Sugar in fruit?

Options
Hi all, after only a few days of logging calories... I'm a little confused about the sugar. Does this mean just processed/added sugar, or all sugar including what is naturally found in fruit? With the amount of fruit I eat, I'm almost tripling the 25g goal set for me. I LOVE fruit... and it's fairly healthy.. surely I can eat more than one piece per day (1 pear = 20g).. am I going crazy??

Replies

• DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ummm well i guess it depends on you. sugar is sugar, i mean yes refined and artificial i worse but your body breaks down sugar the same way regardless. i love love love fruit but i only have it maybe once a week as a treat. we should reach for more veggies instead of fruit.

this is just my opinion^^
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    btw,sorry for the crapy typing im carrying my 2 month old, lol
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    That goal seems way too low to me.
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love fruit myself, and I was super bummed to see my sugar grams rack up everyday from all the fruit I eat. But, for me personally, I am ok with having a little extra sugar everyday if it's coming from fruit. I just try to keep added sugars out. :-)
  • mmjensen2010
    mmjensen2010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just read another thread about sugars in fruits to answer my own questions. I tend to eat 3 pieces of fruit a day and usually end the day with between 80 and 100 grams of sugars. And, not eating fruit is just not an option, I love it. The suggestions I read said that you really don't need to pay attention to that column unless you are diabetic or advised by your doctor to maintain a low sugar diet. You could either delete that column on your diary view so you don't have to see it (maybe track your carbs, which are fiber and sugars, instead) If you like having your sugars under surveillance you could go through your day and subtract your fruit sugars from that total so you know what added sugars your getting in everything else you're eating.

I deleted my column today. I have researched this a lot and have come to the conclusion that the sugars in the fruit I'm eating is not going to cause me to gain weight.

Good luck :) And, enjoy the fruit without worry about your total sugars!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Excellent post by yarwell that's worth the read:

So what's with this Sugar than? FAQ
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Excellent post by yarwell that's worth the read:

So what's with this Sugar than? FAQ
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

Good read. Thanks!
  • lynnlc
    lynnlc Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :)