Half Marathon Training

Options
So I started the C25K training a few weeks ago and quickly realized that I'm never going to be one of those people that will be able to run long distances, however I can go a long time doing intervals, meaning I run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute.

I've read some articles that say this is a good way to run, reduces risk of injury, etc.

My question is will I be able to run a half marathon in this way?

I'm up to 6 miles at least 4 days a week so far and the first half marathon I want to run/walk in is January 2014.

Thank you for your input.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    quickly realized that I'm never going to be one of those people that will be able to run long distances,
    Don't sell yourself short. It basically sucks for everybody when they first start out. Don't limit your overall potential with low expectations. Think big.
  • maja124moxie
    maja124moxie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!!! Keep going and you will be amazed of what you are capable of.
    You can also find a run/walk training plan online.

Good luck!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are training programs that are based on run 10/walk 1 that go right up to marathon distances.

While there is nothing wrong with the run/walk method if that's what you prefer, I wouldn't be so quick to say you can't run the distance regularly. You are still very new. It's amazing how adaptable we are.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    First off, never sell yourself short. You're capable of more than you think.

With that being said, there's an entire running style/community based on the run/walk method. Read up on the Galloway method. I ran a marathon based on this and did pretty well. .
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think you can probably do run/walk for a half marathon just fine if that's what it comes down to.

That said, I used to think the same thing when I was doing c25k. I didn't have as much success with c25k as most people seem to. I was able to "run" for 40 minutes after completing c25k but even after 40 minutes I wasn't quite getting to a 5k and clearly was running the same speed or slower than if I did run/walk combinations. I tried re-starting it and making a concerted effort to run faster, but it just didn't work for me.

I had basically given up running for a while. Then I switched gyms to a gym that cost less but was much closer. I started taking their treadmill running classes. And after doing that for a while, I started to notice real progress. I was able to run for longer times at a faster pace. After 5 months of the class and training on my own I ran a half marathon.

The structure of c25k just didn't work for me. I would run more and more slowly as the weeks went on in order to be able to run for the duration of time specified. My treadmill class was structured a lot differently and that happened to work out for me better.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Run/walk works for all distances. I ran my first marathon last year using a 2.5 min run / 30 sec walk I think and easily finished. I just did a 10 mile race the other day with a .65 mile run / .1 mile walk break. Just figure out what ratio works for you and be willing to adjust based on distance, temperature, etc. When you get to certain distances (ultras), basically everyone ends up run/walking.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    quickly realized that I'm never going to be one of those people that will be able to run long distances,
    Don't sell yourself short. It basically sucks for everybody when they first start out. Don't limit your overall potential with low expectations. Think big.

Why can't you be one of those people?? You can!!
  • smileitmakespeoplewonder
    Options
    Thank you everyone for such great advice and support. I'm really hoping that eventually I get to be one of those people. I'm going to keep at it, cause I NEVER want to be the person I was a year ago and nearly 400 lbs!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for such great advice and support. I'm really hoping that eventually I get to be one of those people. I'm going to keep at it, cause I NEVER want to be the person I was a year ago and nearly 400 lbs!

Congratulations on your weight loss success. That is truly inspiring!!
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that YES, you can start training towards a half marathon this way. I started this way too and just completed my first half 2 weeks ago. It sucks at first...so much. But then it slowly gets better and then boom - you're sprinting across the finish line, gasping for air and crying because you did it (or at least I was)...Keep with it!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    First of all, couch to 5K will get the rest of your body ready for the rigors of running as your cardio will come first. I didn't know about C25K when I started running and wound up over doing it. Wish I had known...

Anyway I am currently training for my first half marathon. I am using this plan
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

he also has a half marathon plan for those intending to walk a half marathon
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51134/Half-Marathon-Walk-Training-Program

I am 43 years old. Last year I ran an unbroken mile for the first time since little league. I failed to run out a base hit when I was clearly going to be thrown out at first. I had to run laps around the entire field at the next practice because I blew off that play.

I saw a tshirt the other day that said "My sport is your sport's punishment" and I had to laugh. To this day when I see professional baseball players not running out their base hits it makes me twitch.

But I digress...

You can do this. It gets easier and eventually enjoyable, especially if you don't get time to be alone with your thoughts, during non race runs I can totally work things through in my brain, it's wonderful.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agee with everyone that says ' don't sell yourself short'...I was in that boat when I started too and I'm running my 2nd marathon in October (albeit at a 'slower' pace....but I'm still running.)

with that said, if you like the run/walk....I highly recommend you read up on Galloway - I believe the run/walk (and ratios) are described in his books/his plans (Jeff Galloway). I have a lot of friends who swear by it.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Stop seeling yourself short seven years ago I started running. I could hardly run a minute. My weight was close to 400 pounds and I thought I would never be good at it. 18 months after I started running I ran my first half marthon, I RAN it. I didn't walk at all. So STOP saying you'll NEVER be able to do it. Since starting running I'ver done 5 marathons and many halfs and now I'm training to run a half with my wife this fall. You can do it. Stop letting FEAR make decisions for you.

Things that may help....

1) Get good running shoes
    2) Buy GPS watch it will help with pacing, and they are a lot cheaper if you don't go for one with all the extra features
    3) When running if you can't speak in complete sentences, you're going to fast. Slow Down! Distiance running is not about speed when you're starting out.
    4) Don't let yourself ever walk for more than a minute. You should be able to recover in a miuntes time.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Don't sell yourself short and visit that site, he has all sorts of training programs. I'm running my first half in November and never thought I would be someone who could run more than 3 miles. The best thing I've found for me is to keep a pace where I can sing along to my music at, that way I don't over exert myself. Also, I feel like 3 miles is the point to where I have to get past. I say aim to run it, you have PLENTY of time to train for it!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Don't sell yourself short and visit that site, he has all sorts of training programs. I'm running my first half in November and never thought I would be someone who could run more than 3 miles. The best thing I've found for me is to keep a pace where I can sing along to my music at, that way I don't over exert myself. Also, I feel like 3 miles is the point to where I have to get past. I say aim to run it, you have PLENTY of time to train for it!

Cannot recommend Mr Higdon's programs enough. I had him recommended to me by a friend of mine who is a HARD CORE runner and it has proven very useful.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your mind gives up LONG before your body (or legs) ever will. Everyone starts somewhere. Remember you are the only person that set the limitations.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You totally can become a long distance runner! Just go slow - that's what I do!

BUT, to answer your question, you should be able to run a half marathon doing a walk-run method - just make sure the HM you sign up for doesn't have really stringent cut off times. Typically I think most have around a 15-16 minute/mile (or maybe even a little slower) pace cut-off time - so as long as you're going a little faster than that you should be fine.

Also, I think Jeff Galloway has tons of run/walk training programs for races up to a full marathon! You may want to check that out.