anyone found a way to get stink out of sneakers?

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
As the title says... anyone found a good, reliable way to get stink out of sneakers?

I've tried freezing them.
I've tried washing them with special detergents.
I've tried powders and sneaker balls and such.

I get to the point where I replace sneakers because they smell so bad before they are actually worn out.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    kids and pets.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    go shopping?
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    have you tried natural solutions like apple cider vinegar, or just plain baking soda (i LOVE baking soda, it fixes everything!)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Baking soda, the natural cure. Put it in the shoe and let it sit for 24 hours.

Or have you tried going to the laundromat and putting your shoes in the washer?
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    Try putting dryer sheets in them!
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    have you tried odor eaters line of stuff or even what I have used baby powder with corn starch. I am also going to post a link with a bunch of ideas bust of luck to you. http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Your-Shoes-from-Stinking
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I buy a febreeze scented baking soda. It has always done the trick for me.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Best thing for removing smells is vinegar,

Put them in a bucket of hot water and a good splash of white vinegar for about an hour.
    Then put them in the washing to get the vinegar out.
  • chadraeder3
    Options
    Have you tried to use baking soda in your sneekers before they begin to stink also you might want to try some fungicide on your feet.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Your-Shoes-from-Stinking
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Lysol spray, kills the bacteria that causes odors, and scented lysol adds a nice fragrance
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with sports washes like Fit. Depends on the sneakers, though.
  • mkemmc6009
    Options
    Another trick to try is to stuff the shoes with newspaper after each wear. It absorbs the moisture that eventually causes the stink. Unfortunately, if you start out with shoes that are smelly already, it won't remove the existing stink.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You have to get better smelling feet! :-)
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Baking soda, freezing, if you wash them make sure you take the insoles out and dry them in the sun otherwise they will smell again...

Are you wearing socks?? I know my friend had the same problem, but he wasn't wearing socks...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've tried baby powder, baking soda, dryer sheets, various detergents.

I'm hesitant to try vinegar because I know how hard it can be to get the smell out.

I wear my vibrams without socks, so that's part of the issue there... but all my other sneakers are worn with socks.

My shoes rarely have a chance to wear out - I end up having to throw them away because I can't stand to have them in the house.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sneaker Balls are great.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Washing your shoes isn't going to do much because they can't dry like clothes & so mold develops. Otherwise, Odorous Eaters spray has done some good for some of my shoes, but if yours are just too far gone it may be time to replace them. One thing to do in the future is to get replaceable insoles & change them every few months.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Check out Nokout. You can go to nokout.com and read about the product. As a woman who lives with 5 males (4 sons and a hubby) this product, hands down, beats anything I've ever tried. It will kill any odor on the face of the planet!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Force Out odor eliminator.

It can effectively get rid of cat urine stains and smell, I'm sure your sneakers aren't *that* bad.