have alot of vitamin C and also contain a phytochemical that works with Vitamin C. Together, these strengthen your bones and teeth, keep your skin healthy, help heal wounds, help your body fight off cold and flu viruses and lower the risk of cancer and heart attacks.

Color:GREENS
Spinach, Romaine letuce, collard greens, green peas, honeydew melon, kiwifruit, avocados, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage
Phytochemical Benefits: Eating these foods can help reduce the risk of cataracts, which is an eye disease. Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage hlep to protect against breast cancer in women and porstate cancer in men. Studies have shown the men who ate a serving of one of these vegetables 3 times a week reduced their risk of prostate cancer by 42%!

Color: BLUES AND PURPLES
Blueberries, blackberries,grapes, plums, raisins, and eggplant
Phytochemical Benefits: These foods not only taste great, they are great for you! They help to reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and Alzheimer's Disease.

Color: WHITES
Garlic , onions, and leeks
Phytochemical Benefits: These vegetables may not be very colorful, but they are full of powerful protection! Eating these foods helps to keep your cholesterol and blood pressure at healthy levels. Research has shown that these foods may help you recover from a cold faster, reduce the risk of heart attacks, and even stop the spread of certain cancers, like stomach and colon cancer.

So what are you waiting for...eat up!

Replies

• RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you - great post!

I agree - eat the rainbow!!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I like this post. Thanks for the info!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat all the colors!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I do not go by color when choosing my foods, I prefer nutritional value and if it fits into my day. I also do not choose foods as a way to prevent certain diseases.
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty redundant. Blue prevents cancer! Red prevents cancer! Did I mention yellows and oranges prevent cancer?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat them all. I don't eat them all every day, but I rotate a pretty colourful diet.
  • Seems pretty redundant. Blue prevents cancer! Red prevents cancer! Did I mention yellows and oranges prevent cancer?

My thoughts exactly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A Doritos Locos Taco Supreme has red, green, brown, yellow, and white. Looks like I've got my bases covered.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I prefer skittles.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :smile: This has come up in some of the books I've been reading and I now try and get some of the different colors in-started buying orange and yellow bell peppers, instead of green ones all the time etc. The different colors make things prettier too :bigsmile:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump for later :0
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Phyto = plant.

Phyto chemical = plant chemical. (which means essentially nothing)

The colours are caused by pigments, which, when struck by photons, feed the electron transport chain of the plant to enter into the Calvin Cycle to start the process of turning H20 and CO2 into C6H12O6 (glucose). Pigments do not prevent cancer. What you might be thinking of are antioxidants which can help to reduce risk of cancer by providing oxygen to react with free radicals (lose H+) hanging around in your body, which will just as soon react with the chemicals that make up your muscles.

Fruits are brightly coloured to attract heterotrophs in order to spread/germinate seeds.

This is similar to saying, "My hair is brown, so it promotes muscle growth."
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and gained muscle at the same time only eating monochromatic foods
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This is an example of complicating things that are best kept simple.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What if I puree everything with food coloring? :drinker:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    the pink
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat every one except white