Bountiful Baskets

Options
I'm thinking about giving this website a try, bountifulbaksets.org. Has anyone ever used it? Does it save you as much $$ as it claims? Are the fruits and vegetables fresh?

Replies

• darece
    darece Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do BB. It is great. I have found that it has helped me eat more fruits and veggies(now that they are in the house all the time). Fruits and veggies is something that I always have overlooked while grocery shopping. I have never had a problem with quality. It has always been fresh. I did have bananas one week that never did ripen. It is fun finding ways to use all of the produce before the next basket comes. They have really good tasting bread and tortillas too.
  • darece
    Options
    And YES. It really is worth the 15.00. You get alot.
  • sdwdickson
    sdwdickson Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I think I will give it a try next weekend:).
  • LWatson43
    LWatson43 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you lock into a contract or can you order when you like for the $15.00 price?
  • darece
    Options
    Here in Utah we order on Monday and pick up on Saturday. It is always 15.00,+ 1.50 ( for credit/debit. they do not accept cash or check). The first time you order it is a 3.00 charge. You never know what you are going to get. There are items that you can order extra of, as in: 5 loaves of 15 grain bread 10.00, 5 loaves of sourdough bread 10.00, a Mexican pack(avocado, etc,) 7.50. You do not get to choose what you get. It is whatever they can get good prices on.
    Last week we got:
    1 head Romaine lettuce
    6 Roma tomato
    3 English cucumbers
    8 corn on the cob
    1 head califlower
    8 banana
    5 mango
    1 cantalope
    1 bag of grapefruit
    6 peaches
    1 container of champagne grapes

the week before was
    cantaloupe
    strawberries
    banana
    peaches
    pears
    red grapes
    tomato
    red peppers
    celery
    broccoli
    carrots
    romaine lettuce
    I am hooked! No contract. you order when you want. My parents ordered until their garden came on and then quit ordering. I know of people who camp a lot, and order at a delivery site near where they are going camping at.
  • sdwdickson
    Options
    Wow! That sounds like alot of food for 15.00, I can't wait to see what's waiting for me on Sat. when I pick up!
  • darece
    Options
    Hope you enjoy it. I know I do.
    Just for grins and giggles.. My daughter and I went to a local produce stand today, and I have to say that the quality there was horrible. I will continue to order through BB.
  • sdwdickson
    Options
    Finally was able to get my basket, and what a value. I picked it up 5 days ago though and my bananas have not ripened yet. But other than that, I got alot and my kids get to try different fruits and veggies than we would normally buy.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I wish Bountiful Baskets were near me.............

I subscribe to a CSA and go to Farmers Market for remainder of the stuff i need..........However the CSA you are locked into the contract and it is subtantially more costly than the bountiful Basket program.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    We've been doing this for about 3 months and LOVE it. It really saves us SO much on groceries, and forces you to eat more fruit and veggies. I've also tried so many new recipes because of it.
  • sdwdickson
    Options
    I look forward to trying new recipes from it also. I got butternut squash and have never really tasted it before so I look forward to seeing what I get next time.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Wow, never heard of them before seeing this thread..

I do CSA and love it! For $40 a season it can't be beat, some weeks I leave some behind because I know there's simply no way it can all be used. Such wonderful fresh picked that very day organtic produce.

Looking forward to reading more about BB, unsure what areas it services but still curious just the same.

Glad I happened upon the thread:wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Here in Utah we order on Monday and pick up on Saturday. It is always 15.00,+ 1.50 ( for credit/debit. they do not accept cash or check). The first time you order it is a 3.00 charge. You never know what you are going to get. There are items that you can order extra of, as in: 5 loaves of 15 grain bread 10.00, 5 loaves of sourdough bread 10.00, a Mexican pack(avocado, etc,) 7.50. You do not get to choose what you get. It is whatever they can get good prices on.
    Last week we got:
    1 head Romaine lettuce
    6 Roma tomato
    3 English cucumbers
    8 corn on the cob
    1 head califlower
    8 banana
    5 mango
    1 cantalope
    1 bag of grapefruit
    6 peaches
    1 container of champagne grapes

the week before was
    cantaloupe
    strawberries
    banana
    peaches
    pears
    red grapes
    tomato
    red peppers
    celery
    broccoli
    carrots
    romaine lettuce
    I am hooked! No contract. you order when you want. My parents ordered until their garden came on and then quit ordering. I know of people who camp a lot, and order at a delivery site near where they are going camping at.
    What a wonderful selection!! So glad you got hooked up:heart:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Just browsing the site, not close to any of the areas and same as Lioness (Grokette) I too belong to CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) in my area, but have never thought of it as being locked in a contract, the Season never seems to last long enough for me!:flowerforyou: Perhaps I'm in a lower cost area than Lioness (Grokette) as I only pay $40 for the full Season, which is like 20 boxes of mixed produce (only 4 boxes left until next season:cry:).

I love that it's organtic, I can tell a huge difference in taste. Also the look of the produce when food is harvested and boxed that day locally vs. it sitting in the store after being picked, trucked, stored then shelved in stores. We never know how much time has passed in between all those stages in regular grocery produce. :frown:

So these Co-ops are such a treat to be apart of!:drinker:

For those also curious like I was here's the locations available for the Coop being discussed on the topic line...

AZ
    CO
    ID
    NV
    OR
    TX
    UT
    WA
    WY

"About Bountiful Baskets Co-op

Bountiful Baskets is not a business. It is a group of people who work together for mutual benefit. We are up front and open about how things work.

Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op is constantly growing to reach new areas as volunteers want to have a co-op site close to their home. They train with an existing Volunteer Site Coordinator and request a site to be added. We run at least every two weeks at each site. We are completely volunteer-run and make no profit. We have the following distribution sites and look forward to adding other distribution sites as volunteers are trained and ready to open them! Please see our locations page for a complete listing of current sites."

http://bountifulbaskets.org/
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Wow, never heard of them before seeing this thread..

I do CSA and love it! For $40 a season it can't be beat, some weeks I leave some behind because I know there's simply no way it can all be used. Such wonderful fresh picked that very day organtic produce.

Looking forward to reading more about BB, unsure what areas it services but still curious just the same.

Glad I happened upon the thread:wink:

I paid over $2000 for my CSA share but we get 46 weeks of local food and includes meats, dairy and other goodies...............

I found one that I am subscribing to next year a bit closer to me and it is only $550.00 for the season............this one is merely fruits and veggies and is only 26 weeks long..........

here is from my CSA website:
    Note: Sales taxes went up on July 1st, 2010 and these prices reflect the change.

Payments are due prior to the pickups because we pay our farmers and vendors upon delivery.

- One-time payment: $2423.99 ($50 per weekly share + 5.391% sales tax = $52.6955 x 46 weeks), due upon joining/renewing.

- Two payments: $1216.84 each ($50.20 per weekly share + 5.391% sales tax =$52.9062 x 46 weeks / 2) due the first of the month: March (upon joining/renewing) and September.

- Four payments: $610.85 each ($50.40 per weekly share + 5.391% sales tax = $53.1171 x 46 weeks / 4), due the first of the month: March (upon joining/renewing), June, September, and December. *All payment plans over two payments will be required to set up automated payments, unless otherwise agreed with us. Details below.

- Six payments: $408.84 each ($50.60 per weekly share + 5.391% sales tax = $53.3278 x 46 weeks / 6), due the first of the month: March (upon joining/renewing), May, July, September, November, January. *All payment plans over two payments will be required to set up automated payments, unless otherwise agreed with us. Details below.

-Monthly payments: $223.67 each ($50.75 per weekly share + 5.391% sales tax = $53.4859 x 46 weeks/11), due the first of the Month: March (upon joining/renewing), May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February. *All payment plans over two payments will be required to set up automated payments, unless otherwise agreed with us. Details below