runners - how does this sound?

Options
I just finished my c25k program (well todfay i will do the continuous 5k, and see how my time is. I guess after this i want to start building speed and endurance... i need to set some real goals for myself or i lose interest.

so i was thinking 3 runs / week still with the fist two being 5 x 5mins run &1 min walk (with 5 minute warm up&cooldown) = 39 minutes total working on my pace and the last being distance like maybe 3 x 10 minute with 1 minute walks laddering up to like an hour or so...

my ultimate goal is to finish a 10k in April and improve my times.

I don't have hours upon hours to train. I take my lunch break on the trail these days to squeeze in a workout, so even an hour is pushing it (until i live with my husband again)

the plan is to force some gym workouts in there too, and to be cycling and start swimming (in preparation for the imaginary triathalon i will do next year)

thoughts?

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you used an app for the C25K or if you just found the program and followed the instructions. There is a 10K bridge for the C25K which is what I switched to. If you are looking for an ultimate goal find a fun run and sign up for it. I will be doing a Halloween run in October, roughly 3 weeks after I finish my 10K bridge. That's what I changed my plan to, perhaps it will do ok for you too.

As far as improving times it's general consensus among the seasoned runners here the best way is to add distance. With distance comes time, or so I have read on here from the runners.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You will get naturally faster by running more miles. Don't worry about trying to run fast. Try to run a little longer. Add another day once every other week for a month or so and then add that day in permanently. Just continue to run at a conversational pace, slowly building your mileage and you will get faster without trying to get faster.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm just nor super shure i can spare more than 45 minutes 3 times / week :( That's where i figured work on some sprints, etc... I mean in the end, it will be what it will be. Once I get to live with my husband again, i can run after dinner, or i can trade a day hour for a night hour of work and run longer, just right now I'm stretched to the limit!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm just nor super shure i can spare more than 45 minutes 3 times / week :( That's where i figured work on some sprints, etc... I mean in the end, it will be what it will be. Once I get to live with my husband again, i can run after dinner, or i can trade a day hour for a night hour of work and run longer, just right now I'm stretched to the limit!

Doing shorter, faster workouts will give some gains, but will top out a some point. Unless you have the aerobic base to support the speed work, it will not be completely effective. It's like putting icing on nothing. You have to have the cake first.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    You will get naturally faster by running more miles. Don't worry about trying to run fast. Try to run a little longer. Add another day once every other week for a month or so and then add that day in permanently. Just continue to run at a conversational pace, slowly building your mileage and you will get faster without trying to get faster.

This.
    Don't worry about speed work..
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Exactly what I would also say. He saved me the words.