What's Your Weights w/o Routine for Calves?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Pssst. A little higher for calves. Like 15-20ish for most people.

for the breakdown I gave? I was talking about her deadlifts but I didn't know that about calves. Thank you Dav! I learn something new from you at least once a week..hahaha :)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Deadlifts, Clean & Jerks and Squats. I also do calf raises on the leg press between sets. And I have a cool little machine that I do toe raises(foot curls) on for the front of the leg(shins) also ...

I go in the 10-15 rep range as well on calves ..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Question: Since this topic deals with calves. Do you HAVE to work out calves? I mean, I'm doing all other compound lifts but my calves, thanks to my Dad, already look nice and strong. If I forgo isolated calve exercises, will that be the end of the world?

No, you don't have to at all. The reason to do it would be aesthetic purposes or some specific rehab, otherwise it's unnecessary to do isolated calves as a part of an overall strength routine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm in the weight room at least 4 times/week, often 5. I feel clueless about how to w/o calves.....I do them holding a 40lb bar in between sets of other things, toes straight 50reps, toes out 50reps. Not sure what else to do to make gorgeous calves??

I do squats and deadlifts. Outside of the weight room I run and ride a bike.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do a calve-ish workout.... when I do walking lunges- as I bring my foot together I go into a releve/passe position- then step forward into the next lunge.

but I don't do actual specific isolation's- I do enough dancing in releve- it's unneeded for me.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Soleus (predominantly slow twitch for most people): seated calf raise, lighter loads, higher reps.
    Gastrocnemius (predominantly fast twitch for most people): standing calf raise, heavier loads, lower reps.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Soleus (predominantly slow twitch for most people): seated calf raise, lighter loads, higher reps.
    Gastrocnemius (predominantly fast twitch for most people): standing calf raise, heavier loads, lower reps.
    Here. I knew there were diff muscles in there. Thank-you!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Question: Since this topic deals with calves. Do you HAVE to work out calves? I mean, I'm doing all other compound lifts but my calves, thanks to my Dad, already look nice and strong. If I forgo isolated calve exercises, will that be the end of the world?

It is probably not necessary but I like to work them through the full range of motion that they dont really get with most of the big compounds. From the stretch (toes towards the shin) all the way to the contraction (tip toes).

A lot of people have trouble squatting really low because of lack of mobility in the ankle/calves. I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking and I want all of my leg to be as strong and flexible as possible. My calves have only grown about 1/2" in 2 years so it really isnt going to add a lot of size but the amount of weight has gone up significantly.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    With an olympic bar on my shoulders and the balls of my feet on a plate on the floor for a little more work.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not saying my approach is better but it is different because I use predominantly bodyweight movements. Calves being stubborn muscles to develop, you may find rep sets in the 15-20 range will do better (I acknowledge this has already been mentioend). I find lower reps end up with me pulling something if I use leg press or calf machines but 15-20 give a nice burn!

In bodyweight movements I am way beyond doing single leg calf raises so I get my Significant Other to sit astride my hips with me in a bent over rowing position and I do Donkey Calf Raises - look them up; they're fun if you get the right partner to work/play with!

The other one is from Acro-Yoga. You lie on your back with arms and legs vertical. Your partner lies face down onto your hands and feet - shoulders resting on your hands and thighs resting on the soles of your feet and - for calf development - you perform Calf Raises by pointing the balls of your feet, raising your partner up at the thighs. Even more fun!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts

^^This!!!
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

pro-tip: calf size is primarily genetic and won't change much even with regimented training. and calf work doesn't burn many calories. training calves is fine if you choose but the bulk of your leg work should be for the upper legs. squats, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, and the like. 85% of the time on the big lifts, 10% of the time on the little lifts like calf work, and 5% of the time admiring how bad *kitten* you look in the gym mirror. selfie taking optional.

^^Love this! :drinker:
  • eustacescrubb
    eustacescrubb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Walking or running on your toes is the best thing to do for calves. Much better than anything in the weight room.
  • smiller212003
    smiller212003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I superset standing calf raises after squats at smith machine (135 lbs). Then i superset calves on leg press. Other than that cardio days hills and jump rope do wonders!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My leg workout includes squats, deadlifts and leg press, so I don't need much more work for my calves. I do legs twice a week and add calves on one of them (six sets of calf press on the leg press and six sets of seated calf raises). When I work calves, I go ultra heavy. Beyond that, I walk, a lot.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    Years of wearing heels and now running
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

would definitely not be the end of the world
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Genetics!!!! I have awesome calves...........and never do isolation calve exercises. :bigsmile:

This! My dad has HUGE calf muscles and I inherited them!
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Jump rope and run stairs. Those work your calves *really* well, and are good exercise to boot.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options

It is probably not necessary but I like to work them through the full range of motion that they dont really get with most of the big compounds. From the stretch (toes towards the shin) all the way to the contraction (tip toes).

A lot of people have trouble squatting really low because of lack of mobility in the ankle/calves. I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking and I want all of my leg to be as strong and flexible as possible. My calves have only grown about 1/2" in 2 years so it really isnt going to add a lot of size but the amount of weight has gone up significantly.

This would be a good reason for me to consider it. I also want to have legs as strong as possible to be able to squat heavier. I just don't want them (my calves) to get any bigger! :tongue: